Wrong oil, or worn clutch?

15 replies to this topic
  • Supafreak_711

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Hey, I have noticed recently that my 450F seems to slip a bit while in gear. I can take the bike up the street (so I know the tire isnt spinning) and sometimes if I get on the throttle hard enough the RPM's will increase faster than the speed (I can feel the bike not going quite as fast as it should).

Also, recently I have been using up some extra oil that we had in the garage (it was an expensive synthetic, but made for a automobile engine). Is this likely the cause of the slipping? I went out and bought some motorcycle specific oil hoping this solves the problem, but I'm 2 hours from my bike (im at college, its at home). I want/need the bike to be ready for the GMB V race next weekend (even though its definately ridable now, the slipping is just barely noticable), so I need to know if I should order a clutch kit ASAP.

Is this likely an oil problem? or should I consider rebuilding the clutch. If I do get a clutch kit, how expensive are they, and how long will it take to install (for someone doing it for the first time, but has some mechanical experience such as valve shimming etc)

Thanks in advance for the help.

I asked my dad at home to change the oil for me and test ride the bike, but Im not sure he would notice the slipping anyways. I only noticed it because I know what the bike should feel like, and even then I just barely noticed it after 3-4 hours of riding.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:35 PM

The wrong oil is a definite possibility. If that synthetic oil you used has moly (molybdenum) in it, your clutch is toast. Moly is a super slick oil additive, and is NOT what you want on your clutch plates. I'd order a new clutch kit and install it, but change the oil first!! It shouldn't take you longer than half an hour to an hour. You can get clutch kits from your dealer or you can order it on the Web. Prices will vary. I know Rocky Mountain has Tusk clutch kits from about 45 bucks, including the springs. Not sure about the quality, but I have heard that they are made by EBC. Good luck!

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Moly per se would not be the culprit, and not all molybdenum oil additives are friction modifiers. There are at least as many moly based boundary lube additives ("anti-wear" additives) as moly friction reducers. Many of the best motorcycle specific JASO MA oils (certified suitable for wet clutches) contain a considerable amount of moly, and work just fine.

But the oil could be the problem anyway. If it is marked "Energy Conserving", or bears the symbol, "EC II" in the API grade circle on the label, it's suspect.

• moto for life

Posted September 22, 2006 - 11:10 PM

hey man you might want to check the throw out bearing in your clutch and make sure that its working right and make sure that your arm that come out of the case that your cable connects to is not riding on your case. I have an 06yz450f and I went through 3 clutch kits and 1 inner hub and a preasure plate so do all the checking and make sure, befor you start spending and if you get a new clutch kit dont buy the barnette, or the ebc clutch kits unless you have an aftermarket hub,basket and presure plate or it will warp the stock one cuz the clutch material is alot tougher than the stock basket,hub,and presure plate can handel trust me I did this already and found out that its hard on the bike and on the pocket book and like the others said try a different oil like yamalube or silkolene. get back to me and let me konw if this helped ya
-Thomas-

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:47 PM

I'm going to call my dad today and ask him to change the oil and test it for me. But the big question is, will he be able to tell whether or not its fixed... or should I ask him to go ahead and order a clutch kit?

Also after reading moto_for_life's post, if I do order a clutch kit, is there a specific brand (or OEM) that you recomend? Also, where can I find them to order from.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm slowly starting to figure the bike out one part at a time... now its time to learn about the clutch :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm thinking I might go ahead and ask him to order a clutch kit. If the clutch is worn out then I will have it, if not then I will just have the kit for when the clutch is worn out (but the $ will put off a new rear tire for a bit)

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Ok I just found a Tusk Clutch kit on rockymountainatv.com for $45 of $50 with the "heavy duty" springs... would the Tusk kit last? Has anyone tried them? I owned a set of Tusk handguards which broke the first time they touched the ground (granted, they did a little more than just touch) so I'm kinda leary of their products.

If it matters I am a entering my first race (hopefully more will follow) in the beg class (with the expectation of moving up quickly). I am a big guy (6'4" 220lbs) , and while im not going to say I use all of the bikes power, I am definately not shy on the throttle by any means (the bike does get reved out etc). Im just trying to give you an idea of my riding ability, if that makes a difference in what type of clutch you would recomend.

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 23, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Alright, I might just end up ordering the TUSK kit unless someone advises otherwise...

• aedwards07

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Dont get the tusk kit.Just get the OEM kit.You will not find a better clutch and my experience with tusk clutches havent been good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Dont get the tusk kit.Just get the OEM kit.You will not find a better clutch and my experience with tusk clutches havent been good.

What haven't you liked about TUSK clutches?

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Do local yamaha dealers normally stock clutch kits? Also, where could I find a OEM kit on the net in case the local dealer doesnt have one? I need the kit by this friday, preferably sooner. Also, about how much does the stock kit cost?

• Satch0922

Posted September 24, 2006 - 03:30 AM

the dealer should stock it.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:10 AM

Do local yamaha dealers normally stock clutch kits? Also, where could I find a OEM kit on the net in case the local dealer doesnt have one? I need the kit by this friday, preferably sooner. Also, about how much does the stock kit cost?

Before you buy anything disassemble the clutch and check the basket for grooves (it may need to be replaced - depends how hard you and previous owners were on the clutch).........depending on the outcome, plan to buy the yamaha GYTR clutch kit....for the 03 it will have all the plates and a new actuator arm. It cost about 100.00...I also would spend another 15.00 and replace all the clutch springs with new from Yamaha...and please use the right oil from now on......... :thumbsup:

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 24, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Yeah, my dad changed the oil and said it is still slipping a bit. He wants me to ride it on saterday to see if running it a bit and changing the oil again makes a difference, if not then we will throw a clutch kit on there saterday night for sundays race. He said he would go to the local yamaha dealer to look for the kit, but is there a shop on the web I could order from if they dont have them in stock?

As for the oil, even though it might not be the culprit... I think I will be sticking to motorcycle specific oil from now on. We just had this in the shop, and my dad wanted me to use it up before buyying more oil. Guess I'm learning my lesson...

I will probably end up posting a thread saterday nightish when I am home to work on the bike, so look for my desperate cries for help as I mess with a clutch for the first time. Nah it shouldnt be that bad, but I'm sure I will have a question or two.

Thanks a bunch for all of the help!
Miles

• aedwards07

Posted September 24, 2006 - 01:39 PM

The thumpertalk store has the best deal on the OEM clutch.

• Fastest1

Posted September 24, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Clutches will not improve with use. Maybe you could get another ride or two by removing the plates and scuffing them up. OEM will be the best bet. Rotella works well in these bikes and it is inexpensive. It doesnt effect the clutch.

• Supafreak_711

Posted September 24, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Clutches will not improve with use. Maybe you could get another ride or two by removing the plates and scuffing them up. OEM will be the best bet. Rotella works well in these bikes and it is inexpensive. It doesnt effect the clutch.

I think his thinking is that if the problem was completely caused by the oil, that if I ride it for a bit with the new oil in it perhaps it will flush the other stuff out and help. Though if he does order the kit I will probably ask him to go ahead and help me install it friday night.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.