Biggest Tank For the XR650L??

11 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:22 PM

I see that IMS has a 4.0 and Clarke has a 4.7

Anyone make any others?

As of now i am leaning towards the clarke 4.7, but would prefer something bigger if possible

Thanks

• rebelventurer

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:36 PM

check out the acerbis tanks, i beleive they have a six gallon, however i have also heard that their six gallon only holds five point two. I have an 04 L model and have the clarke four gallon, actually holds four gallons, get around 120-35 miles before reserve, with a gallon in reserve but half of that is on the right side to access that fuel i have to lean the bike over to allow it to run to the left side. good luck with your quest and let us know what you do.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:40 PM

check out the acerbis tanks, i beleive they have a six gallon, however i have also heard that their six gallon only holds five point two. I have an 04 L model and have the clarke four gallon, actually holds four gallons, get around 120-35 miles before reserve, with a gallon in reserve but half of that is on the right side to access that fuel i have to lean the bike over to allow it to run to the left side. good luck with your quest and let us know what you do.

Thanks Rebel

I cant find anything about an Acerbis for the L model.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Check out my garage (and others, I am sure) for pics of some aftermarket tanks. Mine is a Clarke 4.7, and there's a comparison shot or two in there.

Keep in mind a bigger tank is more weight when full, and more weight that is up high.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Nice Ride Phuzz!

Thanks for the pics, i dig the look of the 4.7 Clarke and will be ordering one soon! Thanks! I am going to go with the clear one so i always know how much fuel i got!

Also, slick idea with the tool bag, i am going to upgrade mine to a nice moose one and then move the stock one to the front fender as well! Good idea!

Thanks

• justicedone

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Beware, the white or "clear" ones do fade a lot and yellow on you, then look like crap. I have ridden my Clarke 4.0 all day offroading at least 8hrs before needing more gas, and had reserve to get me to the store. So I think for the wieght and fit, its ideal. But I know your thinking Baja runs later on so I understand. But me I would rather have 200mi range or so and go back to my truck etc and top off again...just mho

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boston Mangler

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Beware, the white or "clear" ones do fade a lot and yellow on you, then look like crap. I have ridden my Clarke 4.0 all day offroading at least 8hrs before needing more gas, and had reserve to get me to the store. So I think for the wieght and fit, its ideal. But I know your thinking Baja runs later on so I understand. But me I would rather have 200mi range or so and go back to my truck etc and top off again...just mho

:lame:

I thought your tank was a 4.7?

Also, yes, i am aware of the "yellowing" but still think its ok cause i wont need to peak into the tank to check my fuel level! :thumbsup:

• RichW

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:51 AM

My buddy got the Acerbis 6.0 gal. tank. It was a major pain to mount and the bars hit the tank. Also, the petcocks are held in with self tapping sheet metal screws.
I bought the Clarke 4.7 gal. version. It fit the stock mounts perfectly. The bars and blinkers clear it. The stock petcock fits onto the adapter that is supplied. The adapter is secured with molded in metal threads and machine screws.
I felt the Clarke was better quality and American made. It was also less expensive and if you mention their ad in Dirt Bike magazine they take off another 10%.

• pigryder

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:15 AM

hey I got my 4.7 clarke from and ebay store for like 175.00 shipped, let me know and I'll look up the store again, and shipping was like 2 days!!!!

• TARFELE

Posted October 02, 2006 - 03:16 PM

I got my 4.7 in last Tuesday. Shipped to the door was $166 direct from Clarke. Tell them you saw their add in Dirt Rider or if you are an AMA member you get 10% off.

They are a great company. In 2005 I sold my 01 650L to a guy. He found that the 4.7 I had on it had a small crack in the seem. He called them and told them and they sent him a new one.

By the way the red sure looks good

I read in a previous post about the dirt bike discount but I will leave it mine, cause it is dirt rider also

Sorry I had to edit!

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Guys!

Clarke 4.7 it is!

• carguy

Posted November 10, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Soo quick to choose.

PM me on the SDAR site.:cheers:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.