total noob here... telling you a little about myself

10 replies to this topic
  • TL426

Posted September 25, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hello everyone... i just bought a 2001 Yamaha YZF 426 last wednesday. alright, i know im stupid but to be really honest i havent ridden dirtbike for about 7 years. the last dirtbike i had was an XR70 honda when i was 9 ( ill be 16 in a month ). so i went to a friends place to ride and my steering shaft bushing on my fourwheeler broke, and steering stems are about $200 so i decided to ride his honda 230. keep in mind, first dirtbike i had ever ridden with a clutch, first dirtbike ridden in probably 7 years. so i rode it and enjoyed it alot. so i scoured the papers for a cheap 4 stroke and i saw a 426. i knew it was waaaaay too much bike for me but i thought id go test ride it anyways. so i test rode it and it scared the sh*t outta me, but i loved it. ive been riding a 1999 Polaris Sport 400 with too many mods to list ( compares to a new LTR450 4 wheeler or raptor 700 in acceleration, will edge them out by a little ) for about 5 years and i wanted something with a clutch and this dirtbike was tempting. the guy wanted $2500, i test rode it, loved it, came back a week later and offered him $2000. i took it home that night. since then ive been riding it around the house, not getting out of 2nd gear. so i go to my friends house again yesterday to ride around a bit and apparently they had just finished a motocross track down the road. so we went down there, putted around for a while... it was getting kinda boring so i decided to ride how it should be ridden. i was clearing 40 foot doubles by the end of the day. talk about a rush. sorry for the long read, thought id just tell you a little about myself.

• TL426

Posted September 25, 2006 - 05:59 PM

oh yea.. details on the bike...

2001 yamaha YZF 426 F.. 15/49 gearing for a more trail friendly 1st...stock everything else, except the guy said he put a hotcams 450 cam in there so he could pass up the decompression lever and so it would kickstart easier... and ive got a question. he put the cam in in 2004, had the valves adjusted. i rode it pretty hard yesterday and today it didnt want to start at all :thumbsup: idk if the valves might need to be adjusted again cus of the hard riding or what.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:15 PM

You're going to love that bike!

One day of hard riding will not affect your valve adjustment unless they are in need of replacement. If they haven't been adjusted since 2004 and you have no idea how many hours have been put on it since then you should check the valve clearances right away If you need to shim them I would then re-check them after 6 - 10 hours of riding to make sure they are staying in spec...if not then you will probably need to replace a valve(s). That is a bulletproof motor though.

• TL426

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:18 PM

thanks for the reply! my mom works with some guy that does hare scrambles on a brand new 450 and he really knows his stuff, so im gonna give him a call and see if he can help me out.

• TapptOut

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Your a Natural Deegan!

Just Kidding

I hate the Mulisha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:35 PM

One other thing...are you really running 15/49 gearing for trails? That's pretty high, stock is 14/49 I believe. I ride quite a bit of single track and run hare scrambes and I run 13/50. If I am going somewhere more open I put a 14 on the front.

Keep us informed on your valve clearances!

• BergArabia

Posted September 25, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Welcome Dude.
Nothing like getting straight into the jumps.
I hope you have some good protective gear..
All the best..

• TL426

Posted September 26, 2006 - 01:40 PM

yea.. well the guy that owned it before me put that on there so he could hit all the jumps on his motocross track in 2nd instead of 3rd... it is kind of a pain in really tight trails, as i found out sunday.

ive got all the gear except riding pants ( thick jeans for now ) and i need to break in my boots a little better so i can at least move my ankles.

ehh the metal militia was cool for a while but the whole attitude thing got pretty old pretty fast...

• Jaycycle

Posted September 26, 2006 - 01:58 PM

Welcome to TT and have fun with the bike. :thumbsup:

• TapptOut

Posted September 26, 2006 - 08:06 PM

yea.. well the guy that owned it before me put that on there so he could hit all the jumps on his motocross track in 2nd instead of 3rd... it is kind of a pain in really tight trails, as i found out sunday.

ive got all the gear except riding pants ( thick jeans for now ) and i need to break in my boots a little better so i can at least move my ankles.

ehh the metal militia was cool for a while but the whole attitude thing got pretty old pretty fast...

I think its the other way around. They really have mellowed it down alot. I like them better today than i did 3 years ago.

• TL426

Posted September 27, 2006 - 02:53 PM

haha that would make sense considering i havent really seen much of them recently, but the last i saw of them they were riding freestyle in all black without shirts and stuff on blacked out bike..... you'd have to be an idiot to freestyle ( or ride at all for that matter ) without a chest protector, let alone a shirt!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.