2003 WR450 sputters at low RPM

3 replies to this topic
  • Poway1464

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:08 PM

2003 WR450 with what I thought was a jetting problem. I did all the jetting recommendations and every combination of MJ/Pilot and needle. Grey wire cut, airboz open and Pro Circuit 496 muffler, TPS connected, throttle stop mod.
The problem is the bike stutters and hesitates just off throttle. Will sometimes idle ok and won't when warm. So from throttle position 0- 1/8+, runs like crap, which is not fun in some tight spots.
Took it in to check valves and get them adjusted and see if the dealer had any ideas. So far, after 1 week, no joy. They have not been able to find the problem. TPS checked fine.

Mid-range and WOT is just fine - no problems and nice acceleration. No popping or backfire on deceleration. Problem is just off idle.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:40 PM

You may need to try a richer pilot jet up to a 50 and make sure you adjust the fuel screw out around 2 turns to start with and then silver solder plug your leak jet. Some aftermarket pipes run lean right off idle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Poway1464

Posted September 23, 2006 - 09:15 PM

I am wondering if there is something electrical-based causing the problem? CDI?

• Poway1464

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Searching the Forum, I found a couple of threads that describe the same problem. It appears that this is a common problem and the culprit is the TPS. I will focus on that.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.