Turbo Kit

13 replies to this topic
  • Chrome Speedo

Posted September 22, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone know of a good turbocharger kit for the YZ450? Just in case we ever drag race, I want to be faster.

• John407

Posted September 22, 2006 - 03:38 PM

There is a +30 Pro in Calgary Alberta that is running Nitrous on his CRF450. I've never seen a turbo on a dirt bike. The Nitrous is pointless until 3rd or 4th gear, but then it pulls harder than a good running KX500. It was amazing to watch.

• djbiker

Posted September 22, 2006 - 04:36 PM

i have seen it done it was a turbo off a eagle talion with a blow off valve so it would only run 10psi it was also lowered like 5inchs front and rear wheely bar and an auto clucth. it was insain drag bike with street tires
i would have bought a street bike and done it personally but what ever

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 22, 2006 - 07:23 PM

i've seen a blaster with a turbo from an old car.

even at 5 pounds of boost, somethings gonna give! :thumbsup:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 22, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Maybe after EFI that will be the next big change in off road bikes...turbo or supercharging.

• BergArabia

Posted September 22, 2006 - 09:41 PM

i've seen a blaster with a turbo from an old car.

even at 5 pounds of boost, somethings gonna give! :lame:

Yeah like pistons, crankshafts, stuff like that.. :thumbsup:

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 22, 2006 - 09:42 PM

dont bet on it...wheel spin is already an issue, the pros want to back the bikes down to 350f's....maybe two strokes will make a comeback

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gbalias

Posted September 23, 2006 - 02:36 AM

turbocharging a thumper is no easy business. and the dirtbike that had a talon turbo on it....i highly doubt it was a small motor thumper. main reason is is because the exhaust velocity isnt enough to turn a turbo the size of the TSi's. probably a t28 or similar. i dunno for sure....i only do german cars. hehe.

• NavyNuke

Posted September 23, 2006 - 03:46 AM

also the exhaust pulses tear the turbo's up.

i used to ride a TL1000 and people who put turbo's on them had unfavorable results due to excessive exhaust pulse force causing the turbo to change speed rapidly between exhaust pulses.

I would rather see super chargers, or NOS, might hold up better, but then you have a lot more complex stuff to break when you are beatting the PISS outta the bike.

• loudmuffler

Posted September 23, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Theirs kits for 400ex/xr400. The honda puts out about 50hp stock with turbo and nothing broke. On the yamaha it would put at least 80hp

• gbalias

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:16 AM

On the yamaha it would put at least 80hp

whered these numbers come from? its not likely that just a 'turbo' will increase power by like 60-70%.

and like navy said, the turbo would die very quickly. ive built numerous turbo cars and trust me, the turbo lasts a LOT longer when the speed is changed at a steady variation. some of them will spool to about 140,000rpm, too fast to get goin by a thumper.

• loudmuffler

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:41 AM

whered these numbers come from? its not likely that just a 'turbo' will increase power by like 60-70%.

and like navy said, the turbo would die very quickly. ive built numerous turbo cars and trust me, the turbo lasts a LOT longer when the speed is changed at a steady variation. some of them will spool to about 140,000rpm, too fast to get goin by a thumper.

I seen a stock 400ex with turbo on the dyno. Stock it had about 25hp. With turbo it had i think 48hp. Thats about double what it had so im gessing it would do the same to the yz bikes which already have around 50hp stock.
I seen a couple dynos with quads/bikes that had turbo and it looked like turbo added around 30hp on all of them. Turbo sells for almost the price of the bike. LIKE $5,000 :thumbsup:

• gbalias

Posted September 23, 2006 - 04:33 PM

damn. well, i can assure you, the internals wont last very long at all.

• HeadTrauma

Posted April 24, 2007 - 12:06 PM

I know this thread is old, but I don't think anyone gets tired of talking about turbocharging....

Anyway, a turbo is NOT going to double the power of a YZ4F like it did to the 400EX. You know why? Compression. The 400EX has what, 9:1? That's a lot less than your Yamahas. The YZ will not tolerate nearly as much boost before it starts rattling(pinging) and nukes the piston. The high compression coupled with boost also greatly increases the average cylinder pressure and that in turn breaks parts faster.

Regarding turbocharger sizing, that is a science in itself. It's not too difficult to learn how, but it does need a fair bit of math and research. There are extremely few turbochargers from cars that will be small enough for a bike engine. I have one, but it surely was not easy to get.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.