Carb Needle Profile Comparison YZ vs. WR

56 replies to this topic
  • Hick

Posted January 30, 2001 - 11:53 AM

Shane,

Probably because it is a YZF part. I tried looking up the number here but the site was down.

Just try asking for a stock ’00 YZF pilot air jet.

• Michael

Posted January 30, 2001 - 12:34 PM

Part Number is 7A9-14943-22-00

The URL for the parts list that Hick pointed to is: http://216.37.204.20...e=13&A=168&B=32

Have you (or anyone else) been able to find an EKN or EKP needle. Yamaha is supposed to on back order to Japan for these - none in country at all.......

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-31-2001).]

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted January 30, 2001 - 02:11 PM

Currently awaiting my EKN needle on back order. Currently using DVP.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 08:34 PM

Plenty EKN needles available in OZ I ordered 2 on monday and got them wendsday morning.If you guys have to wait too long i might be able to send them over from here. Changing to EKN tonight I'll let you all know how it goes. Does any one know exactly what changing pilot air jet, main airjet and starter jet will do and there relevance to the size of pilot and main jets?

• Michael

Posted January 31, 2001 - 08:07 PM

Andrew - I'm interested if you have a place to order an EKN needle. What part number are you ordering? Thanks!

• James_Dean

Posted January 31, 2001 - 09:19 PM

Chris,
Read Clark's answer, it's the E needle needing a smaller main.

Parry,
Try the EKP#3 or #4, You definitely WILL feel it.

Steve,
Are you SURE you did not get an EVP!!!
This sounds very odd to be too lean?? Try clip #4. This is standard '01YZ426 jetting, within 1/2 clip. Above 1/4 throttle it will be richer.

SOME PARTS FICHE ARE INCORRECT, CHECK THAT YOU ONLY ORDER THE 5JG-14916-EP (for the EKP)

or 5JG-14916-EN (for the EKN)

Speeder,
How did the #170 and #175 compare to your #180?

James

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 02-01-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 01, 2001 - 02:06 AM

Michael, Part no 5JG-14916-EN, I got them through Action motorcycles, Head office, Sydney Australia ph (aus dial code ?) then 02 9893 7588, www.actionmc.com.au or send me an email at andrewbugden@hotmail.com to arrange for them to be sent over.

• Speeder

Posted February 01, 2001 - 05:01 PM

James,
I've got to admit that you influenced me to try the EKP... thanks for that. I don't mess with the jetting any more.
All of my experimentation was at clip pos. #3, as my low throttle operation was satisfactory and I was looking for response at larger throttle positions.
The 170 main was flat from mid up. The 175 was a bit better, but had a lean miss at constant throttle cruise and rolled off noticably at the top end.
When I went to the 180 the engine lit up and pulled hard all the way to the rev limiter. I was surprised, as I'd never gotten there before and it was pulling so hard when it shut off.
I tried a 185, there was no noticeable difference, and based on the plug readings I went back to the 180.
I think at large throttle openings the (LouD) exhaust system plays a big part. That may be why I can run a larger main. (and I'm still running the original plug at 1300 miles)

• James_Dean

Posted February 02, 2001 - 07:21 AM

Interesting that yours works BETTER with such a big main. The YZ426 is using a #162 on an open exhaust.

I haven't messed with my jetting lately, has a #170 main. It's wet here all the time now. It maybe time to pull the S/A and try a #180 with the cooler air. :)

James

• Clark_Mason

Posted February 02, 2001 - 06:08 PM

Mine would stumble with a 180MJ the largest I run with the "E" series needles is a 172. Maybe I will try a larger one again when I ride the WR next. However, I'v been spending all my time on the XR650R in the desert its better suited for desert stuff. In the spring and summer the WR will be back in the woods and tigher trails.

Clark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted April 10, 2001 - 07:53 PM

Back to the top for some of the newer WR426 riders. :)

• jezza426

Posted August 29, 2001 - 04:04 AM

Originally posted by James Dean:
The YZ426 has a much different carb needle than the WR's. If you decide to uncork your WR and go with YZ timing, it may be worth looking into the carb needle too.

Expect it to feel like you just pulled out a second baffle, a boost in the mid-range. :)

The EKP#4 or EKN#4 are my favorites in the '00WR400. The '01 YZ426 is using EJP which is 1/2 clip richer.

Suggest using a #48 pilot, 1 turn out, #100 air, and #165-#170 main.

James Dean

(Sorry Yamaha, the secrets out!! There is more power to come from a triple taper needle, but that is still under wraps for now)

Posted Image

I have an 01 wr 426 and wonder what needle I should go for ? it all seems pretty complex. what are the differences between needles ?
thanks
jezza

• James_Dean

Posted August 29, 2001 - 05:23 AM

Now that more information is available on needle options, I would suggest you get needle OBELN and start in clip #4.

This is listed as Yamaha needle OBELN - P/N 5NL-14916-EN

The needle has a smaller straight diameter and more taper to it than your stock needle. This will be a little richer just off idle to avoid any hesitation after which it runs close to stock. Then higher up at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle it again adds more fuel to give the most noticeable increase in mid-range power. The needle is using the "standard" Keihin taper(E) for the FCR carb. Yamaha has only chosen to use the "leaner" D taper needle in the WR426 while the YZ426 and both the 250F's have the E taper needles. I would recommend the change regardless of cam timing.

The EJN, EKN, ELN, EMN are all the same profile and are only 1/2 clip position apart each.
EJN#3 = EKN#3.5 = ELN#4 = EMN#4.5

Suggest you start with the following:

OBELN#4
#48 pilot
#100 pilot air
1 turn out
#168 main jet

James

• jezza426

Posted August 30, 2001 - 03:42 AM

James dean,
thank you very much you have been very helpful, i appreciate your excellent advice.
jeremy

• wayneoXCF

Posted August 31, 2001 - 02:22 AM

James,
Would you suggest the same specs for me as you would for jezza?
2001 WR426, stock settings @ sea-level.
Looking for that magic "burst" in the mid-range. I know theres gotta be more in there!
Also, would the OBELN needle apply to me?

• wayneoXCF

Posted August 31, 2001 - 02:25 AM

James,
Would you suggest the same specs for me as you would for jezza?
2001 WR426, stock settings @ sea-level.
Looking for that magic "burst" in the mid-range. I know theres gotta be more in there!
Also, would the OBELN needle apply to me?
ps-no change to YZ timing yet-

• James_Dean

Posted August 31, 2001 - 07:02 AM

There IS more in there and the needle with smaller main jet will get most of it.

Yes, start with the same setting and adjust the pilot screw to dial it in first.

The needles ELN, ELP, EKN, EKP are all extremely close to each other in dimensions. If you search on EKN or EKP there is lots of discussion.

• wayneoXCF

Posted September 05, 2001 - 01:45 PM

James,
Thanks for your post. Imtrying to get the
OBELN needle, and the parts guys look at me like im speaking japanese. Does anyone have the part # for this needle? It might make it easier on them. :)

• wayneoXCF

Posted September 05, 2001 - 01:46 PM

Originally posted by wayneo426:
James,
Thanks for your post. Imtrying to get the
OBELN needle, and the parts guys look at me like im speaking japanese. Does anyone have the part # for this needle? It might make it easier on them. :)

They cant find it by the above part #!

• Brett_Green

Posted September 05, 2001 - 11:25 PM

Hi james

Just flicking through some posts. Are these recommendations good for a UK spec '99.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Brett

Originally posted by James Dean:
OK!! :D :D :D

EKN#4
#170 main (may want to try #165)
#48 pilot
#100 air
1 turn out on pilot screw

Let us know how it goes! :)

James

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.