Reliability issues with 05 wr450

11 replies to this topic
  • Ryah

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:14 PM

I've got a 98 yzf 400 and I'm looking at a 05 wr450 to purchase right now. Are there any reliability issues I need to be aware of with the '05. Any input would be appreciated as I need to act quickly to purchase it. However I don't want a maintenance nightmare on my hands.
Thanks in advance for your input.

• Beejay

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:31 PM

Nope, none whatsoever, one of the most reliable 4T's out there.

• farkawi

Posted September 28, 2006 - 06:46 PM

My '05 has been stone reliable so far. 1200 miles and still has the stock spark plug! Just normal dirt bike maintenance so far. Tires, fluids and now fork seals are going away.

• MTrowbridge

Posted September 28, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Mine's great. No problems at 1,100 miles. Just change the tires and oil, and have fun. Can't recommend it more...

• old man dan

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:27 PM

2000 plus miles, one valve adjustment, two airfilters, countless rear tires, three fronts, oil changes every fourth ride (filter every second oil change) original plug, chain and sprockets. Pretty amazing bike.

• clark4131

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:36 PM

'05 with 2000+ miles. Lots of tires, oil/filter change every 125 miles, one valve adjustment. The only issue I've had is a stripped bolt from overtightening on the skid plate. My fault and easily fixed...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LimyWPom

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:53 PM

same story here, 1200k and going strong. I did have to change my fork seals last season, but I wasn't pulling down the fork wipers and cleaning under them. Now that I've been doing that and using Dirt Skins the type that Velcro on,which I remove and wash after every ride, no problems at all this season. As already mentioned find out if the valve adjustment has been done it seems after initial run in and adjust they stay in spec for a good few thousand miles. If it hasn't already got them get some Unibikers (rad guards) here on TT and some hand guards, and have a blast, after the 400 you should love the button start, they even start good with the kick start.

• flatnacker

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:02 PM

and have a blast, after the 400 you should love the button start, they even start good with the kick start.

Totally agree-the kick starting is a piece of cake-almost as easy as my ol kx125. The onlytime I use the e start now is on th eside of a hill :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:58 PM

I've got a 98 yzf 400 and I'm looking at a 05 wr450 to purchase right now. Are there any reliability issues I need to be aware of with the '05. Any input would be appreciated as I need to act quickly to purchase it. However I don't want a maintenance nightmare on my hands.
Thanks in advance for your input.

I have the same bike. No issues whatsoever. Get bar protectors and a bash plate and just ride the wheels off. Oh yeah, put springs on it before you do anything.

It does have a bad attitude though. Everytime I walk past the bike it whispers "Ride me, Ride me, Ride me..." I just can't get it to shut up. I've got that voice ringing in my head all the time.

The bike just isn't happy sitting in my garage.

• Dodjy

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:38 PM

If it's new, like any new bike, pull apart and greese the rear suspension linkages and head stem bearings. If it's second hand, these bearings will be stuffed if they weren't looked after.

• stonewall

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:57 AM

4,011 miles on my '05 with nothing but routine maintenance. :thumbsup:
She's tough as nails. :lame:

• pkcof

Posted October 01, 2006 - 11:24 PM

ahhh - 3,980 klm of dirt so far and counting !!
The main thing is (as with all bikes) get it set-up properly to begin with i.e Suspension, Jetting etc .. and from then on it is just routine maintenance. I can see mine lasting years and years and ......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.