650R Dual Filament Brake Light?

17 replies to this topic
  • madxr4

Posted September 27, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I just plated my '00 650R here in Phoenix and need a dual filament brake light set-up.
Thoughts from those who've installed one would be greatly appreciated.

Also, prior to upgrading the lights I'll need to upgrade the stator. I've seen them for $150. Is it worth it to diy on this or just bite the bullet?
Is there anyone I could send it to and pay them to rewind it?

Thanks again and fwiw I'm a 400 convert.
I've got a nice low time 02 400 for sale in Phoenix if anyone is interested.
It's going in the Trader next week.

Cheers, Mark

• azfabguy

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:35 PM

i bought a stock looking brake light for $15. uses the same bolt holes

• redmanrandyed

Posted September 27, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Try Bajadesigns
I have been using one of their LED brakelights. Works like a charm! :thumbsup: Looks good too -
https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=
Item Code: 600709

Taillight, BD, LED Dropdown

• madxr4

Posted September 27, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Thanks much.

I saw that XR's Only carries some of the BD stuff but also I've heard some
bad cust svc stories about them.
BD it is for the makeover. :thumbsup:

• madxr4

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Have either of you guys heard of a tuner/desert race in Mesa who is well known for his XR650 talents?
I know he's there but can't remember who/where.

• akuleboat

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Gary at Custom Cycle ATV's - Hes got numerous Baja credits between him and some of his workers.

• motochris

Posted September 28, 2006 - 02:34 PM

Gary at Custom Cycle ATV's - Hes got numerous Baja credits between him and some of his workers.

He's working with us on our Baja effort. Definetly pay him a visit.

• madxr4

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:56 PM

Thank you very much.

• pip_daddy

Posted October 03, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Has anyone tried to put a dual filament socket/bulb inside of the stock tail light? I was thinking of trying that and mounting the plate to the front of the rear fender, above the mud gaurd. I was thinking that this would clean up the rear fender and make it look good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:22 AM

Hey Y'all,
Try the led insert that DRC makes for the Xr line. It is a led unit comprised of twelve leds. I have it installed on my bike. Check out my Yahoo photos page toward the bottom to see the insert:
http://photos.yahoo.com/houk27
Have fun, Tony

• crazrider14l

Posted November 29, 2007 - 05:59 AM

did you get the plate mounted yet? i would like to see some pics of this.
I recently picked up an xr with a blown motor and plan on making a b/a dual sport mochine out of this hoss.

post pics please!!

• exaresix

Posted November 29, 2007 - 06:20 AM

This is the dual filament light everyone seems to like:

http://www.procycle....xrtaillight.jpg

You can get it at Procycle along with the hydraulic switch to operate it:

http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

As to a stator rewind, I would buy the Ricky Stator, they work well, and are not expensive. They are great folks to deal with. I prefer not discuss the other option. You can do the job yourself, and there are numerous posts here stating how easy it is, however there are a few things you should be prepared for:

1. Buy two new OEM Honda gaskets before you start the job (second one if the first one leaks).

2. Use RTV (room temperature vulcanization) silicone on the rubber plug where the wires exit. This prevents leakage.

3. Put an oil pan under your bike before taking the stator cover off. This is a good time for an oil change.

4. Be meticulous about removing your old gasket, but do not damage the aluminum case by aggressively using a steel razor blade. This is the hardest part of the operation.

5. Some recommend putting a thin coat of RTV on both surfaces of the new gasket. I think it is a good idea.

You don't really need a new stator to get it street legal in AZ, but if you want to run more than the nominal 35 Watt headlight and a tail/brake light, then it's a good idea.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 29, 2007 - 06:52 AM

Have either of you guys heard of a tuner/desert race in Mesa who is well known for his XR650 talents?
I know he's there but can't remember who/where.

http://www.barnumspr...NUMS/Categories

• kirk 505

Posted November 29, 2007 - 07:11 AM

did you get the plate mounted yet? i would like to see some pics of this.
I recently picked up an xr with a blown motor and plan on making a b/a dual sport mochine out of this hoss.

post pics please!!

I went to a local truck acc. store and bought a dual fillament light for a couple bucks and took the socket out of it and put it in the stock taillight. The hard part was finding a small dual fillament bulb. I can get you the bulb # if you want. It works great. The stock stator and light works ok, For night ridding in the dirt it is terrible . Maybe im a scaredy cat, but 20mph max n dark with a little dust and no moon. Try to go HID:ride:

• crazrider14l

Posted November 29, 2007 - 07:55 PM

just bought a moose 200 w stator. hope it works good. i am going to build my own headlight set up. ill post some pics when i get done with it.

• numbnutz

Posted November 29, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Go to four strokes only .com. they sell one that is a direct replacement for the stock taillight. I put one on and it works great.you'll have to make a little wiring harness for it. it was pretty cheap too $24.95+ shipping.

• JMo

Posted November 29, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Has anyone tried to put a dual filament socket/bulb inside of the stock tail light? I was thinking of trying that and mounting the plate to the front of the rear fender, above the mud gaurd. I was thinking that this would clean up the rear fender and make it look good.

Yes, I just did this on my XR650R - I used a twin pole bulb socket (metal surround, not the plastic type) from a car accessory store, and an LED replacement brake/tail bulb - which is lower profile and doesn't get as hot.

You need to remove the original bulb and holder, drill/cut out the fender plastic a little so the new metal bulb holder sits as low as possible, then bend up the mounting tab slightly so the bulb is almost horizontal then screw it in place with a self tapper -the original rear lamp lens will then fit over the LED bulb a treat.

To keep crud from entering the lamp housing I used heat-shrink around the rear of the bulb holder, and filled in the edge around it with silicon sealant - job's a good'un!

JennyMo xxx

• Kenaroo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:31 PM

I just plated my '00 650R here in Phoenix and need a dual filament brake light set-up.
Thoughts from those who've installed one would be greatly appreciated.

Also, prior to upgrading the lights I'll need to upgrade the stator. I've seen them for $150. Is it worth it to diy on this or just bite the bullet?
Is there anyone I could send it to and pay them to rewind it?

Thanks again and fwiw I'm a 400 convert.
I've got a nice low time 02 400 for sale in Phoenix if anyone is interested.
It's going in the Trader next week.

Cheers, Mark

Talk to Forrest at Wheeling cycle supplies. you can change that stock unit out for a LED stop light that will draw less amps

you can order it on line here. http://www.wheelingc...egory&cat_id=72

Both the Ricky Stator or the Baja designs 200watt stator are good units. definately helps with brighter lights

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.