hole in muffler

8 replies to this topic
  • TexasXR650L

Posted September 24, 2006 - 01:54 PM

my stock exhaust on my xr650l has a hole in the bottom of it at the end with two screw holes there, there is another plate in the muffler futher down. i think there is supposed to be a plate in place of the hole, what are these and can it cause any harm to my bike? :thumbsup: also what is uncork the air box, what is involved, how do i do it, and what am i looking for as in "cork". thanks guys

• bigredxr

Posted September 24, 2006 - 02:08 PM

That is a muffler clean out point and is used during the required maint on the stock muffler. It should have a block off plate and attaching bolts normally in that location. Hope that answers your question. If parts are missing go to Mc Mart pwersports web site and u can look up and order the missing parts there. They offer 10% discount on all online orders I believe. :thumbsup:

• rebelventurer

Posted September 24, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Mr BIGREDXR is absolutely correct, these are clean outs to blow out soot and carbon deposits which builds up over time. If you bought the bike used the previous owner probably removed the rear one thinking he was doing a good thing and relieving some back pressure, when in fact he was making a lean running bike run even leaner, which translates to hotter, which translates to more wear. although it is not much of a change, it probably would not hurt anything if the bike is rode easy, but ride it hard it will get hotter than it should. I hope I have helped, good luck. :thumbsup:

• TexasXR650L

Posted September 24, 2006 - 04:49 PM

thank you so much, i found it in the rear fender pouch and have reinstalled it! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Those holes also bypass the spark arrestor.

D

• motomonte

Posted September 25, 2006 - 03:41 PM

The procedure for cleaning the muffler involves putting a rag on the exhaust and revving the engine to force the flow thru the oppening.As for un-corking it's like popping the cork of a bottle after it's been shaken...bam!

• rebelventurer

Posted September 25, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Motomonte I like your cork popping analogy :thumbsup: :lame: :p :bonk: :eek: :bonk:
Look another six pack!

• TexasXR650L

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Those holes also bypass the spark arrestor.

D

what will that do to my bike, help it or hurt it, its 100% stock with a missing snorkel?

• rebelventurer

Posted September 25, 2006 - 10:27 PM

As far as bypassing the spark arrestor, dont ride in the woods it could start a fire by allowing the stray spark to shoot out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.