xr650r.. good for motocross

37 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:03 PM

You do have to be more aggressive going into a turn ( I can stuff it much better going right to left) and I do have times were I come on to early and the bike is lifting the front tire as the rear tire is still sliding. Most of the time I just hold it and it turns out OK, but, there are times I get scared :lame: and back off. I am much more reserved going left to right. I slip the clutch on as I get to the top of the lip of what others double or triple spinning the rear tire (hope you are not the guy to my left) sliding it a little to the left, keeping from launching. It is hard on this body, having to hit so much more instead of air time but, much easier on the mind. I do skip the top of the whoops and if I get sucked in it really sucks to get on top again. I usually wheelie three or so to get back on top. I think it's been at least two years now that I have done a MX track and I am just down the street from Elsinore and Star West right now at work. The kids are pushing to go again but, I am tired of getting hurt. I do much better on the CR250R but, then I am in the air more and sooner or latter I am picking myself up and thinking what am I doing here? :thumbsup:

• 767driver

Posted September 29, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Man, I've had a good time reading these posts. It's true you can ride a BRP on the track. You can be good(if you're professional) or you can just have fun(everyone else).

That said, I've ridden them on the track(I'm not a pro and don't pretend to be one). They are a hoot! I love my BRP. For the most part it smokes anything when I use it for it's intended purpose. When I take it outside it's engineering it becomes a battle between my will and the bikes physics. It weighs more, a lot more, than a motorcrosser and won't turn anywhere near as sharp(at speed).

I finally got tired of fighting the weight and turning characteristics of this bike and bought a RMZ450( I am the size of a NFL Linebacker). Again a pro on the pig would still kick my arse, but on the motocrosser my speed picked up as did my fun factor. In the end thats what it's all about. One other thing is that I can ride longer on a 100lb lighter bike.

Don't get me wrong I own 2 BRP's one is dual sported and the other I am getting ready to ride Baja on. They are great bikes, if someone told me I had to have just one bike , it would be the XR650R. Since thats not the case, I chose to have the best bike for "ME" in the proper discipline. I would recommend the same for anyone.

To answer your question. Hell yeah you can MX your BRP! :thumbsup:

• EXracer14

Posted September 29, 2006 - 07:58 PM

can you hit doubles.. not huge maybe 30 to 40 foot doubles

• huntmaster

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:45 PM

Sure, you can ride MX with a BRP.
Think I'll try it after I'm done my GoldWing trials bike project...which I hope to complete after I finish my CR80 tour of North America. :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:51 PM

can you hit doubles.. not huge maybe 30 to 40 foot doubles

Sure without any trouble as long as you hit the down side.......

I finally got tired of fighting the weight and turning characteristics of this bike and bought a RMZ450

Setting up the suspension and pushing up the forks to 5mm~7mm and running 3.75" race sag are all must if you are going to turn on an MX track. Running 5mm~7mm fork pre-load shims also. Not running the compression to stiff (in fear of the jumps) and running enough rebound all play in it. I would never claim to compete on a MX track even with a CR250R these days but, I can have fun with both and I would do better with a CR250R or CRF450R, even a KTM MXC525 would be better but, the point was the MX part of a GP race at Elsinore or Adelanto GP. I know when the course at Adelanto GP the pro's on the XR650R's just dominate and the when they come screaming down and fly over the water it is amazing. Some say it was 80' over the water the year I was there....it's not but, I can't make it. Elsinore might be a little to much for the BRP, the track is tighter then Adelanto but, that changes a lot over the years. Got an XR650R the go to Glenn Helen and start at the Novice course and then the Pro course. Lots of room to warm up and if your there on a day when there isn't a bunch of real young kid's on CR85's and 125's it is lots of fun. Those young ones have no fear and no mercy. They will crawl right up inside and under you and as they pass you in the air they will ask you to hold there drink while they do a superman :lame: :thumbsup:

• elkinthrobber

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:53 PM

i have had mine on the track before and i am amazed at how fast i am on it....
but the suspension has been reworked. without that i don't think it could be done

• DGA

Posted September 30, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Hey its ok if YOU cant do it but that doesnt mean everyone else isnt capable.

Sure, you can ride MX with a BRP.
Think I'll try it after I'm done my GoldWing trials bike project...which I hope to complete after I finish my CR80 tour of North America. :thumbsup:

:lame:

• Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2006 - 08:21 AM

I beg to differ with the being competitive comment. Unless you can finish in the points in an AMA national, you can't use every last bit of performance that a new motocross bike has. Especially in a class lower than pro/expert. In the lower classes, everyone can still jump, they just can't corner worth a #$%^. If you can carry more speed into and out of the corners on your 650 (and remember that you have all that mass to keep the wheels planted!), you can more than hold your own.

RC and JS would still wax the field at a national if they were on 650's (or a CRF150R). It is all in how bad you want it!

Let me be a bit more clear.

I'm not talking engine at all and am referring to the weight of it. That extra 70 lbs (+ or - some) will tire you (even RC and BS) out much quicker then a 450 and for sure jumping it you can't make mid air corrections like you could a "light" 450. You ceratinly can't dive as deep and as fast in a corner with that machine either, well you probably could (I doubt it though) for a lap or two and there again the weight plays a major factor and will tire you out much quicker from doing so.

Engine wise I certainly agree with you and can understand that's what you thought I was referring to.

The best way to have fun on a M/X course is if you had another 650 dude to practice with also. With others (normal MX bikes), for the most part you will just get smoked and are better off racing against your own lap times if you want to.

• huntmaster

Posted September 30, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hey its ok if YOU cant do it but that doesnt mean everyone else isnt capable.

????
Never said you couldn't do it...but the question was asked. Why would you? They make plenty o' bikes for motosquid duties! It's about the right tool for the job. Like using an adjustable wrench for everything...you can try it, but it won't be pretty in the end! Now back to the GoldWing trials bike project... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted September 30, 2006 - 01:45 PM

????
Never said you couldn't do it...but the question was asked. Why would you? They make plenty o' bikes for motosquid duties! It's about the right tool for the job. Like using an adjustable wrench for everything...you can try it, but it won't be pretty in the end! Now back to the GoldWing trials bike project... :thumbsup:

The reason is because of Grand Pix racing. This is a race with lots of open racing where the XR650R rules, then it goes into a section that is a MX track, and there could be tight trail thrown in.

Elsinore, Adelanto, Glenn Helen all have their version of a GP. The Adelanto GP has a large section that is just made to order for the BRP. The BRP may have a tough time in the MX section but, more then makes up for it in the rest of the race. I do not think that RC or any of the others can do well or even keep up on a CRF150 even if the engine was tricked to it's limit and had the best CR85R suspension on it tune just for them, but, a XR650R with tricked suspension, tune just for the track and the pro like RC or Bubba would be in the front of the pack with a little time getting the bike where they would want it. The 50 pound difference is a big deal between the CRF450R and the XR650R but, not as big of a deal some of you guys make it out to be. I am surprised that so many think that you can't make the suspension work on the BRP.

• justicedone

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:25 AM

http://www.serviceho.../06_500AFX.html

this would eat XRs like breath mints...but its not exactly cheap at 10k
:thumbsup:

• DGA

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:52 AM

for less than 10k you could fab a 650r motor into a CRF chassis and it would be just as fast or faster than the 500. Ofcourse if you put the rest of that money into the motor it would be faster. But then again you would have a hard time finding ways to spend that kind of money on making a 650r motor better.

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2006 - 02:28 PM

http://www.serviceho.../06_500AFX.html

this would eat XRs like breath mints...but its not exactly cheap at 10k
:lame:

Doing what?
I am not a XR650R is the best bike in the world goof but, it has it's niche that no other bike has yet to fill. Some are getting close. I won everything at the PIsmo sand drags on my bike, everything, even a CR500 on NOS! That was the closest thing and it did win one out of five runs. My bike having a bad start off the line. The way the four stroke applies the horsepower to the ground is what makes it. The flex of the forks help in the long desert races. It can't do much in it's stock trim but, then there are few bike that do.....The KTM525 is close as is the Husky 510. But, you are right that the KX500 and CR500 are the ones that do win over the BRP the most! My point is there is something that the XR650R has that other bikes don't and it's not just the weight :thumbsup:

• justicedone

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:38 PM

The thread is about racing a tight track with huge doubles and even triples, in motocross..right? And this is a CR500 custom built motor stuffed in a CR125 frame, seriously can you imagine the respone, agility and power of such a beast. I like all bikes, but seeing this really took me for a loop. I would kill myself on this sic puppy. If I could afford to.

Not trying to bag on the R, silly rabbit.

I save that for the dreaded L threads
Ha ha

• BWB63

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:16 PM

The thread is about racing a tight track with huge doubles and even triples, in motocross..right? And this is a CR500 custom built motor stuffed in a CR125 frame, seriously can you imagine the respone, agility and power of such a beast. I like all bikes, but seeing this really took me for a loop. I would kill myself on this sic puppy. If I could afford to.

Not trying to bag on the R, silly rabbit.

I save that for the dreaded L threads
Ha ha

Dude I have owned three CR500's and have had a blast on the CR500AF. Yes, it is way better on the MX track then a XR650R but, it does not always win the GP's (they have a section of MX) The KX500 and CR500's just don't put the power to the ground in a forward motion the same as a CRF450R or XR650R or KTM 525 or HUSKY 510, lots of power (64bhp) with a red line of 8400 rpm but, there is more to it then just power. With out a doubt I can run any good two smoke way better then the pig on Just a MX track. I know there are some here that say they can turn that around............ :thumbsup: but, I think the bottom line is you can make the BRP fly on a MX track and I have proved that. One point for sure is there are races with full blown MX sections that the XR650R has won...... that is fact. Some of you just don't get out much. The worst problem with the CR500AF is it zings the hands till they are dead in just minutes. Rubber bar mounts and a heavier fly wheel help.

CRF450R frame, CR250 frame what ever it has trouble putting the power to the ground in a foward motion like I said, but, I don't clear the big double or triples anymore and you don't have to. Slip the clutch some as you leave the lip, sliding the bike over land do it again, you lose little on the guys flying through the air. For sure I am getting older at 42 and would not even try to compete with a XR650R on a MX track now but, for fun I would three years ago and I had everyones attention. Could I win....no way.....

• huntmaster

Posted October 02, 2006 - 12:38 PM

The reason is because of Grand Pix racing.

MX was the originally cited question. For Grand Prix racing may I suggest one of these bikes! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• BWB63

Posted October 02, 2006 - 02:10 PM

Haaaaa :thumbsup: I should have said off road Grand Prix....it would be hard to put those bikes through that......

Some facts about Adelanto...
The Adelanto Grand Prix is a closed racecourse!
No Red or Green Sticker limitations!
FREE ADMISSION: It won't cost you anything to watch the greatest off-road Grand Prix in the US!
The Saturday Pro-Race offers a $15,000 purse!
The Pro Quad Race offers a $2,000 Purse
The Team Pro Race offers a $3,000 Purse!
You won't want to miss the famous triple, mud jump and over-under!
All your favorite industry vendors will be represented!
FREE CAMPING! Join the thousands of race enthusiasts in the RV and camp areas next to the track!

It would be wild to see a RC-51 jump the water!

Grand Prix was first a horse race, then Long auto race........it means "grand prize". But, everyone knew that I just thought it was a little trivia.

• Rokatt88

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:03 PM

I think it was Michael Byrne that raced a stripped down XR650R in Australia and he friggin' smoked on it!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.