2007 question?

6 replies to this topic
  • kyle450rider

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:15 AM

I picked up yamaha's offroad catalog yesterday while i was in the yammie shop.One of the new features on the new 450 was all new jetting.If yamaha rejetted the big bike how come i have seen some people with new 2007's rejetting.I know altitude makes a huge difference but you would think that they would be good right out of the box.I was seriously hoping that this was one thing that yamaha addressed especially seeing how many posts last year when the 2006 models came out.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:48 AM

you have to jet to your elevation, riding conditions, temp, etc.

no company can get the jetting right for every person right outta the box
how did you come up with new jetting as a new feature for 07?

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:53 AM

From Yamaha:

Main Jet #160
Main Air Jet #200
Jet Needle NFLR-4
Needle Jet NA
Pilot Air Jet 1 #100
Pilot Outlet 0.9
Pilot Jet #45

Note that the pilot jet is a 45, as opposed to the 42, and the needle is the NFLR recommended for the '06 by Doug Dubach. Still has the rather lean 160 main jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kyle450rider

Posted October 01, 2006 - 09:26 AM

you have to jet to your elevation, riding conditions, temp, etc.

no company can get the jetting right for every person right outta the box
how did you come up with new jetting as a new feature for 07?

I understand that!What i meant was,how come people are still having to rejet there 2007's.MY last 2 bikes i owned i never rejetted and ran plug test on them and they were always good.I think most people never rejet they just adjust the fuel screw.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:27 PM

.MY last 2 bikes i owned i never rejetted and ran plug test on them and they were always good.I think most people never rejet they just adjust the fuel screw.

Kyle the plug test is a great indicator of lean or rich conditions. I have found that even with stock jetting the bikes I have had at my altitude, run fine....but with some tinkering and tweeking with different jets and needles you can really fine tune your machine to really run much crisper, have better throttle response and in the case with JD Jetting kits, give added power :thumbsup:

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 02, 2006 - 03:41 PM

do plug chops work on thumpers?? i thought that was a 2 stroke check?! for my elevation, 5000 ft, i usually had to lean my smokers and now have to richen my thumper and the thumper is far more fussy with jetting then the smokers.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Plug chops work for main jet selection, but not very well with unleaded fuels. They will come out white unless it's very rich.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.