Why do the YZ's have 19" wheels and our Wr's only 18"

5 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted September 23, 2006 - 05:50 PM

I wondered why the YZ's (and it's competitors) use 19" wheels over our 18's, anyone??

• CSS9961

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:12 PM

I'm guessing it's kind of like the difference between a Ferrari with a large diameter wheel and a thin sidewall tire vs. a Lincoln Continental with a smaller wheel with a taller sidewall.

The more all around vehicle uses a tire with a softer feel, and a more forgiving sidewall. A competition tire is more of a 'no compromise' deal. It needs to be fast more so than long lasting or comfortable.

I could be totally wrong though... :thumbsup:

• cms_austx

Posted September 23, 2006 - 07:59 PM

18" is better for off-road b/c the higher sidewall reduces the likelihood of pinch flats. It also has more compliance for a slightly better ride, though that's a secondary benefit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted September 24, 2006 - 02:33 AM

19" wheel and tire combo weighs less than an 18" wheel and tire combo.

• SealClubber

Posted September 24, 2006 - 05:48 AM

The 19" tire, with its shorter sidewall and slightly smaller footprint digs in better in the so called "perfect" conditions at the track. It doesn't work as well in other conditions such a mud and sand or protect the rim as well against rocks. Also for the reasons everyone else stated.

• MountainMax

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Thanks guys for all the info. Sounds great, not for me though, which was the hidden agenda, lol.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.