Suggestions for accessing the carb?

10 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted September 24, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I've been working my WR426 and the carb is much harder to access and seems much more complicated than all of my previous 2 strokes and 4 strokes. On previous bikes, I could just loosen the boots, and unscrew the slide so that the carb can come right out for jetting or other adjustments.

On my 426, I'm finding that there is very little room to rotate it, 2 throttle cables, TPS sensor, etc. Is there a trick to getting the carb out to rejet or work on it? Does everyone remove the subframe to get it out?

• clark4131

Posted September 24, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Practice is your best bet. I can change my needle without removing the carb, just the tank and seat. I can also change my main and pilot through the drain hole in the bottom with no disassembly whatsoever. This is on my '05, but I don't think there is too much difference with the 426, but I've never worked on one, so I'm not 100%. When it comes to removal, add another 5 minutes to the process, with no subframe disassembly...SC

• hartzpad

Posted September 24, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Practice is your best bet. I can change my needle without removing the carb, just the tank and seat. I can also change my main and pilot through the drain hole in the bottom with no disassembly whatsoever. This is on my '05, but I don't think there is too much difference with the 426, but I've never worked on one, so I'm not 100%. When it comes to removal, add another 5 minutes to the process, with no subframe disassembly...SC

For removal from the bike, do you just unplug the TPS harness, disconnect both throttle cables and fuel lines and just leave all the overflow and other clear tubes with the carb? Is there an easier way to disconnect the throttle cables than just taking the ball ends off of the carb's slide pivot?

• clark4131

Posted September 24, 2006 - 02:48 PM

For removal from the bike, do you just unplug the TPS harness, disconnect both throttle cables and fuel lines and just leave all the overflow and other clear tubes with the carb? Is there an easier way to disconnect the throttle cables than just taking the ball ends off of the carb's slide pivot?

That's how I do it, but I also have a hotstart cable to deal with...SC

• rich1167

Posted September 24, 2006 - 03:11 PM

I worked on buds 426 a couple of weeks ago. It is easier to get to then the 450. If you remove the coil mounting bolts on the Right side of the bike and just let the coil hang. You may need to loosen the muffler to head pipe clamp and slide it up to get to the coil mounting bolts. You can loosen the boots and rotate your carb (working from the left side of the bike) to get everything you need to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 24, 2006 - 03:16 PM

I have an 05 also. I don't even remove the gas tank anymore. I loosen the front and rear clamps. Then I loosen and remove the hot start cable from the carb.

I always pull all the cables and tubes up to give me some slack.

Then I pull it back and twist that SOB. Top of the carb goes t the right side, bottom goes to the left. After a couple of times, the boot on the airbox loosened up a lot making it easier.

It is always a little tricky getting to the allen bolts on the top, but its only tricky for about two minutes.

• ARin

Posted September 24, 2006 - 04:07 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=309069

• hartzpad

Posted September 24, 2006 - 07:50 PM

AMEN! Great article.

• baha

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:24 PM

:thumbsup: :lame: :p :bonk: :eek: :bonk: :mad:

• GCannon

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Take the tank off. loosen the front and rear boot all the way (don't let the nuts fall off) remove the throttle cables at the carb. disconnect TPS . from the left side pull the carb away from the motor and toward the air box while rotating the rear of the carb to the left and the front of the carb to the right side. This all in one motion will get easier with practice. Installation is reverse push the carb into the space with the front of the carb pointing at the right side of the bike rotate the front to the left and the rear to right concentrate on the front intake manifold boot first since once seated in the intake then adjustments to the air box boot will be easier. good luck

• GCannon

Posted September 25, 2006 - 09:44 AM

You may want to read this http://motoman393.th.../tech/carb.html and this http://www.thumperfaq.com/ap_mods.htm since you will have the carb off also this is a tedious procedure to be taken seriously.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.