2006 vs. 2007

20 replies to this topic
  • TapptOut

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Who has ridden both bikes? What are the noticable differences and are they worth 1000.00?

• mxpro125

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:34 PM

Wave Rotors, Excel Rims, New suspension, and White special edition are :-) hhaha god i love my bike

• DPW

Posted September 26, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Wave Rotors, Excel Rims, New suspension, and White special edition are :-) hhaha god i love my bike

YZs have had Excels for awhile...

• Satch0922

Posted September 26, 2006 - 03:00 AM

YZs have had Excels for awhile...

not that long...what...7 or 8 years now?

See you in a few days you big sissy! :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted September 26, 2006 - 04:49 AM

LOL....can't wait we will miss you at 3-palms on Friday..
:lame:

• TapptOut

Posted September 26, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Well a Wave Rotor is only worth 200 dollars. What did they do to the suspension? And is it that noticable?

• barch88

Posted September 26, 2006 - 12:32 PM

From Yamaha-Motor:

New for 2007:

Replacing the upper cast triple clamp with a light and strong forging, slightly reducing steering head rigidity, and the use of lighter outer fork tubes; lighter wheel rims and light wave-type brake rotors add up to super-accurate, super-responsive steering.

Increasing the length of the rear shock by 1.5mm further sharpens handling. Replacing steel damping adjusters with aluminum ones removes even more weight from the four-way adjustable, titanium-sprung rear suspension unit.

A more rigid clutch pressure plate helps put power to the ground and dissipates heat more efficiently, especially during partial-clutch operation. Shorter lever stroke with 12-percent reduced effort means instant response.

New, titanium exhaust pipe fattens low- and mid-range power while simultaneously adhering to 2007 AMA noise regulations.

This year's ProTaper aluminum handlebar bend raises the grips 8mm for an expanded cockpit. Forged bar clamps reduce weight for superior handling.

• TapptOut

Posted September 26, 2006 - 08:08 PM

So does the 2007 own the 2006?

• adamdf

Posted September 28, 2006 - 03:23 AM

So does the 2007 own the 2006?

I don't think anyone is quite sure as yet but i certainly would like to find out! Does anyone have a chance to ride both back to back?

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I loved my buddies 06 and bought an 07. I have completed the engine break-in, but haven't had it to the track yet to break-in the suspension and complete the set-up. I put yellow plastic on it and have to get graphics and finish my step seat. With the bikes side by side you can easily spend an hour just looking at the bikes and notice all kinds of differences. Every part has been massaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Emiliano

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:04 PM

They have Excels since 98

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 29, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Yamaha says: "Increasing the length of the rear shock by 1.5mm further sharpens handling"

Gee...that's what I've been waiting for! That's .06 inches. What is the diference in height between the various brands of rear knobbies? How many mm of wear do we tolerate on our tires? How about our sag settings...are we nailing it that close and then keeping it adjusted to within that tolerance? Taking a dump before your ride to get rid of last night's dinner will change it that much! I'm talking about everybody here besides Grayracer because I know his world is measured in microns :lame:

I'm not bashing Yamaha...I love Yamaha. I just think it's funny that they are making such a big deal about 1.5 mm in that application. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2006 - 01:46 PM

It's fairly well known that the '06 YZ450 is very sensitive to what seem like very small changes in sag and fork height. Those who have tried their sag at 96-98 instead of 100, and pulled their forks up just 5mm, have come back and said that it made a suprisingly big difference in the handling characteristics of their bike. The shock length change simply addresses this "field fix" at the factory.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, I know...every little tweak adds up. I'm just in one of those moods :thumbsup:

Actually, the 1.5mm measured at the shock will translate into significantly more towards the rear of the bike...I can't calculate the exact amount as I don't know the distances involved from the shock mounts/swingarm pivot to the sag measuring points on the '06/'07 but I would estimate the net effect to be somewhere around 4 - 6 mm?

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, something like 3:1, or so.

• bashn

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I found an '06 SE brand new for a ridiculously low price. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I doubt I can appreciate the 06/07 differences after saving $1500! :thumbsup:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:09 PM

I found an '06 SE brand new for a ridiculously low price. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I doubt I can appreciate the 06/07 differences after saving $1500! :lame:

Right on...I'm in negotiations with a dealer here for the same thing and we are getting close. The '07's are just now rolling in around here so they should be starting to get antsy to get rid of it.

There is a dealer nearby that still has a brand new '05 on the floor! :thumbsup:

• Unibomber

Posted September 29, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Well as it is with every model year bike, if you sucked on a 2006 you will suck on a 2007. They have yet to engineer skill and experience into the new model year bikes. Boy if they can ever figure out a way to do that, im the first in line !! :thumbsup:

• pokoj

Posted September 30, 2006 - 06:23 AM

Well as it is with every model year bike, if you sucked on a 2006 you will suck on a 2007. They have yet to engineer skill and experience into the new model year bikes. Boy if they can ever figure out a way to do that, im the first in line !! :thumbsup:

AGREED!!!!

• Murray Dorward

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:30 AM

Hi what are the stock front fork and rear spring rates for the 2007 WR450 ?

I weight in at 115kg with out kit, has Yamaha springs that I can purchase or will I have to purchase aftermarket springs ?

Cheers

Muz

:thumbsup: :lame:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.