Sunday ride ruined, bike won't start help!!

17 replies to this topic
  • stoneagegixer

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Hey guys,

I've had the bike 3 months and only put on it 200 km. I've been busy with the kids and work so riding took a back seat. I was waiting for a SM set up which i've installed 3 weeks ago, so I'm a happy camper.
FYI its a stock xr650r 2000. runs perfect (was). It has edelbrock carb and fmf pipe. That is all.
Problem:
Sunday eve, I had 2 hours to burn so I was going to go to Niagara Falls to check out the scene. My buddy showed up to join me for the ride.
I kicked the bike over and it started on the second kick (it usually starts first, no problem). My idle has been low because it seems to stall when I do stoppies, so as the bike started I went to the carb and turned the knob on the left side (idle I hope). I turned it to the left and the bike stalled. Shit!!
I turned the knob clockwise to the point where it was before. Kick the bike over. Nothing. Open throttle, cycle engine to clear fuel. try and start it again...nothing. Try bump starting it, nothing but sweat off my back. I was doing this for about 45 minutes. No luck. In my wise idea, I decided to turn the knob further the right. Didn't start. Then I thought I put it the wrong way, so I spun the knob the opposite way. Diddn't start.
NOW, I don't even know where the idle knob should be. Turn it all the way clockwise or all the way counterclockwise? Anyone with ideas.
The nearest bike shop is about 5 km away and I don't want to push it there :thumbsup: Posted Image

• rockn6gs

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:28 PM

You might try pulling the spark plug and kick it over a few times and have a look a the plug if it's got a few miles on it and has been gas fouled you might try changing the spark plug.

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:46 PM

The float on your Edelbrock Carburetor is stuck shut. Hit the carb. real hard on the side till you see a lot of air bubbles move through your fuel line. (that is if you have a see through fuel line)

• madxr4

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Did you try a full throttle with full choke start?
The reason I ask is that I did the same thing the other day at an emissions testing center. I was turning the idle screw the wrong way and ended up wearing a hole in the sole of my shoe by the time I FT/FC kicked it and reset the idle.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I beleive you upset mr edelbrock by turning the dial a jet setting instead of the idle adjustment screw, now you have the mixture way off and the beast wont fire until you get the jet right, Edelbrocks dont have a choke they have an accelerator pump, was always told two good cranks on throttle, then kick it.

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Did you try a full throttle with full choke start?
The reason I ask is that I did the same thing the other day at an emissions testing center. I was turning the idle screw the wrong way and ended up wearing a hole in the sole of my shoe by the time I FT/FC kicked it and reset the idle.

Edelbrock does not have a choke.

The Edelbrock have an issue with the float needle. It is very comon for it to get stuck. That will let the engine run for a while and then sputter then stop. Will not start again till you fix the problem.

• Max Power

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Pave your driveway.

• suzuki2stroker

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:52 PM

turn your gas on

• stoneagegixer

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I beleive you upset mr edelbrock by turning the dial a jet setting instead of the idle adjustment screw, now you have the mixture way off and the beast wont fire until you get the jet right, Edelbrocks dont have a choke they have an accelerator pump, was always told two good cranks on throttle, then kick it.

God, I hope you're joking!!!! I turned the jetting screw??? The thing that I turned emerges on the left side of the bike (when sitting on it) It is a cable with a plastic knob on it. That is not the idle? How do I correct the problem? I don't want to be leaning it out. :lame: Which way do I turn it to make it rich. clockwise? Again if that is what I messed with i'm in trouble.
Thanks also to all that answered. I will slap the carb if that could be the problem with the float. I will check the plug if it doesnt' go. But Taht was done when I got the bike and the plug is new or near new....
The gas was on reserve the whole time and there is gas in the tank...
IF I was turning the idle cablescrew (and I don't know what I was doing since my stock manual doesnt' help) how do I set the idle.....
What have I got myself into. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • suzuki2stroker

Posted October 02, 2006 - 06:54 AM

if you lay ther bike on its side does gas pour out? if not its a stuck float

• stoneagegixer

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:04 AM

if you lay ther bike on its side does gas pour out? if not its a stuck float

I'll try the bike again today. yesterday, there was some gas smell but nothing was coming out from the overflow. Still, I NEED to find out what the hell I was turning. The cable that comes out of the carb and has a small plastic knob on it. What the hell is that? I spun it all over the place and now I don't know where it should be????

• cat0020

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:56 AM

The cable that comes out of the carb and has a small plastic knob on it.

As far as I know that knob changes the engine idle speed, regardless of the engine being cold or hot, so it is not a choke.

• suzuki2stroker

Posted October 02, 2006 - 02:30 PM

yeah, its probly an idle adjuster. pull off the float bowl and un-stick the needle valve.

• XHMXR

Posted October 02, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Since the diameter of the float seat is so small, the amount of force the gasoline puts on the needle is small. If the carburator has any machining burrs on the needle or seat it pretty easy to get stuck. Two things I do to check this. You can get carburator cleaner in a spray can with the little red nozzle tube. Put the little red thinggy in the overflow and give it a squirt for a few seconds. This puts the cleaner into the float bowl. It will start on carb cleaner. Then try to start the bike. If it starts the problem is a stuck needle. If this is the case, go to the grocery store and purchase a small squeezable mustard or catsup bottle empty of course. take the fuel line off of the petcock and insert the nozzle of the squeezable bottle in to the rubber hose and give a couple of quick squeezes forcing a small amount of air pressure against the needle. This is usually enough force to force the needle to drop. If it works the bike should start and the vibration of the running engine is usually enough to keep the needle from seating hard. This can get you to a dealer or whom ever can help you with it. Or you can take the Carb apart and polish the sides of the seat tube where the needle rubs and then the edges of the three or four sided needle. Be careful not to touch the point of the needle or the seat that it seals on with the polishing cloth. Im talking about silverware jewelers rouge polishing cloth or a piece of brown paper grocery bag (Its cheep)and just abrasive enough. This is also a trick for cleaning points on older autos. I have unstuck the seats by putting the rubber hose in my mouth and blowing into the carb. It doesnt taste too good but is better than walking or taking a hammer to the side of the carburator. Some of the floats have a wire that is connected from the float to the needle and the hope is that when the float drops it will pull the needle down and allow gasoline to flow into the bowl. Its a good design but they still stick. Good luck

• creeky

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:03 PM

Edelbrock does not have a choke.

The Edelbrock have an issue with the float needle. It is very comon for it to get stuck. That will let the engine run for a while and then sputter then stop. Will not start again till you fix the problem.

Some older Edelbrocks do not have a pump, but an enrichment device for cold starting, I have one.

• captb

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:27 PM

Your screewed, my friend turned his knob and it never ran again :thumbsup:

• stoneagegixer

Posted October 02, 2006 - 10:12 PM

Pave your driveway.

Easy there, I just bought the bike with a credit card, driveway will have to wait :thumbsup: :lame:

• stoneagegixer

Posted October 02, 2006 - 10:15 PM

Since the diameter of the float seat is so small, the amount of force the gasoline puts on the needle is small. If the carburator has any machining burrs on the needle or seat it pretty easy to get stuck. Two things I do to check this. You can get carburator cleaner in a spray can with the little red nozzle tube. Put the little red thinggy in the overflow and give it a squirt for a few seconds. This puts the cleaner into the float bowl. It will start on carb cleaner. Then try to start the bike. If it starts the problem is a stuck needle. If this is the case, go to the grocery store and purchase a small squeezable mustard or catsup bottle empty of course. take the fuel line off of the petcock and insert the nozzle of the squeezable bottle in to the rubber hose and give a couple of quick squeezes forcing a small amount of air pressure against the needle. This is usually enough force to force the needle to drop. If it works the bike should start and the vibration of the running engine is usually enough to keep the needle from seating hard. This can get you to a dealer or whom ever can help you with it. Or you can take the Carb apart and polish the sides of the seat tube where the needle rubs and then the edges of the three or four sided needle. Be careful not to touch the point of the needle or the seat that it seals on with the polishing cloth. Im talking about silverware jewelers rouge polishing cloth or a piece of brown paper grocery bag (Its cheep)and just abrasive enough. This is also a trick for cleaning points on older autos. I have unstuck the seats by putting the rubber hose in my mouth and blowing into the carb. It doesnt taste too good but is better than walking or taking a hammer to the side of the carburator. Some of the floats have a wire that is connected from the float to the needle and the hope is that when the float drops it will pull the needle down and allow gasoline to flow into the bowl. Its a good design but they still stick. Good luck

You guys all rock. Today I got the bike going. It must have been the stuck carb. I kicking it over and nothing. I took out a large screw driver (this is before I read the above good advice) and banged it around the carb. I kicked it over again and it started up. It started up and was reving at about 5000 rmp. I turned the idle up to much during my voyage of discovery. Again thanks. :thumbsup: :lame:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.