06 Odometer Issues

11 replies to this topic
  • babyspankynhb

Posted September 29, 2006 - 07:45 AM

I search the forums and no one seems to have a solution, but I'll ask again anyway...

I have an 06 WR450 and it had a crappy battery from the factory. Every time I started the bike the voltage would drop and I would loose my odometer setting. I finally took care of the battery and all, but I got out my bike this morning to start it and it wouldn't turn over.... I got it to finally kick over manually, but when I finally got the bike running I realized my odometer was reset again. :thumbsup: Is there any way to keep it from reseting on it's own? Maybe wire a back up battery for just the speedo. Any suggestions?

• face_plant

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:28 AM

maby you could stack 4 3v watch batteries and wire it inline to the speedo...OR make a battery pack in the same manner and use a switch. so when you park the bike flip on the switch. from my expierience u should test for a parasitic battery drain. it should not draw that much 5 Milia amps at the most(that is a car radio turned off)

• MountainMax

Posted September 29, 2006 - 12:18 PM

find out if you have a bad battery or starting system.......

• babyspankynhb

Posted September 29, 2006 - 12:44 PM

Battery is holding a charge with out a problem and the starter works good. The reason the odometer reset this time is because the engine was so dificult to turn over the motor stopped and pull too much amperage from the battery and the voltage dropped. I had a hell of a time getting it to turn over the first time with the kick starter. After I went through a full stroke manually the e-starter worked perfectly...

• Asgeir

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Try to find a very small 12V battery, hook it up very close to the meter, parallel to the 12V line feed of the meter (+ and -).

Cut the + wire coming from the bikes loom (to the meter and now small battery) and put a 6 Amper diode in series (between the cut ends).

The diode will allow + current to run to the additional (small) battery from the main battery, but prevent the current going from the small battery to the main battery.

• Beejay

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:41 PM

I have removed my battery & charged it on occasions(after drowning it) but have never lost my odometer reading.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I think he means the trip meter resets, A & B, I too have lost mine with a weak battery after using E start (before I done the stator mod)

• Beejay

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Okay, interesting......never noticed if I lost the A or B reading.

• NavyNuke

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:26 PM

only time I lost it was when I left my ignition on for a couple of weeks.

Then again, the drive on my front hub is messed up, and they are backordered till forever, gotta try and fix it myself.

• MountainMax

Posted September 29, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I use the 'A' for gas tank filups and the 'B' for oil change intervals.

• new2blu

Posted September 30, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Energizer makes a 12volt battery that fits in car alarm remotes, so it is light and small. You could wire up a switch to turn it on when needed--the model number is Energizer A23. I also tried finding a small battery like this that was rechargeable that could be permanently installed and recharged by the bike's electrical system;but couldn't find anything.

• babyspankynhb

Posted October 02, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thanks guys... I think I might try the 12v battery w/ a diode so it won't back feed into the main battery. I've just gotta find a battery and a place to mount it now.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.