setup stock carb vs Edelbrock for XR650R

18 replies to this topic
  • pgiinc

Posted September 27, 2006 - 09:42 AM

give me your opinion's
money not the question
I have the stock carb jetted 68s/175 main and Jet Needle 16012-MBN-641 B53E ,air box mods,and comp Spark Arrestor 18317-MBN-640
at this point what would the Edelbrock 3115 do for me?easier starting?better response?no choke to mess with?
your thoughts
thanks

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 27, 2006 - 01:03 PM

You failed to mention how the stock carb is working for you and what kind of riding and altitude you ride at.

I ran the stock carb for years and found the 175 jet to be way too rich unless your on a drag strip or flat desert pegged most of the time. I ended up with a 168 and 170 (172 if I planned on keeping it pinned most of the time).

Not all stock carbs perform the same. I had one which was rather easy to dial in and worked where ever I rode. My second bike the stock carb was a pain. I just about had it right when I switched to Edelbrock.

The Edelbrock was easier to work with and caused the power to be delivered in a much more electric fashion. I can not say the Edelbrock was really all that much more performance than stock but it definately was much nicer. Flooding became an issure of the past and starting was easier most of the time. Starting a properly tuned stock carb is rather easy unless you dump the bike in which case it will flood it.

• pgiinc

Posted September 27, 2006 - 01:48 PM

I have only riden it once was hard to start because I have not learned the best way. I found after going thur the carb it had been jetted to the 175
I ride in Central Va, I see you have the Edelbrock
I think I am going to get one its 399 free shipping you know were i can get a better deal
did you have to do any thing other then bolt it on?
jetting/adjustments?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 27, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well now it's easier to help you. One I would get the stock carb working for you. Learn the starting prededure and use it. It should start really easy when using the procedure. Check the tail pipe for black soot. If there is black soot then jet down to a 170 or 168. I suppose you know not to twist the thottle at all on the stock carb.

If your set on the Edelbrock and money is no issue then buy it. Its a wonderful mod. E-Bay has one for $369. but I don't know if that includes shipping. If it doesn't then the deal you have found is fine. It will need to be dialed in when you get it unless you purchase it from Rob Barnum (Ive read he will make sure it is set up and ready to go). The Edelbrock carb does not have jets so you will not have to mess with jetting it. It is adjusted by raising and lowering a needle and setting the squirt time. Both these adjustments are made from outside the carb therefore no need to open the carb up. With the Edelbrock you actually twist the throttle 2 to 4 times before you kick the bike over.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 27, 2006 - 03:10 PM

My decision to go with the Edelbrock Quicksilver was three-fold:

1. Much-simplified tuning for equipment or riding-style changes
2. Improved starting / minimized chance of flooding
3. "The Pump": near-instantaneous throttle response

If I am totally honest, #1 doesn't count because I have never needed to touch the Quicksilver's Metering Adjustment Tool (MAT).

And, #2 PROBABLY doesn't count because I never attempted to dial-in my stock Kehin, just cursed it roundly whenever it flooded [Why do bikes always act up in front of a crowd??!]

Ahhhh, we come to #3. Yeah, that's the ticket! I "tested" my Quicksilver after I installed it, tried to get it to stumble by blipping the throttle open as fast as humanly possible, from idle. No luck, that baby reacts RIGHT NOW, not a hint of stumble or hesitation.

So, all 3 of the above reasons apply--more or less--for all QS owners. For me #3 is at the top of the list, followed by #2.

I got mine from Barnums. I told Denice my bike's setup and Rob sent it to me 100% dialed-in. Totally "Plug-n-play".

Lots of XRR owners--probably the majority--get good performance and are totally satisfied with their stock Kehin, once its dialed-in. If memory serves me, Honda's Baja 1000 teams use the stock Kehin. But, if you got an extra 4 Bens laying around and want one or more of the above 3 advantages, go for it. If I had to do it over again, I would not hesitate.

Ride safe.

• pgiinc

Posted September 27, 2006 - 03:29 PM

I bought it here
http://cgi.ebay.com/...B:EOIBSAA:US:31
you think i need to ask them about it being setup for my bike?

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 27, 2006 - 03:40 PM

That's Barnum's eBay store you bought it from, so you should be good to go. I'd email them and tell them your setup, just to be safe. Chances are they'll send it with the #19 needle. You'll just need to check the MAT setting once you get it. Let us know your bike's setup and one of us will suggest your MAT and pump settings. Super-simple to check and change (before you put the tank back on...).

Sweet carb!

Ride safe.

• pgiinc

Posted September 28, 2006 - 12:09 PM

looks like most have stock carbs since not many replies on this

• BigMikey

Posted September 28, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Here's another happy Edelbrock user/Barnums customer. I went with the Edelbrock mainly to get rid of the off-idle bog. Found it would hesitate when charging whoops, leading to some scary situations. Tore it apart twice, adjusted the float twice, and still the dreaded bog. Rather than spend more time being frustrated, I contacted Denise at Barnums, told her my riding conditions and bike setup, and bolted it on when it arrived. Problem solved. It is probably my second favorite mod, after my Barnums tuned suspension. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pgiinc

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:32 PM

tell me about the suspenions mod did you send you shock and forks to them and how much did they charge you?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 28, 2006 - 02:00 PM

looks like most have stock carbs since not many replies on this

Don't judge by the number of replies. This is a very common mod and 99% of those who went to this mod would never go back.

• pgiinc

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:07 PM

thanks old man
I love your motto
I too tell myself whenever in doubt Nail it and it usually gets me though that trouble spot

• BigMikey

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:15 PM

pgiinc,

Sent you a PM.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Don't judge by the number of replies. This is a very common mod and 99% of those who went to this mod would never go back.

Amen to that, OMT!

PGIINC, one particular feature of the Edelbrock I like is, no choke. The Edelbrock design uses an easily-accessible idle screw, instead of a choke lever, like is on the stock Kehin. Why I like this is, when you are starting the bike, you just crank in 3+ twists on the idle-adjust (more if its colder) and as the bike warms up you just dial the idle back down. The net effect is similar to a choke except there is no danger of the engine bogging/flooding down if you walk away for a minute and forget to take the choke off. The revs just go up a bit. No fouled plug.

I think you are going to love yours.

• creeky

Posted September 28, 2006 - 06:03 PM

That's absolutely correct. We have three bikes in the garage, an '02 BRP, an '01 XR400 and a '99 WR400, all three have Edelbrocks . The stock carbs will remain in their plastic bags until such time as the bikes are sold.

• gaspipe

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:17 PM

I bought my Edelbrock from Barnums also (as well as having Rob do up the suspension). It came with a #19 needle and depending on altitude, temp and all, I've run it from 14-17 clicks out from below sea level to 13,000ft. I have a full exhaust and airbox mods too. Pulls like a locomotive.

It's a good carby setup for the BRP. It's the throttle response and ease of starting after a biff that will make it all worthwhile, IMHO, for the RP.

I'm going to fit one to my other 650R too.

• JKL

Posted September 30, 2006 - 03:28 PM

Edelbrook :thumbsup:
Easy starting - especially after dumping the bike!

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 03, 2006 - 08:59 PM

I seem to be one of the few people that had a harder time dialing in the Edelbrock compared to the stock carb. When i did get it where it needed to be I believed it was money well spent and a very noticeable performance increase.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 03, 2006 - 09:37 PM

I seem to be one of the few people that had a harder time dialing in the Edelbrock compared to the stock carb. When i did get it where it needed to be I believed it was money well spent and a very noticeable performance increase.

I didn't have a hard time dialing it in but I had a serious problem once it was about 4 months old. I almost sent it back and put the stocker back on. Once I fixed the problem I have never looked back. Because it is a pumper carb I do feel it has parts that will need replacing from time to time but you won't care because of all the good things the Edelbrock does for you.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.