wont start...getting aggrivated

12 replies to this topic
  • TL426

Posted September 26, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hey everyone,

im having some trouble... my bike has a brand new plug in it and it WILL NOT start at all. i rode it sunday decently hard but not too bad... never got within 1500 rpms of the rev limiter. i got it home and it wouldnt start. i thought it was just cold and id wait until monday to try. so i started it yesterday with the cold start, let it idle and died after 10 seconds. got it started again after about 30 kicks and it would backfire really bad. i put it back in the garage cus i didnt want to ride it if it was gonna be running rough. so i tried again today, kicked it probably 40 times and NOTHING happened. didnt even try to idle.. i cant figure it out and its starting to make me mad. any ideas?

• TL426

Posted September 26, 2006 - 02:53 PM

ive narrowed it down the the plug being fouled... but why in gods name would a near brand new plug foul after a day of moderate riding?

• StreetbikePimp

Posted September 26, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Did you recently aquire the bike? It might be jetted too rich for your riding style...

• 642MX

Posted September 26, 2006 - 06:21 PM

You can't start a YZF and let it run for 10 seconds and shut it off. It will foul the plug almost everytime. Its very easy to foul a plug during start up, be sure not to give it any gas while your tring to start it (cold or hot).

And for God sakes........take the quad off your avatar....quads aren't real popular on TT. :thumbsup:

• Derwud

Posted September 26, 2006 - 06:28 PM

You can't start a YZF and let it run for 10 seconds and shut it off. It will foul the plug almost everytime. Its very easy to foul a plug during start up, be sure not to give it any gas while your tring to start it (cold or hot).

When was the last time you changed the oil? Do a complete service including a new plug a try it.

And for God sakes........take the quad off your avatar....quads aren't real popular on TT. :thumbsup:

God I wish these people would get over themselves.

• 642MX

Posted September 26, 2006 - 06:33 PM

God I wish these people would get over themselves.

Never! I'm a quad hater for life........don't get me started. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IRONCROSS

Posted September 27, 2006 - 12:03 AM

Samething in my friends 03 I put the old plug back in it and it runs after a couple of kicks. I didnt get it either new plug dont work old one works... I dont know...

• Collin_103

Posted September 27, 2006 - 12:14 AM

i had a 426 and had the exact same problems your having. like said earlier, you cannot crank it up and let it run for 10 seconds and shut it off, no telling how many plugs i went though in that process. let the bike warm up and ride the piss out of it. I also changed jets and my 426 went through plugs like no other. the only way i ever got mine started was to lay it over and shut the gas off to make sure it was not flooded. good luck buddy.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 27, 2006 - 05:01 AM

The plug may be fouled as you say. They are prone to flooding(throttle is ultra sensitive to twisting) and fouling plugs if ran for 10secs. But when is the last time the valves were checked? Hard starting is also a symptom of valve adjustment time.

• TL426

Posted September 27, 2006 - 02:50 PM

im a dumb@ss.. i pulled the plug today and it was fouled bad... i slapped a new plug in there and followed your alls advice, let it warm up for a couple minutes and rode the piss out of it, runs like a brand new bike! thanks for the info guys!

p.s. idc if quads are hated, im keeping it... well at least until i get an action shot of me on my 426 :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted September 27, 2006 - 03:42 PM

A few rules to live by! Always turn off the fuel before bringing her to a stop for the break or the day, let it run for a few minutes or til it dies is even better. You will never foul a plug. Look into the BK/GB Mod and do it, it will minimize the accel pump spray (the culprit). Or use a JD jetting kit and do the oring mod. Also you will find that your bike either never needs a twist of the throttle to start or it will need 1 twist. Try the no twist first (much easier than changing the plug when it fouls). If it doesnt start easily try 1 twist and no more and always kick a full stroke.

• Collin_103

Posted September 27, 2006 - 11:55 PM

haha awesome

• Code

Posted October 14, 2006 - 07:52 PM

These bikes are beasts once started :devil:....Just takes a tad getting used too is all! :thumbsdn: Good job MATE!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.