YZ for Baja?

7 replies to this topic
  • Zique

Posted September 22, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hey all,

I was just wondering...I know a lot of the Baja guys run the XR650R. I was wondering how well a 426 would hold up? Would the oil capacity hold up to a larger race like that? I've got a 2.5 hour trek coming up and the majority of it will be at the higher speeds (60-80 mph). The seat alone has got me wondering, but what kind of mechanical problems might I face?

• SRT426

Posted September 22, 2006 - 10:06 PM

Pastrana and his crew did it on a 450 Suzuki so I don't see why a bulletproof 426 couldn't do it. Probably would want to go with some sort of padding on the seat though. Maybe cut the foam and then add a soft cushion to fill in the void the recover with a gripper seat cover. I'm sure you'll want to really raise the gearing, maybe 15/47 or something llike that so you can cruise but keep the revs down. I think it's really possible, just need to make sure you've got the pit crew with some extra parts to fix any and all unforseen incidents. Hope you do it and good luck :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted September 22, 2006 - 10:59 PM

Honda is running the 450x now instead of the 650.

• bhiggins25

Posted September 23, 2006 - 09:40 AM

426s make great Baja bikes. Obviously, the WR is better suited than the YZ, but I've been on lots of trips with guys riding YZs and they have been fine. Spent a lot of time on a WR426 in Baja as well. For the trips we do, the lack of lights on the YZ is the biggest issue.

The most important thing for any Baja bike is reliability. This is not an issue for well-maintained 426s. What you DO need to think about are issues like gearing, fuel capacity, and rider comfort.

Have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:47 AM

...For the trips we do, the lack of lights on the YZ is the biggest issue...What you DO need to think about are issues like gearing, fuel capacity, and rider comfort.

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a desert tank already. I also have the WR stator and Flywheel powering an LED tail and the UFO dual headlight set-up. I have kept the seat stock though. Am I going to need to carve my own? I also have the stock gearing (14/49? If I remember right). I don't want to loose my low end grunt though either. I may just have to keep two sets of gears around to swap out when I need.

• ThompsonV311

Posted September 23, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Honda is running the 450x now instead of the 650.

Actually the A and B team still do use the 650. At least as of this last Baja. I race quite often with Kendall Norman, Robbie Bell, and Mikey Childress in D-37. it is amazing to see firsthand how fast those kids are. Almost an honor to be on the same course, even though getting passed by them.

• bhiggins25

Posted September 23, 2006 - 04:01 PM

If it's just a two or three hour ride the stock seat will probably work.

As for gearing, my advice is to think very carefully about making changes, and to not assume anything about Baja. Talk to the guys you're going with and get a sense for what the pace is going to be like, as well as the terrain.

You do not want to make the common mistake of gearing the bike to do 90 mph and then having to fight your way through rocky single-track trails, and there are plenty of them in Baja.

If you're going to be primarily going fast, add a tooth to the front sprocket. More dramatic gearing changes should only be done upon the advice of others who have done this ride.

My $.02.

• gbalias

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:12 PM

i was in the same boat kinda....but ive got a 98 400. ill be doin a desert race in 3 weeks and its to be 200 miles. the bike is mechanically sound and only gets the best attention. but i was thinking about doing a 48 tooth for the rear and leaving the front at 14. right now im running 14/51. but we wont know the course until the day of the race. no pre-runs allowed. damnit! you guys think she'l make it?

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.