Cleaning air filter question...how much oil?

11 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I just cleaned my air filter for the first time and it was a little tough to gauge how much oil to use. I'm using a Foam Filter Treatment I picked up at the Yami dealer and oiled it in a clear plastic bag. It didn't seam to flow through the filter very well so I just kept adding it until it was well coated. I'd estimate that I used about half of the 16 oz bottle. Does that seem about right. It's been drying for the 15 minutes recommended on the bottle but still seems pretty wet. If that's the right amount then I"m going to be going through a lot of this stuff if I use 1/2 bottle each time.

Thanks!

• FlameDog

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:40 PM

how many miles have you gone on this filter? just curious
what brand is the filter oil,
i have been using no-toil, i seem to use a ton of it to get my moose filter reddish through and through, i know i probly use too much oil, so i just take another dry filter and stuff it in the bag and work the both of them together until the 1st on seems evenly coated, so far i havent sucked any oil along the intake boot so it must be ok,
the bonus of this system is the second filter is almost ready to go with just a lil more oil in the bag,
hope this helps

• gdm

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Saturate the filter and then squeeze out all the excess. One bottle should be good for about 6-8 filter cleanings.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted September 29, 2006 - 09:38 PM

Half a bottle is way too much! Like Flame dog said, saturate it and wring it out carefully.

• red7

Posted September 29, 2006 - 10:14 PM

The brand is Maxima...bought it at the local Yamaha store. I thought 1/2 bottle was way too much as well but the inside of the stock filter was still yellow so I kept adding. There is nothing to wring out which is why I'm confused. Then again the stock filter isn't all that easy to wring out given the plastic frame. I unhooked the frame but it still has that plastic piece going through it which keeps me from balling up the filter. I have a uni filter coming so hopefully that will be a little easier to work with.

• red7

Posted September 29, 2006 - 10:20 PM

btw- if there is way too much on the filter, what do I do? Will it damage the engine if it sucks some of that in there? I couldn't have covered the filter good with much less then I used.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Geoffsta

Posted September 30, 2006 - 01:26 AM

Just wring it out, then leave it in the sun to dry.

• red7

Posted September 30, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Right on, I was able to wring a little more out and I'll go throw it out in the sun. It shouldn't take too long since it's so hot here in Arizona. I just hope it doesn't melt.

• FlameDog

Posted September 30, 2006 - 12:39 PM

i 'm sorry i can barely type right now! :thumbsup:
it is all good though, the learning curve is huge on this site, i have also learned a ton of stuff that i never even had a clue before either,

take the filter in you hands, you see that little stem sticking out that goes right through the filter gasket surface (black side) just unhook it from there,
now just lightly lift the filter away from the plastic thing inside, now it will only be holding on be the center piece, just give it a slow firm pull and the foam will work its way off that piece, it will feel like it is about to rip, but it wont, now you can clean that filter really good,and then you can scrunch it up into a little ball in that plastic bag, when you put it back on it will need to be pulled right back through that center hole all the way, after awhile it will seem like no biggy,
good luck hope this helps, btw what are you usiing to clean the filter?

• Beejay

Posted September 30, 2006 - 03:44 PM

Do NOT wring it out, this damages the filter & leaves an unequal coating, just squeeze the excess out without wringing its neck.

• gdm

Posted October 01, 2006 - 04:09 PM

The brand is Maxima...bought it at the local Yamaha store. I thought 1/2 bottle was way too much as well but the inside of the stock filter was still yellow so I kept adding. There is nothing to wring out which is why I'm confused. Then again the stock filter isn't all that easy to wring out given the plastic frame. I unhooked the frame but it still has that plastic piece going through it which keeps me from balling up the filter. I have a uni filter coming so hopefully that will be a little easier to work with.

The round plastic piece slides of the prongs. Then the filter comes right off for easy servicing.

• red7

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Man, I wondered if that plastic piece came out some how but it looks like it's glued on and would tear when I started pulling on it. Now I know how to do it. Thanks for the advice!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.