Startproblem when Hot WR450-03

4 replies to this topic
  • clun

Posted September 25, 2006 - 05:17 AM

I have problem to start my WR450-03 after i stall it.
Have to twist the handle twice and then when using the e button it takes 4-5 seconds before it starts, sometimes i also need to lift the trottle a bit. (not so good -it backfires half the times )
I do use the hotstart.

I have JD jetting blue needle #3, 170MJ ,ride at 4-500 feet, 50-70 degrees
Dont now what PJ but my zipty is at 1.1/4

Anyone have a idee what to do - upper the starter jet?

Thanks
Claes
Sweden

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 25, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Try a 48 pilot jet and get an adjustable fuel screw so you can fine tune it. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnyjeep

Posted September 25, 2006 - 04:15 PM

I havent had this problem, so I am only going off of the stuff I ve read here. Everything I have read about starting problems have been due to the exhaust valves being out of spec.

• 5hauler

Posted September 26, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Try this trick. Twist the throttle 3 times then hands off, pull hot start lever and hit start button. When starter starts to turn engine over, let go of hot start lever. My 04 450 starts this way. Any other way makes it hard to start.
Jay

• bg10459

Posted September 26, 2006 - 09:45 AM

I have found that hot starts require a very well tuned pilot circuit and maybe a slightly higher idle. I also find that the H/S broadens the range of my pilot circuit. If it's a little hotter than my jetting is set for I need the hot start, but if it's right on I don't need it. If it's too cool I re-jet. I very rarely, if at all, use any throttle when starting (except when cold); definitely not with the hot start lever.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.