650R USD Fork valving/spring set up

27 replies to this topic
  • jesusgatos

Posted May 16, 2007 - 12:48 PM

OK. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a try and if it doesn't hold up, I can always just use the XR stem and have a bushing machined for the upper triple clamp.

• ESS

Posted May 16, 2007 - 11:39 PM

My way was cheaper and easier for me, but if you decide you want to do it with a stem swap here are the step by step instructions. http://home.comcast....c/CRFClampMods/ Good luck.

• jesusgatos

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I'm running a set of '02-07 CRF forks on the front of my 650R and was hoping to get some spring and valving recommendations.

Not sure how to describe what type of riding I'd like to set it up for. I guess I'd like to start with a good all-around setup. Maybe something that would mimic the Baja 500 setup in the stock forks?

As far as spring rates, right now I'm running a .47 CRF450R spring in one leg and a .42 spring from a CRF250X in the other leg. Of course I'm willing to buy whatever springs I should be running. I weigh 190lbs in all my gear and with the pack that I carry on trail rides. I switch tanks between an IMS 3.2 gallon tank for trail riding and a 6 gallon Acerbis tank for longer dualsport rides. Let's split the difference and figure I'll be carrying around 4 gallons of fuel.

I'll be rebuilding my rear shock (upgrading to a CR500 hybrid) at the same time. Could use some help with spring rates and valving to get a balanced setup.

Thanks.

• jesusgatos

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:30 PM

Oh, and where's the best place to order valve shims?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted December 01, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I get my shims from here: RaceTech: http://www.racetech....3&showPage=dirt
You can also get them here > MX-Tech.com: http://www.mx-tech.c...products&cat=12

Your springs rate for your weight will not change and should be the same as if you had the stock suspension. The springs are to suport the riders/bikes weight.

www.borynack.com/XR650R

• jesusgatos

Posted December 01, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where I might want to start as far as valving?

• BWB63

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:51 PM

For the CR500R shock the Desert Racing setup can't be beat. I will have to look into my notes for the CR500R fork shim setups and add a little rebound control for the extra weight of the BRP. I do CR500R setups but, not for the XR650R bike. The shim setup would be close to what is used for our bike on my sight.

http://borynack.com/XR650R/

• jesusgatos

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:23 PM

I'm wondering about the weights listed in the chart on your website Bruce. I weigh about 150lbs/190 with gear. Should I just rock the stock .42 CRF250X springs? Please let me know whenever you have a chance to look at those CR500 settings. I'd like to order shims and rip into my suspension.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the pistons are the same between the CRF250's, 450's, R's and X's?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.