What is the concept behind a smaller dia head pipe?

9 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:53 PM

yea, like the yosh full system has a header noticeably smaller in dia than stock for the first half of the header.

I realize it is probably affecting the gasses swirling or something like that, but is that supposed to increase top end, low end...somehow increase hp????

• FZ1426

Posted September 30, 2006 - 06:16 AM

Compared to a larger head pipe, a smaller diameter head pipe increases gas velocity as it exits the head. It will increase low end/midrange (torque). It also allows for an increase in diameter further back which improves overall scavenging characteristics and top end (rev).

• Foxman06

Posted September 30, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I couldnt have put it better myself

• 700MX

Posted September 30, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Compared to a larger head pipe, a smaller diameter head pipe increases gas velocity as it exits the head. It will increase low end/midrange (torque). It also allows for an increase in diameter further back which improves overall scavenging characteristics and top end (rev).

Thanks....Just got my yosh full system for my 07, and was suprised to see the smaller dia, and was like &%$#@!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Whether this is true or not depends on the point at which the first upward step in diameter is placed. On old school pipes that were a single diameter over their whole length all the way to the end, a megaphone, or a muffler, smaller, and/or longer, pipes do equate to a lower rpm power peak. But with a stepped header, this doesn't follow as neatly.

A pipe that starts out small and makes the first upward step well back from the head is likely to be biased more toward higher rpm than one that steps up closer to the exhaust port, especially if the second pipe is longer overall.

But you are correct that the smaller diameter increases exhaust velocity, and that increases the effect that each step increase in section has on the way the pipe works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machweezy

Posted September 30, 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hey 700 did you install your pipe yet? Does yoshimura already have an 07 pipe or is it an 06? I wasn't so lucky with my fmf (06 on 07). fmf does not have 07's yet.

• 700MX

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:39 AM

Hey 700 did you install your pipe yet? Does yoshimura already have an 07 pipe or is it an 06? I wasn't so lucky with my fmf (06 on 07). fmf does not have 07's yet.

Yes yosh has the full system (same as 06), but the slip ons are all different because the stock headpipe dia at the junction is different than 06

The craftmanship of the yosh is sweet! I am waiting to try it, my suspension is in cali @ MB1

• tmckeown

Posted October 01, 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

How much smaller is that diameter ? Could you measure it for me please ?

Timo Mc

• 700MX

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

How much smaller is that diameter ? Could you measure it for me please ?

Timo Mc

What DIA are you wanting....The yosh head pipe @ the head?

• tmckeown

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

Yes, that would be nice

Timo Mc

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.