Grey Wire and Fuel Mixture Screw report

3 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted September 26, 2006 - 06:56 PM

With help from this forum, I finally found the grey wire on my WR426 when someone finally mentioned that on the 426's the grey wire is on a 2 wire connector, not one of the 6 wire connectors. I was beginning ot think that my bike didn't even have a grey wire even after search the archives for an hour or so.

So I disconnected and taped the grey wire and I only notice a crisper throttle response and a stronger mid-range, but I don't seem to notice a stronger top-end, it is the same on the top as stock WR. Is this normal? Could it be that my jetting is limiting the top end?

Cleaned the carb and installed a Tusk Fuel Mixture Screw so that I can lean the bike out when I double in altitude on some of the rides here (4500-9000 ft.) Main jet is a 160, which seems a little small, does it not? I couldn't really tell any difference when adjusting the fuel screw between 1 turn out and 2 turns out, should I notice a crisper idle or a change in idle, because it didn't seem to change much as I monitored it with my Trailtech Vapor. Didn't look to where the needle and pilot jets were set. The throttle stop was already cut way down when I checked it, cut so far that it doesn't even function as a throttle stop now.

Should I look into a larger main jet to try out for my location (4500-9000 ft., 40-75 degrees lately, not very humid), say a 165? Could this 160 main jet be hampering the bike's top end power?

• flyinfool47

Posted December 26, 2006 - 09:35 PM

got the same result from the grey wire mod on my 04 wr 250. Can't help on the other stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:06 AM

Could this 160 main jet be hampering the bike's top end power?

Yes.For what it's worth, I ride in similar conditions and use a 40 pilot and a 165 main, jet needle on the 3rd from the top clip. For winter riding I go to a 42 pilot and maybe up to a 170 main. Take a few main jets with you and try to find which one works best for what you are looking for. Good Luck--WR Dave.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 27, 2006 - 06:36 AM

.... The throttle stop was already cut way down when I checked it, cut so far that it doesn't even function as a throttle stop now....

That would scary me if that was my bike and I would fix it immediately. Because with the throttle stop cut too far back, it is possible to open up your throttle to far, and get it STUCK in the wide open throttle position. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you while you're riding it.

I'd replace it with the YZ throttle stop. Part Number...5NL-14591-00-00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.