Baby Mechanic Steps....

6 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:57 PM

If you may remember...I'm a noob and scared of wrenches.

However, I want to mod my 07L....

I think I can handle the skid plate, fin, gas tank...

but the uncork, unsnork and exhaust all have me worried...

Of those three, the unsnorkling seems easiest...

Do I just buy the kit, pull the snorkle off and screw in the kit? Do I have to take carb or seat off?

Would this be the easiest engine mod for a newb such as me?

Thanks.

• olinmat

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Don't be scared of wrenching on your bike. Get the Honda manual and some torque wrenches.

I used to be scared too. Just start into some stuff and you will gradually start learning a few things. Bikes are not too complicated.

Good luck.

• jbird710

Posted September 29, 2006 - 05:24 PM

Don't be scared of wrenching on your bike. Get the Honda manual and some torque wrenches.

Before you pulling things off and changing things up, do as olimat says and get a manual. You can pick up a Clymer manual cheap at most shops or online. The best is the Honda manual and you can find these cheap on eBay if you want to deal with all of that. Or you can buy the factory manual online from Helm Inc. http://www.helminc.c...4VEXJLBDQ8D2U9D
Their site says the 2007 manual hasn't been released. But if you ask for a 2006; you'll be fine. There's no difference in the bikes other than the year model. Read up on the parts you want to change before tearing into it and you'll have no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LandSharkGT

Posted September 29, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I agree with everyone so far about get a manual. Also when removing parts I use digital pictures if I have not ever worked on something before. I take pictures of the assembled unit, then as each peice comes off I take more pictures. I also lay parts out in a neat and orderly fashion on a bench as they come off with some kind of towel or cloth to help soke up residual oil.
Bill

• justicedone

Posted September 29, 2006 - 05:50 PM

All of the mods are pretty basic, the hardest being the jetting and drilling slide, shimming needle of carb. Removing the snorkel is a 30second job, but should be done with air filter, jetting and pipe at same time.

If its just a slip on rear pipe and not even a header, its a 30min job and easy as an oil change.

Dont be afraid man, just be careful and get the info before ya begin.

• squatpuke

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:14 PM

thanks everyone....appreciate your comments....

s'pose if I screw something up, I can post pics and ask for help here.

Thanks again...

• ghoti

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:53 AM

thanks everyone....appreciate your comments....

s'pose if I screw something up, I can post pics and ask for help here.

Thanks again...

Your best bet is to find someone locally to ride with and share tips. Maybe even some lessons for a beer exchange.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.