'96 XR600R stalls at idle

3 replies to this topic
  • plow509

Posted September 24, 2006 - 07:08 PM

My XR600R stalls at idle but restarts with no problem. It doesn't do it all of the time but too often for my liking. It mainly seems to do it when it's warmed up at operating temperature. Does anyone have any ideas and where to start looking? It doesn't seem to be lack of fuel because it starts with no problem and seems to run fine.

Also, I believe it is bone stock and I am wondering how to know if it is jetted correctly. How do I know if it is lean or rich. Sorry for my ignorance as this is my first four-stroke.

Thanks for any help I can get.

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2006 - 11:31 AM

If it's stock, it's too lean. One size up on the pilot can really help.

It could be several things. If it's getting worse with time, than it's not the jetting. If you have the tools do a compression test. Both when cold, and when it's hot when the problems happen. My bike had idle issues when my valves went bad. I had to keep turning the idle speed up to keep it runnning. It was a progressive thing that got worse and worse.

Another problem area is the stator. Mine also went bad. Poor idle when hot. Also it was very hard to start.

Could be something simple like crud in the carb, or an air leak between the carb and the engine. To check for a leak, start the bike and let it idle. Turn the idle up if you have too. Then spray carb cleaner on the carb and the rubber boot. The engine speed will change when the carb cleaner hits the leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • virtualdentist

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:13 PM

I have tried to find a thread on this subject and sorry if this post shows up on the wrong thread... I tried to start a new thead without luck.

I am 6'1" and unable to stand flat footed on the bike. Anybody aware of an adjustment or linkage after market I can install to bring the ass down about 1.5-2 inches? Much appreciate your time.

New owner in Washington.

• motoxerc0

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:15 PM

what kinda bike do you ride?

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.