How big a difference would it be on my bike if i up my front sprocket to 15t

7 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted September 23, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys, I drive my bike quite a bit on the highways (over 80km/h) and it seems like the bike is revving a bit high (wish i had a tach to know) I wondered if i went up on the front sprocket from stock how much more top speed would I get, would it keep me from doing wheelies in 4th gear and would it make the bike feel sluggish accelerating?? what do you guys think? i can get 143km/h top speed now on the pavement......

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have a 13, 14 and 15 tooth front sprocket and 2 chains ( you may be able to get away with one chain if you dont use large profile rear tires). Just switch to 13 for low speed trials type riding. Run the 15 tooth for heavy road use it feels like you added a 6th gear. It will be a lot easier on you and it will help keep the rpms down on the motor. :thumbsup:

• MountainMax

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:46 PM

will the 15 t sprocket work with a 120/100 rear tire and stock chain? and does your 15 t sprocket make the bike feel gutless? can it still wheelie in 4'th??

• steve lemley

Posted September 23, 2006 - 07:41 PM

dude if your weelieing in fourth gear on the street on that thing you are not going to be around much longer to know if your sprocket matters on the road!!!!!!!!!!! I run a 15 on long dual sport runs and have riden it in some nasty technical slow stuff and its not bad but you will notice a difference in the low end. It seems to make more of a change in the top end than the bottom. Yes you can run the stock 520 chain with that tire and a 15 tooth sprocket. Buy one, if you ride the streets and love your 5th gear then this will be the best thing you have done lately, I guarantee it!! :p JK about the weelies :bonk: :thumbsup: :lame:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info, but why am i gonna kill myself doing wheelies on the road? it's actually easier then on the dirt for traction, and I love it. the bike is so easy to wheelie since i put in the yz cam and muffler. Fastest speed doing a wheelie so far ( at the landing point) was 117 km/h, bike was wound out in 4th. SAWEET......I feel like the bike needs 6th gear though while cruising on the highway for thos long haul rides

• baha

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have a 13, 14 and 15 tooth front sprocket and 2 chains ( you may be able to get away with one chain if you dont use large profile rear tires). Just switch to 13 for low speed trials type riding. Run the 15 tooth for heavy road use it feels like you added a 6th gear. It will be a lot easier on you and it will help keep the rpms down on the motor. :thumbsup:

I do the same thing, rears are 42,50,51 15/42 will make you downshift into 4th at 55 mph 13/51 will walk on any trail and pull the front end up at any time. I have two chains as well and with the 17 inch tires a O ring chain will not clear.

• MountainMax

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:06 AM

What won't clear when using 17" tires? just curious? and will it wheelie in 5'th using the 13 t drive sprocket?

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:30 AM

Hey guys, I drive my bike quite a bit on the highways (over 80km/h) and it seems like the bike is revving a bit high (wish i had a tach to know) I wondered if i went up on the front sprocket from stock how much more top speed would I get, would it keep me from doing wheelies in 4th gear and would it make the bike feel sluggish accelerating?? what do you guys think? i can get 143km/h top speed now on the pavement......

Hey Max, I was in the same position as you mate, I too felt stock 14/50 not enough.

My feelings with the 15/50 gearing were that it was good for road, but acceleration was compromised way too much for my liking. The gain in top speed was about another 20 - 30 km/h (if speedo is accurate at those speeds). And as Indy says, like having another gear. 4th with 15/50 is a bit like 5th with 14/50!

I found I love 14/48 gearing, it is smack bang in the middle of 14/50 and 15/50. I still get acceleration and a higher top speed / not going for the imaginary 6th gear as much.

I thing I felt with the 15/50 gearing as well which I didn't really like was I felt like it was loading up the gearbox too much for my liking.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.