Best way to sell bike

30 replies to this topic
  • HOOLPE

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:41 AM

it's a scam. go to www.ebolamonkeyman.com and you'll see a variety of all their tricks. this guy deliberately messes with these thieves. it's really very funny. don't forget to place ads in your local bike shops too.

• babbs

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, it takes a week or so to find out the MO is fake, and by that time the bikes are on the slow boat to wherever, and you have no money. I still can't believe people fall for this trick.

• jeffahart

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:05 AM

You guys are right. I agreed to sell him the bikes to one of these guys. Here's what I wrote, have not heard from him since! Got three more of this type of email this morning from diffrent scammers. Very annoying!

"No problem with your balance as long as shipping does not exceed the remaining $3000. I will have to say, this sort of transaction is different for me. I’m used to someone viewing vehicles before closing the transaction. However, I’m a private party and do not deal in motorcycles for profit in any way, these were our family motorcycles and now we're getting quads! Necessary information follows. How and when will I receive payment.

Accept this acknowledgement that the combined selling price for the: 2004 XR650r and 2004 XR70 and 2003 XR100 is $7,000.00 US Dollars. And that any remaining funds will be used for shipping costs AFTER CHECK CLEARS AND CASH IS IN MY HANDS."

Thanks All
Jeff

• nickreal

Posted September 30, 2006 - 08:36 PM

I'm interested in your xr 100 where do you have the info on it listed?

• MindBlower

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:41 AM

Be AWARE that the check clearing DON"T MEAN SH*T!! The bank has like 30 days to "discover" that the MO is fake and charge back to your account. Them simply saying it's 'cleared' is NOT the end of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pgiinc

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:46 AM

ebay
you will get much more traffic then anywere else
use paypal
let them worry about pick up offer no shipping
will be sold either in the auction or after by someone who saw it
I have sold
2002 DWFG
2001 Tejas AIH
2002 Tejas AIH
1985 M500 Mstart
4 or 5 cars to

• MindBlower

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Paypal is as big a scam as the Nigerian whack. Check out Paypalsucks.com for the real story.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 01, 2006 - 05:08 PM

In the last two years I have bought two bikes off of eBay: an '01 XR650R from Austin, TX and an '05 CRF230F from Mass. I am thrilled with both bikes (the 230 was for my wife).

My son has bought three bikes off of Craig's list, all were local to Denver, where he lives, so he was able to view them before closing the deal.

I personally do not have any experience with Craigs List. Re eBay, from a seller's perspective I have two recommendations:

1. take at least 6-8 photos of each bike you plan to list. More is better.
2. Give as much info on the bikes as you can. Too much is just enough.

eBay is about "trust". The more information people can get about your bike listing, the less doubt they will have about bidding it up. I have sold lots of stuff on eBay and have a 100% rating, because I'm always absolutely honest and give tons of info / photos on my listings. I almost always get more for my listing than other similar listings.

On eBay, one or two pics or a short description is the kiss of death.

Good luck!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Be AWARE that the check clearing DON"T MEAN SH*T!! The bank has like 30 days to "discover" that the MO is fake and charge back to your account. Them simply saying it's 'cleared' is NOT the end of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

straight up. Unless its a money order (usps), don't trust it.

• Max Power

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:56 PM

straight up. Unless its a money order (usps), don't trust it.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Great advice. :thumbsup:

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 01, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Paypal is as big a scam as the Nigerian whack. Check out Paypalsucks.com for the real story.

Not sure what problems you've had with PayPal. I have used PayPal as a buyer and as a seller for probably 200 times over the past 3 or 4 years and have never experienced a single problem. Yeah, they charge a fee to me if I'm the seller but I view that as a reasonable cost of doing business.

Sending (or receiving) a money order is a pain. IMHO.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.