xr650r dualsport, long mileage trip????

16 replies to this topic
  • farmerjohn42

Posted September 30, 2006 - 10:17 PM

I am thinking about a dualsport xr650r. I am planning a trip to baja in march of 07. I have read that the bike does fine in normal dual sport conditions. What I would like is some information if any body has put a 3k mile trip on them going from, example, Calif. to the tip of Baja and back. I have read the sub frame is weak and needs to be modified. Will this bike do the trip and in what ways have you kept it from being being stolen, hince no key on the bike. I probably should buy a klr as my friend has but I just can't seem buy one myself. Am I in the wrong mind set? Afterall the xr650r is the king of Baja. I could go with the more street models but I have had a street model in the past and it seems one gives up alot on those once in the dirt. On the trip it will be mostly hard road riding with occansional stretches on the beach and well as some exploring (which could be anywhere.) Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

• Boston Mangler

Posted September 30, 2006 - 11:12 PM

XR650L is also an option!

Similiar to the XR (but more dated) but it has a key, is street legal and has a bulletproof motor. Probably the most dirt oriented of the bigger dual sports too!

I just got one and went on my first ride today, absolutely love it!

• J_T

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:29 AM

If you have gone through the weak points that are known to the pig (Few and simple but important) and assured that they are remedied, or carry along what it takes to repair or check I don't see why 3K would be a problem. Again assuming you can keep up with normal maintenance and checks on the road like oil changes, valve checks/adjustments, carry spare kick starter bolt. I'd carry a spare counter shaft seal, loctight. Spare Thermostat if you running one maybe? Keep an eye on Temps though.

IF you are familiar to dualsport rides then this shouldn't be new to you. if you are asking about the distance? What's 3K miles over a few weeks with maintenance done or over a year with maintenance thats how I'm thinking about it....BUT....I haven't done any Dual sport rides with that sort of distance....YET!!!

• Miguel159

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:59 AM

I've done tha Baja twice on big D/S bikes. I think that I would prefer to ride my XRR on day trips and stay in one locale like San Felipe, Mike's Sky Ranch, Mulege etc. You stated you'd likely be riding mostly on the slab with some beach stuff. For that, I'd suggest the XLR, KLR or 640 Adv. Even if you upgrade the sub-frame on the XR you still can't carry much and risk breaking it. If you take an XRR, you'll want to be riding all off road and your KLR buddy won't keep up. I'm sure this will piss off KLR riders, but there's no way a KLR would keep up with an XRR in the long sandy stretches south of Gonzaga Bay :lame: (unless you're J. Lewis! :thumbsup: ). If you get an XRR, slighty modify your plans to ride off-road on the Sea of Cortez coast. That's where ALL the best scenery is too. Just my .02 worth.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 09:08 AM

On a side note, how is the subframe of the XR650L?

thanks

• Ferdinand

Posted October 01, 2006 - 11:39 AM

IMO I would say the subframe (for packing strength) is somewhat better then the R, but not as good compared to a KLR650. I'll take a weaker subframe over that tank anyday. I'm sure there are ways to make it stronger)(no offense to KLR650, nice bike, just not for me) :thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:22 PM

The bike has many Baja 1000 titles under its belt, and going from Ca to Cabo and back on a Dual Sport trip is like a walk in the park. For security, park your bike in the hotel room, . :thumbsup:

• gaspipe

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:04 PM

The XR, in the dual sport arena, is a tank. A tank that has a very limited weight carrying ability though.

I did a 4,000 mile, two week run this summer on the Transam Trail on my '03. The stock XR motor is bulletproof, as long as you do your part.

I did an oil & filter change at the 1/2 way point, and the bike never used any oil.
When I got home, the intake valves were a tad tight, exhausts fine.

Go for it. Spend some time prepping the bike and have at it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:26 PM

My '01 is DS'd. Only problem I see with your trip--other than those posted above--is your butt, halfway through the first day. But either you can mod your seat (Renazco if you got bucks or Guts if you can roll your own) or take some 200-300 mi break-in trips in the weeks before. Otherwise, mid-way through day 2 your butt will have figured out the drill and you'll be fine.

It all comes down to how passionate you are about owning an XR650R. All bikes mentioned above a good bikes. But they are not an XR650R.

Re luggage you can pack light on a modded sub-frame, wear a reasonable backpack and add a dirt-specific tank bag. "Pack light" is always a good plan for any road trip. Teaches us discipline.

Ride safe and keep us posted.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:34 PM

other than those posted above--is your butt, halfway through the first day. But either you can mod your seat (Renazco if you got bucks or Guts if you can roll your own) or take some 200-300 mi break-in trips in the weeks before.

Care to elaborate? I just did my first trip with my new XR650L and the bike was amazing, however, my ass hurts big time! Does it need time to break in or what? What is a Renazco? I was looking into Corbins as well.

Any advice?

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Care to elaborate? I just did my first trip with my new XR650L and the bike was amazing, however, my ass hurts big time! Does it need time to break in or what? What is a Renazco? I was looking into Corbins as well.

Any advice?

How many days was your trip?

My first 2 or 3 day-long rides on my XR650R dang near made me want to sell the bike. Now, I notice longer rides but they don't bother me near as much. (I still have the factory seat on my bike).

I was simply saying that --for me-- all long rides (mulitple days) have a break-in period of a day or two before my butt gets into the groove. Even on my Corbin-equipped ElectraGlide, the first day always hurts after about 400 miles. Then, sometime on day 2 or 3, I'm bullet-proof. Its like your butt gets used to it, I guess.

Renazco makes what is arguably the best DS seat on the market. I do not have one but what I have read, anyone who buys one loves it. Guts will sell you soft, medium or hard replacement seat foam, in either standard or "Tall" styles. If Corbin made a seat for the XRR I'd seroiusly consider it, cost or no. My wife and I both have solo Corbin's on our Harleys and for long distance they are amazing. What's weird is they are HARD when you sit on them and you think "No way this is going to be comfortable!!" But they are. Weird. Alas, Corbin doesn't make a seat for the R, only for the L. Lucky duck!

This winter I am seriously considering getting a Guts tall/soft seat foam and a new cover and doing a new seat for my R. I think it'll be about 80-90 bucks total. If I do go that route I will "step" the area where I normally sit, to allow a broader contact patch, more area for the old butt to sit on. :thumbsup:

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the info!

My trip was only a 1 dayer and we covered about 150 miles. After about 100 miles or so, my butt was killing me!

Is the Corbin with the money? Will it alleviate the butt pain? :thumbsup:

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the info!

My trip was only a 1 dayer and we covered about 150 miles. After about 100 miles or so, my butt was killing me!

Is the Corbin with the money? Will it alleviate the butt pain? :thumbsup:

I can only speak for Corbins used on Harleys, unfortunately. But I can say I have bought 3 for Harleys. They work.

You might want to get some opinions on Guts and Renazco as well.

• Ferdinand

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Another alternative to corbin is a buttbuffer insert installed in the seat. A coworker told me about them after her and her husband had them installed in their Titan Choppers and were very pleased with the results. Check site by same name, it explains the whole process and lists dealers throughout the country who install them. Its a gel like polymer installed in the seat. They cut out some foam and recover seat using stock or custom cover. I had one done for one of my L's. Large insert installed was 150. I had a custom cover put on so it was 225. Definitely worth it! I've road close to 700-800 miles in 3 days with no ploblems. The longest single day was about 350miles, no monkey butt and I would have no problems riding further. The seat looks exactly the same you can't tell anything is different until you sit on it of course. I'm probably going to get one installed on my R eventually, but most of the long rides I use my L's. :thumbsup:

• gaspipe

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:56 PM

I have an SDG tall seat on the long hauler 650, and a Guts on the other. Both are fine for me. YMMV.

Seats are like tires. You need to find what you like and what works for you.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:36 AM

Another alternative to corbin is a buttbuffer insert installed in the seat. A coworker told me about them after her and her husband had them installed in their Titan Choppers and were very pleased with the results. Check site by same name, it explains the whole process and lists dealers throughout the country who install them. Its a gel like polymer installed in the seat. They cut out some foam and recover seat using stock or custom cover. I had one done for one of my L's. Large insert installed was 150. I had a custom cover put on so it was 225. Definitely worth it! I've road close to 700-800 miles in 3 days with no ploblems. The longest single day was about 350miles, no monkey butt and I would have no problems riding further. The seat looks exactly the same you can't tell anything is different until you sit on it of course. I'm probably going to get one installed on my R eventually, but most of the long rides I use my L's. :thumbsup:

Very Cool! Thanks for the heads up!

• HC

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:26 PM

here is my fix
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411447

here is another solution $25, sweet cheeks
http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=4632307415

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.