06 yz450f carb help.......gray help please

7 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted September 28, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Ok I am attempting to rejet this thing whats the easiest way.Carb on or off and please someone give me some very detailed instructions how to, due to the fact that I am a carb dumbass :thumbsup: pictures are helpful also, thanks

• Ranger18

Posted September 28, 2006 - 12:39 PM

All I have to say is GOOD LUCK. I'm pretty good with cars, bikes, and carbs; and I had a hell of a time rejetting my bike. If you are only changing out the main and pilot, I would keep the carb on, but do your self a favor and get a short flat head screw driver that is also very narrow (small diameter thickness) but still has a large enough head to grab the pilot jet. To do this go buy your new jet, then take it to the store with you when you buy the screw driver, and make sure the screw driver is not any wider than the jet. Also the screw driver has to have a good handle on it so you can get a good grip. The main is easy, just use a 1/4 drive ratchet with what ever size socket. So I can't help you more, but yamaha really boned us when they put the carb in these new bikes. :thumbsup: :lame:

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:43 PM

The trouble is that there isn't an easy way, really. If you're not too familiar with the carb, it's really better to remove it and get it up on a bench where you can better see what you're doing. Another reason for it is that if you don't have a special screwdriver for the purpose, it's very tricky to get the pilot jet up into place with the carb upright.

Remove the seat and tank, the upper engine mounts, throttle and hot start cables, and unplug the TPS. Unbolt the exhaust from the sub frame and then remove the sub frame/fender/air box as a unit. Then pull the carb.

• 02YZ426

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:46 PM

The trouble is that there isn't an easy way, really. If you're not too familiar with the carb, it's really better to remove it and get it up on a bench where you can better see what you're doing. Another reason for it is that if you don't have a special screwdriver for the purpose, it's very tricky to get the pilot jet up into place with the carb upright.

Remove the seat and tank, the upper engine mounts, throttle and hot start cables, and unplug the TPS. Unbolt the exhaust from the sub frame and then remove the sub frame/fender/air box as a unit. Then pull the carb.

Wow, thats alot of work just to get the carb out....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matts06yzf

Posted September 28, 2006 - 02:37 PM

ok damn this sounds fun. Next question is should I use the new needle and clips in jet kit or should I just use factory ones and put in new pilot and new main?

• GreenKLX

Posted September 28, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Ya no kidding, on the 426 its just loosen and turn. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:08 PM

The frame spars and the shock are crowded in so close to it, partly because of the more upright cylinder, that in the end it's just easier to pull everything out of the way than to fight with it all. The upside is that the sub frame is a lot easier to R&R than it used to be.

• matts06yzf

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:51 PM

that suckedddddddddddddddddddddd. i had to take rear shock off to get to the carb lost the damn nut that goes on the large top bolt that holds shock on. So I stole one off my 02 yz 250. Does that have a washer that goes before the nut ? I cant remeber. But I got all jets in cant wait to see what she does.Let me know about that washer so if it does have one i can hit up lowes. Thanks

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.