need help, please

6 replies to this topic
  • CampCounty4Fifty

Posted September 23, 2006 - 10:18 PM

on a 2002 YZF 426:

need help, trying to remove steering head nut. it wont budge. please tell me that I am turning it the right way. (standard: left = loose, right = tight).

I know I know, tried the search found nothing.

anyone have any suggestions. I am needing to repack the steering head bearings.

• DPW

Posted September 23, 2006 - 10:48 PM

counter clock-wise to loosen and I would use a large breaker bar, it's torqued down to 105 ft/lbs from the factory.

• barch88

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:11 PM

You have it right (lefty=loosely righty=tightey). If you don't already have it, get the correct tool for the job (Combination/Box End or Open End work best here). Have someone pull the bars the opposite way while you turn the wrench, it should break loose. It will be tight, as DPW said, its torque rate is 105 ft/lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CampCounty4Fifty

Posted September 25, 2006 - 02:09 AM

Thanks Guys - :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:17 AM

...If you don't already have it, get the correct tool for the job (Combination/Box End or Open End work best here).

Open end wrenches are never a good choice for high torque applications, and should only be used in such situations when the fastener is inaccessible by a socket or box end, or to avoid using an adjustable wrench or pliers.

The first choice would be as DPW suggests; a six point socket on a long breaker bar. Turn the fork against the steering stops and brace yourself against the rear of the bike to stabilize it. Hold the top of the socket with one hand to keep it aligned and engaged, and crank on it.

Second choice is a 12 point socket, then a box end. Sizing is more critical with 12 point tools, too, so bear that in mind.

• Zique

Posted September 25, 2006 - 08:29 AM

lol...if you were me it would have come off all on it's own. :lame:

Good thing I caught that before it came all the way off. :thumbsup:

• TexN343

Posted September 25, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I had a similar problem at my last race where I was trying to change front sprocket. I had to go to the factory track side support team and borrow a hammer wrench? It is a power tool that kinda like kicks the nut loose... I dunno any other way to explain it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.