yz 400 gearing 52 tooth rear sprocket

7 replies to this topic
  • elm327

Posted September 26, 2006 - 07:27 PM

my 06 wr 450 got stolen so i picked up a clean 99 yz 400 , man different bike for sure, i am really starting to like ole blue but it is geared way to high for woods riding, would a 52 rear sprocket help??? it has 14 front and 50 rear now, would i tell a difference with this set up?? thanks for any info.

• SRT426

Posted September 26, 2006 - 10:07 PM

Try going to a 13 tooth on the front, thats like adding 3 to the rear. See if you like that and then maybe add or delete a tooth from the rear to fine tune it. It's also to cheaper to experiment with front sprockets than rear :thumbsup:

• 2tall2tall

Posted September 27, 2006 - 07:45 PM

I have a 54T Krause/Sidewinder rear sprocket that is almost new for $20 that will bolt right on. PM me if interested.

• xnofriendsx

Posted September 28, 2006 - 09:34 AM

I have a 2002 YZ426 and have 14/50 gearing, same as yours.
Stock is 14/49 i am pretty sure.
Going to a 52 would be a pretty big change. It is always fun to experiment though. Just be sure to take into consideration the new chain length with any sprocket change. 2 teeth in the rear is 4 links less, right?
Like the previous guy wrote, adding a 13 in front is what a lot of woods/trails riders do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted September 28, 2006 - 10:00 AM

I run 13/50 for the tight single track and it works out pretty good.

• onecolumbyte

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Do you have to shorten the chain when losing teeth on the front sproket too. Seems like it wouldn't make nearly as much of a diameter/ circumference difference since the sproket is so much smaller than in the back...

• xnofriendsx

Posted September 29, 2006 - 07:38 AM

When...
Adding 1 tooth or two teeth to the front or rear sprocket
Then...
Add 2 links to the stock chain length

When...
Subtracting 1 tooth from the front or rear sprocket
Then...
Use the stock chain length

When...
Adding 2 or more teeth to the front or rear sprocket
Then...
Add 2 links for every two teeth added

When...
Subtracting 2 or more teeth from the front or rear sprocket
Then...
Subtract 2 links from every two teeth subtraced

This is according to the Rocky Mountain catalog.

• CRF150Joe

Posted February 23, 2007 - 11:21 AM

I have I think 14/49 on mine I havent ridden it yet but I rode a CRF450 with stock gearing and it was amazing. And crazy fast in the trails. I think the stock gearing for the 400 would work good because remeber these bikes have alot of power and can spin those sprockets. If you go too high in the rear sprocket like teeth wise that thing is going to be wheeling like a lil bitch and that will get annoying haha

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.