Smashed my head...er

7 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Took a spill yesterday and smashed my header...bonked my head too. Gonna have to replace the head-pipe and want to compare different brands vs OEM for replacement.

FMF has both a free-flow head pipe for $150 and their PowerBomb for $50 more.

Who's using what and is it better than stock?

• kawirider

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:49 AM

My Dr.D system header pipe is awsome. They are really cheap too.

• Goosedog

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:25 AM

My Dr.D system header pipe is awsome. They are really cheap too.

Is that run with your stock muffler?

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:48 AM

The length of the header affects the rpm range in which the exhaust system is most effective. Shorter ones work better at higher revs than longer ones. The design of the Power Bomb is intended to damp the shock waves in the pipe and foll the engine into seeing it as a header without a particular fixed length, the result being a very wide, flat power curve. They work quite well, but they are a bit pricey.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThompsonV311

Posted October 01, 2006 - 09:10 AM

Rockymountainmc.com has the powerbomb for $170 with free shipping. :thumbsup:

• Goosedog

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:02 AM

Is anyone using the FMF free-flow header with the stock can and seeing an improvement?

• kawirider

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:37 AM

The Dr.D I have is not with the stock header but you can get a full stainless steel Dr.D system for less than $500 brand new so I dont see why you wouldnt go for it.

• Goosedog

Posted October 02, 2006 - 07:56 AM

The Dr.D I have is not with the stock header but you can get a full stainless steel Dr.D system for less than $500 brand new so I dont see why you wouldnt go for it.

Two reasons: one, I just bought a system for my Husky and the budget's shot for awhile. And two, I really like the stock muffler on the YZ and have just recently repacked it.

It looks like I can get the FMF header for about a buck and a half so I'll probably go that route. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.