07' THUMPER NEWBIE Help

9 replies to this topic
  • SVTCOBRA4U

Posted September 26, 2006 - 09:00 PM

OK Guys just got my '07 XR650L, been reading and reading, first of all who makes the low profile rear light? Second can i desmog without any probs before I start my mods. And from what I read so far it should go like this...Exhaust, jet, snorkel, airfilter... has it got to be trial and error with the jetting, was thinking about the big gun slip on, any thoughts ...help out a newb guys.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:04 AM

Check this out-
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

• frankstr

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to" Thumper Talk " SVTCOBRA4u, I'm not really up on the L ..
But you'll find all the info. here plus, there is a store here also...Enjoy..

:thumbsup:

• justicedone

Posted September 27, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Big gun brand sucks donkey crack, they are JUNK..I would look into FMF or White Bros.

jetting depends on elevation, so you need to post yours and hope somebody close to your elevation can help you dial in.

Yes you can desmog first, was my 1st mod..did nothing for power, but less pop on decelleration and less weight, looks better.

Check ebay frequently for pretty good deals... and enjoy you new bike

Welcome to the BRP club and TT

• kelleyseiler

Posted September 27, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Welcome! I got my XRL last September and with the help of Thumpertalk members I was able to do all the mods and find an exhaust and rack for my bike! I use it to commute to and from work and for fun also. Here's a pic with the exhaust and rack.
http://i43.photobuck...eiler/XRL06.jpg :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted September 27, 2006 - 09:59 AM

Welcome! I got my XRL last September and with the help of Thumpertalk members I was able to do all the mods and find an exhaust and rack for my bike! I use it to commute to and from work and for fun also. Here's a pic with the exhaust and rack.
http://i43.photobuck...eiler/XRL06.jpg :p

Nice bike Kelley, is that a chase harper roll bag?

Svt...
I did most of the standard mods to my bike nearly all at once. Pipe, Desmog, Decork etc.; So i cant say for sure which had the most noticable effect. Did it gain power? I dunno, and frankly i dont care. (I didnt do a before after dyno run.) Drivability and throttle response is what i was after, and what i can say is the throttle response is phenominally better than it was, it seems to pull harder, and wheelies really easily (mostly when i didnt mean it to *L*)

Generally anytime you change the flow of air through the engine it will effect jetting, sometimes it can be dialed in with the mixture, other times you will need to change jets. The snorkel, airfilter, and exhaust will all effect jetting, to what degree each does on there own i cannot say with certainty but together they will need rejetting. IMHO i think all 3 should be done at once, so rejetting need to only be done a minimal number of times, but that is just my take on it. Unforunately it usually seems to be trial and error. Each bike has it's own quirks, as does each rider. HOW you ride also effects your jetting in some degree also. Most on here can tell you what works for them, try to find someone with near identical mods, and get a feel for a good starting point on jets. From what i have read, there really only is a a few size changes to make on the jetting to find the "sweet spot" for you and your bike. It is getting the main/pilot/mixture all working together that can be sometimes a little elusive.

Right now i have an '06 "L" at about 300-500' A.S.L. with no internal engine mods. Desnorked, Uni filter, desmogged, Supertrapp IDS2 slip on with 10 discs. My jets are 55/160 (Stock is 50/152), Needle is stock but shimmed up 0.031, Pilot screw is out 2-1/4 turns. It starts well and runs great, but it isnt quite "there" yet. I want to get it dialed in just a little bit more. I plan to remove a couple of discs or more to quiet it down a hair and hopefully increase the midrange a bit, this will likely effect a change in the jetting.

I dont know anything about the exhaust you mentioned. I personally prefer the tunable discs, i have used them for years with good results and it allows another point to adjust the engine, which i like.

My bike is always in a state of flux. I like to change, wrench, and try out new ideas, some work, some dont :lame: but i learn from them all.

Enjoy your new ride, these bikes are great. :thumbsup:

• kelleyseiler

Posted September 27, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Nice bike Kelley, is that a chase harper roll bag?

Enjoy your new ride, these bikes are great. :thumbsup:

Why yes it is! and thanks.
http://i43.photobuck...er/RearView.jpg
other view

• texsurfer

Posted September 27, 2006 - 01:09 PM

i have the R model and use a DRC Edge2 LED taillight mounted on top of my fender. it's still pretty low profile. could be mounted underneath. if you want a pic ask and i'll send one from home.

• SVTCOBRA4U

Posted September 27, 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the help I really appreciate it , this should get me started Ill update how it turns out, Thanks again to all who replyed

• justicedone

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Heres the taillight I use and have been very pleased with. Pics in my garage. I also bought the rubber piece to mount the plate to the fender under the light, since it was cheap. I reccomend it also.

http://www.fourstrok.../Products2.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.