Head Exploded

6 replies to this topic
  • twowheeljunkie

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:42 AM

I'm trying to find a cylinder head or even a complete motor for a 1999 XR650L. If anyone has a part or knows where I might be able to find one please contact me at captainsuperwookie@hotmail.com.
Thanks in advance,
John

• justicedone

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:49 AM

See them on Ebay ocassionaly, check every few days. May look for a local Cycle Salvage yard as well.

Why did it implode? How many miles? User error???

• twowheeljunkie

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:44 AM

The motor had about 16K miles when the head exploded. I was riding the bike on the freeway and the valve seat popped out which slammed the valve into the piston. I could have the head repaired but the cam journals are worn and most of the parts would have to be replaced. After doing some research I have found that this is one of the only problems with this motor. Thanks for the reply and I'll keep checking Ebay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • murukalo

Posted June 21, 2008 - 08:27 PM

......wow that sucks big try ebay

• J_T

Posted June 21, 2008 - 09:57 PM

The motor had about 16K miles when the head exploded. I was riding the bike on the freeway and the valve seat popped out which slammed the valve into the piston. I could have the head repaired but the cam journals are worn and most of the parts would have to be replaced. After doing some research I have found that this is one of the only problems with this motor. Thanks for the reply and I'll keep checking Ebay.

Can you elaborate? I've never heard of this as a common problem?

JT

• pwrpapa

Posted June 21, 2008 - 10:10 PM

it's a problem if you run them hot an lean.
the 600's are known for cracking and the seats falling out, but not so much the XRL's. hmmm.
16000miles with stock jetting it may happen I don't know I always jet my bikes richer.
I would like to hear some more details.

• cleonard

Posted June 21, 2008 - 11:09 PM

it's a problem if you run them hot an lean.
the 600's are known for cracking and the seats falling out, but not so much the XRL's. hmmm.
16000miles with stock jetting it may happen I don't know I always jet my bikes richer.
I would like to hear some more details.

That's correct it's all about overheating. The aluminum expands and relaxes. The steel inserts get loose and can fall out. Competent shops can make oversize replacements. I caught mine and had two replaced before the engine went boom. I was lucky and just lost compression.

It's not so much the freeway that causes it. Slow speeds and working the engine caused it for me. Think sand dunes or gnalry singletrack on a 100 degree day.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.