Newbie need advice on choosing bike

6 replies to this topic
  • whiskeydog

Posted September 26, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hi everyone I'm new here and need some advise. I'm looking at two used bikes for sale and trying to figure pros and cons for each. I'm in southern California and will be riding desert and trails with my 10 yr old daughter who has a Klx 110. We plan to get into some track riding but nothing serious.

I'm looking at a 2001 YZ426f with lots of mods and very low seat time. I rode the bike and it rides and looks like new.

The other is a 2004 Kx250f with some mods. Bike is a few hours away but also is in same condition.

Prices on both are good. Some things I'm cosidering is the Red sticker of the KX versus year round riding of the YZ. The KX being newer. The power of the 426 (is it too much).

ABout me, I've had and 01 cr250 for a short time but not enough to really "get into" offroad riding. I'm 5'9" 185lbs.

In your opinions, would I soon be looking for more power than the kx has. and should the age of the YZ concern me?

Thanks Mike

• kawirider

Posted September 27, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Those KX's are VERY maintenance intensive. I read what guy wrote about them and he said:
"The '04-'05 KX250Fs arent unreliable! Mine did fine, I just replaced the valves and piston twice a year and it didnt blow up once!"

Get the YZ (even though it will be a little more difficult) and put 16oz. of flywheel weight on it and take it easy. You will appreciate the extra power when the trails open up.

• whiskeydog

Posted September 27, 2006 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the reply, I've heard the YZ is very reliable!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x2stroker

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:31 AM

That's a tough call. I have a yz450 and my son has a 110... it is very difficult for me to putt around that slow... and he's pretty fast on his 110. If your goal is to have a bike so that you can putt around with her, both bikes may be too much, especially a 426.

I ride 90% MX tracks so I can keep my eye on him without staying next to him. I haven't ridden trails too often so it's hard to comment on that.

I would think that the 250f would be easier to manage on tight trails and better for putting around.... just my .02...

• TapptOut

Posted September 27, 2006 - 06:17 AM

That's a tough call. I have a yz450 and my son has a 110... it is very difficult for me to putt around that slow... and he's pretty fast on his 110. If your goal is to have a bike so that you can putt around with her, both bikes may be too much, especially a 426.

I ride 90% MX tracks so I can keep my eye on him without staying next to him. I haven't ridden trails too often so it's hard to comment on that.

I would think that the 250f would be easier to manage on tight trails and better for putting around.... just my .02...

Yea i would agree with that, totally. But there will also be times when he is riding with friends and his daughter wont be there and his bike will come in handy. You should try and find a cheaper WR version for your style of riding.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 27, 2006 - 11:35 AM

IMO go with the 426 as it is about the most bulletproof of all the fourstrokes and requires very little aside from routine maintenance. The valvetrain is top notch.

I ride lots of tight singletrack with mine and while it is not the ideal bike for that it does just fine. I also race HS with it and it rips in the open stuff. Set up correctly it is an extremely versatile ride.

As far as power is concerned...I don't think I've ever crashed because I had too much power, but I have crashed from not having enough. The main thing is to ride within your abilities...you don't have to go as fast as the bike is capable of.

• whiskeydog

Posted September 27, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the replys/advise. I'm leaning towards the YZ. I rode it and although it is fast, I felt I could get used to it. I figure I could get it for a good price see where mine and my daughters riding styles evolve to. It might not be the best in handling but when I'm at the level where I need that I can look at a new bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.