Most power gains from pipe

16 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Everyone is always claiming which pipe is best for sound, power etc :lame:

I am so confused now as all aftermarket pipes seem to be equally good. :thumbsup:

Is there one specific pipe which everyone agrees on & gives you the most power gain for a 06 WR450??

• pjriss

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:11 AM

A pipe that everybody agrees on??? That's a good one! HAHAHA

Personally I like my FMF Q / Powerbomb SX combo. I know for a fact it flows better than than the White Brothers e that I had before because I had to rejet. How much HP gain is anybody's guess cuz I've never had it dyno'd. Besides looking and sounding cool it gives me a chance to make outlandish internet claims about effortless 5th gear wheelies and 100 meter jumps. But seriously, any pipe is only as good as the jetting, header, and intake.

• clark4131

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:29 AM

Pretty much anything is going to give you some sort of gain over stock, unless you ream it out and create a straight-through can. You need to ask yourself a few things first. Do you care about controlling your decibels? Do you care about price? Do you care if it's made from titanium, aluminum, carbon fiber, stainless steel, etc? Rank these in order of importance, and then you can decide which pipe is the best for you. Remember, we're always here to spend your money for you...SC

• boer

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:36 AM

Pretty much anything is going to give you some sort of gain over stock, unless you ream it out and create a straight-through can. You need to ask yourself a few things first. Do you care about controlling your decibels? Do you care about price? Do you care if it's made from titanium, aluminum, carbon fiber, stainless steel, etc? Rank these in order of importance, and then you can decide which pipe is the best for you. Remember, we're always here to spend your money for you...SC

OK :thumbsup:

Ranked in order of importance.
1) Power (low & mid range most important)
2) Cost
3) Material must be strong in case of crashes etc.
4) Last but not least...sound. Doesn't matter. The pipe can be loud as hell as long as ear plugs are not needed for riding :lame:

So how would you spend my hard earned bucks..... :p

• 569x

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:43 AM

I have tried various pipes over the years (FMF, Big Gun, White Brothers, Pro Circuit) and not sure they make that great of a difference. I have found that they are more apt to move the power up or down the powerband but huge HP differences I have not seen.

So I think I would ask myself if I am looking for more low end, mid or top end performance gains.

Hope that helps some.

• clark4131

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:10 AM

Based on your ranking, here's how I'd go...

1. FMF Ti Powercore ($299)
2. ProCircuit T-4 or Ti-4 ($425, $525)
3. White Brothers E2 or Aluminum Pro ($595)
4. Yoshimura TRC or RS-3 ($495, $350)
5. Akropovic Evo ($470)

Best bang for the buck is the FMF, which I have. It gave the bike new life in the low and the mid ranges, but the Ti skin is very thin and tends to dent, but not enough to effect anything. If they made an aluminum version like their last model, it would be perfect...in my opinion, of course...SC

• boer

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Based on your ranking, here's how I'd go...

1. FMF Ti Powercore ($299)
2. ProCircuit T-4 or Ti-4 ($425, $525)
3. White Brothers E2 or Aluminum Pro ($595)
4. Yoshimura TRC or RS-3 ($495, $350)
5. Akropovic Evo ($470)

Best bang for the buck is the FMF, which I have. It gave the bike new life in the low and the mid ranges, but the Ti skin is very thin and tends to dent, but not enough to effect anything. If they made an aluminum version like their last model, it would be perfect...in my opinion, of course...SC

My concern is the denting. How much easier is it denting the Ti can than the other Alu or SS cans? Does the Powercore sound a lot better than stock or is it nearly as quiet?

• boer

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Where does the FMF factory 4.1 fit into the shootout? It's availabe on TT store for $383. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted September 28, 2006 - 02:49 PM

More Boer, hou gaan dit, ry jy nog steeds in die sand?

I fitted (after jetting etc) the GYRT, my theory is it's made by Yamaha for Yamaha, noticable increase in low & mid range, nothing fantastic but the front wheel comes up very easily in mid range.

• boer

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:49 PM

More Boer, hou gaan dit, ry jy nog steeds in die sand?

I fitted (after jetting etc) the GYRT, my theory is it's made by Yamaha for Yamaha, noticable increase in low & mid range, nothing fantastic but the front wheel comes up very easily in mid range.

howzit beejay, alles is bakgat hier ini woestyn.

what GYRT pipe did you fit? Do you have the part no? Did you buy it in SA or from net? How is the sound for the road? Apologies for the thousand questions :thumbsup:

• babyspankynhb

Posted September 29, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I've got a GYTR pipe on my 06 WR450 and there is a HUGE difference. It is pretty loud and I got thier silencer cap for riding on the street. I've got a hook up for Yamaha parts and I get them at cost... The only other pipe I've used is the stock pipe, and that one blows. I did notice a little decrease in power with the silencer tip, but it did make a big volume difference.

• MountainMax

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:30 PM

don't forget about the YZ muffler option, It's quite a bit louder then stock but it's better then just opening up the muffler and the inlet pipe is also larger, They are cheap on ebay and are easy to just bolt on. it made WAY more power then stock,Posted Image

BTW> a little aluminum polish on a rag shines up the old aluminum muffler....

• Beejay

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:54 PM

Ja, bought it from the Yammie agents here in George, its weekend but Monday I'll try get the part number for you. Cost me R3200.00 after a racing discount of 15%.

It is quite noisy for road use when you open her wfo, but hey, this is SA, cops can go deaf for a couple R's. No seriously I don't ride too much on the road, only to work & back on occasions & IF I see a cop I shut off & cruise.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 30, 2006 - 02:34 AM

I too use Yamaha's GYT-R pipe on my bike.. I got a smokin deal on it from my dealer, it's been a great pipe for the money. You can switch out end caps to quiet the bike down when you want to be quiet. I think I paid 225 or so..

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 30, 2006 - 10:11 AM

I've got the factory 4 with the powerbomb header. My bike runs awesome. Loud, very loud in fact, but awesome.

I jut put in the quiet insert. It is probably 96db now, but still too loud. The quieter the better. Besides, I need to be able to hear my kids behind me when I ride.

I got a stock pipe and will put the pmb insert into it. I hear that should be about 92db, which is a helluva lot quieter. The extra 2 or 3 hp won't make a difference to me. I'm just not that good. I prefer more low end punch anyways.

The FMF Factory 4 and header will probably be for sale soon.

• pjriss

Posted September 30, 2006 - 12:08 PM

I've got the factory 4 with the powerbomb header. My bike runs awesome. Loud, very loud in fact, but awesome.

I jut put in the quiet insert. It is probably 96db now, but still too loud. The quieter the better. Besides, I need to be able to hear my kids behind me when I ride.

I got a stock pipe and will put the pmb insert into it. I hear that should be about 92db, which is a helluva lot quieter. The extra 2 or 3 hp won't make a difference to me. I'm just not that good. I prefer more low end punch anyways.

The FMF Factory 4 and header will probably be for sale soon.

Have you tried Silent Sport packing? My Q was loud as hell with stock packing but Silent Sport made a huge difference. The Q2 is essentially the same muffler but has SS packing from the factory. Anyway it might be a cheap way to knock a few dB off.

• 5valve

Posted October 01, 2006 - 08:08 AM

I'm currently testing yz 426 complete exhaust on my 400 '99.
Must say that euro original exhaust was cut open, removed of all obstacles and direct pipe welded in for better flow so I can now compare both.

yz exh. has wider pipes, about 1 mm.
it's a bit lighter.
has nicer tone.

original exhaust, cut open, is heavier.
has crappy sound.
gives better, more tractable power and better stronger mid (in WR timing) for wheelies.

so I'm switching back to my can.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.