How much to replace fork seals?

8 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:06 AM

both fork seals on my yamaha WR426 are leaking and 2 local shops quoted me $160 to replace them. I watched someone replace fork seals a few years ago and while replacing the actual seals didn't seem too hard, setting up the forks and adjusting everything seemed complicated.

Seems like they shouldn't charge much more than $90 to replace them both if I take off the forks and bring them in to the shop, especially if I provide my own fork seals.

What should replacing the fork seals cost?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Your looking at $50 in parts max. Its not hard to replace them at all.

Only tricky part is you need some kind of seal driver to get them back in the forks. They make drivers to do just that but they are like $50-60. Lots of guys make them outta PVC pipe.

You also have to set the oil level. Can be done with a metal scale. There is also tools out there to do this.

I made a fork oil guage outta a scrynge, 12" piece of brake line, fish tank air line, fender washer and a few o-rings. Assemble the washer with o-rings on each side onto the brake line. That way you can set the washer at the oil leveL height spec from the end of the brake line. You may need some smaller washers and/or zip tie to get it to adjust the way you want. On the other end of the brake line attach the air line and the scrynge. Fill the fork tube, drop in the brake line assy till the washer touches the top of the fork (this is with the spring out and the fork compressed) suck out the extra oil. Done.

1.To get the fork apart loosten the fork cap before you take the forks off the bike.

2.take the forks off the bike.

3.remove the fork cap and fork springs. The cap may be (ie probably is)screwed onto the dampner rod in the center of the fork. Gotta take it off that rod.

5. Drain the oil. Work the fork in and out along with the damping rod to get all the oil out.

4. pry up the dust seal

5. remove the metal clip under the seal with small screwdriver.

6. Remove the bolt in the bottom of the fork.

7. Grab the top and bottom of the fork with one hand each. Compress the fork and open it quickly to the stops (like an autobody slide hammer/dent puller). After a few of those wacks the fork tube along with the seal will pop right out.

Reverse the process to put it together using the seal driver and fork oil guage.

• hartzpad

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm realtively mechanically inclined (have rebuilt car engines and other stuff in the past) and it seems that I can handle this as long as I have an oil gauge and something to drive the fork seals in. Has anyone else done their own seals?

• yamaha rider08

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:22 AM

its $40 for the seals and $40 for the dust wipers. try "cleaning out the seal" first.

• cleonard

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm realtively mechanically inclined (have rebuilt car engines and other stuff in the past) and it seems that I can handle this as long as I have an oil gauge and something to drive the fork seals in. Has anyone else done their own seals?

It's not too hard. Check the fork bushings when you are in there. I usually end up replacing more than just the seals and dust covers. I have used PVC pipe or pipe fittings each time. Take a seal along with you when looking for a proper size PVC driver at Home Depot, Lowes, OSH. For my XR600, I found a electrical PVC conduit fitting that was almost perfect. With a small amount of dremel tool modifications, it's perfect. On other bikes I used a piece of pipe that was almost the right size. I just cut it in half to make it fit.

• SMITH201

Posted September 28, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Most local shops will charge you approx $120-150 for parts and labor to replace them.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted September 28, 2006 - 12:41 PM

seals

http://www.rockymoun...56&navType=type

fork seal driver

http://www.rockymoun...56&navType=type

fork oil tool

http://www.rockymoun...65&navType=type

fork oil

http://www.rockymoun...00&navType=type

• a_gunslinger

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I bit the bullet and bought the MotoPowerVideo fork repair video that takes you step by step tyhrought your specific brand of fork. There are a few things that can go worng - its not a piece of cake. However, after watching them step by step do my specific shock, it was a cake walk. They skip no step at all. In my mind, for the education, it was worth it:

MotopowerVideo

• Johnnybmoto

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Cost me $175

Related Content

Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

team maico! by NCSteve

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

What is the loudest aftermarket exhaust/muffler for a 09 crf230f by 230REVHEAD

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

KTM 500 EXC Gearing: need advice. by GRAYRAT

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  82 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.