Optimal chain tension

5 replies to this topic
  • DarthWader

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted but, have come across a difference of opinion with some of my riding buddies and I wanted to get y'alls opinion. The manual says to have chain tension at X-Y mm slack from the guard to the chain with the bike up off the ground. I've set the tension to the lowest point of that range and it seems to run fine. I get minimal slap when I lock up the rear or the rear is locking from engine braking. Anyway, my buddies keep telling me that is too loose as they do the 3 finger test when the bike is sitting on the suspension (sans me). I'm loathe to tighten it down anymore since I'm running spec and I'm also a big guy (300+) so my "sag" is a bit more than most. I don't bottom the suspension much but, probably tend to use the lower 3rd more than a lot of people.

So who do I believe? The manual (leaning that way) or my buddies who have a bit more years of riding? I don't want to overstress the drive shaft and I don't want to unnecessarily stretch the chain - its already stretched twice.

Thanks in advance for your input!

• mikedabike

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:40 PM

Run what the manual says. Find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust that point to the minimum spec. If you run it too tight you will eventually break the rear hub.

• Beejay

Posted September 30, 2006 - 04:01 PM

You really want to do it properly have a read from this link. The 3 finger way is BS everyones fingers are not the same, jeez my one buddies three finger width is like all 5 of mine.

http://www.e-dirt.co...ts.asp?TID=2177

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jekel

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Do as the manual says to be safe!!!

• LimyWPom

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:57 AM

I totally agree with the others, go with the manual, especially as you're a big bloke, I believe it is when the suspension is fully depressed that the chain will be tighter. I also run on the tighter side of spec at 2 inches, to avoid the chain hitting the frame as some TT'rs have experienced. My 05 was way too tight, below spec's when I picked it up from the dealers brand new.

• Gadsen

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Run what the manual says. Find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust that point to the minimum spec. If you run it too tight you will eventually break the rear hub.

Or even worse, break the countershaft. Did it on an old KX125 I had years ago! Sag the suspension to where you can draw an imaginary line through the countersprocket to the rear axle and it must pass directly over the middle of the swingarm bolt. This will pu thte chain at its shortest point. Now set it up with some slack. No tension, and leave a little for heating and colling which can shrink a chain. Then you can get an idea where it should be when setting on your stand at this point.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.