Hey what about break-in

2 replies to this topic

Posted September 27, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hey guys just bought 07 XR650L, and those suckers didnt give me a manual, I called and he said he'd have to order and mail me one, anyone know the break-in procedures ,if any, for my bike in the mean time, hope I havnt done anything wrong have 75 miles , little chuggin, a little full throttle but havnt rev'd it out at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted September 27, 2006 - 06:51 PM

I allways had good luck breaking them in at night or in cool weather, varying the rpm's and frequent oil changes to get all the metal out, they run hotter during break in and if the rings get enough heat they loose there temper, I broke in my girlfriends Ninja 250 in the summer heat here and it was a knocking clunker and had blowby.

• Adamsvh67

Posted October 25, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Just bought an '07 650L. Manual is sorta vague. Don't have it in front of me but read something like this. " Be aware of how you drive first 300 miles. Limit full throttle acceleration" or something like that. I'll check it out again and give you a shout. But it doesn't say much...
As a general rule though, like captb says, varying the rpm regularly and frequent oil changes are a good thing. I am physched about my new L. So far I love it.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.