07 yzf 450 ride report.......

21 replies to this topic
  • 700MX

Posted September 24, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Ok, here is my profile, http://www.sponsorho...members/Show871, here is what I think of the 07

My changes before riding, pulled the screen on the filter cage, switched to a 51 rear, sag @ 98mm. Pirelli mt 32 front. Thunder valley national mx track.

-Turning....while I feel it is better than the 06, it still is not great. I did love the front end traction. And yes, I ended up sliding up the forks 5mm! I still found myself mid turn "re-committing"

-handling....This bike feels great! Stable, and easy to fall into the right line. This track is normally "skatey" but I felt surprisingly hooked up

-Brakes....same as the 06, very progressive. rear a touch grabby?

-Suspension.... It felt good once it was broke in, but was way too soft for my speed and weight. springs are good, i need a revalve for the last half of the fork stroke. The shock was really good, not as soft, or as much "blow by" as the forks. I will be boxing things up tomorrow, and sending them to MB1

-Motor.....Well I could feel the restriction the silencer creates. even with that said, the motor was very crisp, and had a great mid and up power surge. with the 51 rear, it had decent roll on too. Compared to my Honda race bike last year the motor is quick and zingy, but does not have near the meaty torque of the Honda monster.

-Stuff.....My engine started making a weird wollowing noise. I changed the motor oil, and it went away completely. I think the dealer gave it to me with the oil level low. For me, I will be moving the bars forward. I will also be getting a full hinson clutch set up, I felt an annoying clutch drag ( but most new bikes have this).The wheel spokes I recommend tightening before you even ride it. I did this, It really helps! I also liked having the rear end ride up a little higher.

Overall I am really happy with this bike. I demo'd a new 06 a few weeks ago, and would honestly have to say the differences to me were not huge, but effective. Rode it back to back with an 07 crf and have to say I am happy with my no so "monstrous", well handling, hooked up yami!

Hope this helps!

• kyle450rider

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the report!

• BergArabia

Posted September 25, 2006 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for the report!

Ditto.
You mentioned the restrictive exhaust and the not so meaty mid range torque CF the CRF. Do you think a new exhaust would solve both problems?

• 700MX

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:06 AM

Ditto.
You mentioned the restrictive exhaust and the not so meaty mid range torque CF the CRF. Do you think a new exhaust would solve both problems?

I really think a slip on will be the way to go. you can almost hear it, it almost "sounds" restricted.

• adamdf

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the report, good to hear you are happy with the bike. I just want to hear you spell it out for us though because i am not quite sure what your opinion was on the whole YZF vs CRF(06 and 07) deal. Are you saying you could be happy with either or that you definitely prefer the YZF?

• 700MX

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the report, good to hear you are happy with the bike. I just want to hear you spell it out for us though because i am not quite sure what your opinion was on the whole YZF vs CRF(06 and 07) deal. Are you saying you could be happy with either or that you definitely prefer the YZF?

You know, I like the motor better on the Honda, mine was an 06, and I rode a new 07. But I prefer the lighter, more stable, "hooked up" feel of the yami. I am worried about starts on my yami.....I am hoping to get my yosh slip on this week to un cork this thing!

• adamdf

Posted September 25, 2006 - 11:44 AM

You know, I like the motor better on the Honda, mine was an 06, and I rode a new 07. But I prefer the lighter, more stable, "hooked up" feel of the yami. I am worried about starts on my yami.....I am hoping to get my yosh slip on this week to un cork this thing!

Sweet then, how would you compare the cornering to the honda? Oh and when you get that slip on it would be great if you could let us know how it works. thanks for the good info

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 25, 2006 - 12:15 PM

700MX How much do you weigh and what is your skill level?

Would like to hear a report on your MB1 revalved suspension.

• mxpro125

Posted September 25, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thunder Valley huh? That track has been improved so much in the last few years, too bad i moved to AZ right after it got nice.

I love my 07 Rode it all day yesterday, rode the 06 CRF and like the Yami by a mile!

-My Thoughts on the bike

"The Bike is sick! Love it, had a 06 CFR to ride back to back with, yami feels really hooked up i felt i could get on it much earlier then the Honda, turning felt similar but once again the yami feels lighter, as far as motor the Honda feels like a beast, just all over the place, but after a few pavement drag races :-) yami is right there side by side, maybe because the Honda doesn't hook up at well makes it feel like your on a beast. Overall i am very happy with my decision. Go Yamaha!"

• Mile High

Posted September 25, 2006 - 03:18 PM

Just curious, but when comparing the bikes are the tires NEW on all the bikes? New tires tend to make any bike feel "hooked up".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxpro125

Posted September 25, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Both the CRF450 and YZ450F i rode had spanking new tires

• 700MX

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Just curious, but when comparing the bikes are the tires NEW on all the bikes? New tires tend to make any bike feel "hooked up".

Yea, both 07's had less than 10 hrs. Rode my yamaha again today, and played with the sag. the sweet spot for me was 102mm. After another day on the yzf, I am feeling great on it. The track was dry & very loose, I would have been MISARABLE on my crf, the yzf was fun and hooked up! The jetting is a bit lean down low......anyone have any sugestions to try? @ 5000 ft?

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2006 - 05:07 AM

Yea, both 07's had less than 10 hrs. Rode my yamaha again today, and played with the sag. the sweet spot for me was 102mm. After another day on the yzf, I am feeling great on it. The track was dry & very loose, I would have been MISARABLE on my crf, the yzf was fun and hooked up! The jetting is a bit lean down low......anyone have any sugestions to try? @ 5000 ft?

102mm - 105mm is the sweet spot on these...raise your pilot to a 45/48 and mj to 165/168

• 700MX

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Just rode it with the yosh full system and had a smile from ear to ear!

Gave the bike low all the way through a higher revving top! I was worried initially about power with the stock system...but am relived the pipe brought this thing to life!

I assume just a slip on would work well to, the stock header looks fine, it must just be the silencer they changed to quite it down.

Thought people shopping for 07's would like to know,

• Huckster

Posted October 11, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I just read the Dirt Rider mag test on the 07. they said, "if you want to ride the whole track in one or two gears, you may lament the passing of the 06 specs..." Have you found this to be true? I have a 05 RMZ with a 50t on the rear and I can pretty much ride 95% of our local tracks in 3rd gear. I was all set to buy the YZ but now this makes me hesitate a bit. Whats your opinion?

• mxjosh

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Dirt Bike Magazines comments:

"So the YZ motor is good, but not inspirational. Its smooth and effective, which is what most of us need even if its not what we say we want. But the YZ chassis is what we want, need and gotta have. It might be the best-handling 450 on the track. The one thing that it does better than any other machine is stay put. The YZ is virtually glued to the track. Maybe that boringly smooth motor is part of the secret, but when you ride a YZ it's like you're on invisible rails."

It never says its down on power, just so smooth it feels slow. It might lack the power rush but it is effective.

• grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:10 PM

You can gear the '07 to do the same thing if you want it to. Why anyone listens to that...

• SC_Spode

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:34 PM

You can gear the '07 to do the same thing if you want it to. Why anyone listens to that....

Because JL is the Messiah. :thumbsdn:

If you don't believe me, just ask him. :devil:

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted October 15, 2006 - 08:18 PM

700MX - Gearing: you added 2 teeth to 51 without even riding it. Interesting. Can you comment on that a bit further?
BTW - brought one of these home last night! thanks for your insights. they helped me to decide. can't wait to go ride it. another one goes red to blue!

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 16, 2006 - 03:28 AM

Well I rode mine all weekend. Mostly in the woods cause I am still a bit gunshy of the track yet. It is like night and day comparing the ride of this one to the 05 I had and sold in disgust. This one is actually just as light feeling as our 250f's, and actually feels like the center of gravity is a lot lower as well.

The pipe has to go, it's nice and quiet but it kills the lower rpms and who knows what it does to the top end. The clutch throw needs some tweaking since there is very little throw from disengaged to engaged. It's tough to feather it with one finger in the tight stuff. I may just put a rekluse on it cause I really like the back brake being on the bars for traction.

I wont be selling this one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.