Fouls plugs how to fix?

9 replies to this topic
  • loudmuffler

Posted September 22, 2006 - 01:58 PM

On deceleration it pops a lot. After riding the plug is always black. Rich? Do i just go down 1 main jet size at a time till the plug is tan?

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 22, 2006 - 02:26 PM

hmmm, your bike pops lots and you think its rich?????

no, on decal whens its popping like that, thats becuase its lean. even though its "lean", your plug will come out black, don't worry about.

what kind of bike do you have?

if its an 2006 go up 1 size on the pilot if its still stock :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Search results:

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

http://www.thumperta...233#post3800233

Unless you are using leaded fuel, you can't really read plugs by color to determine the correct jetting, and even then, you can really only read for the main jet.

Plugs that are fouled will not allow the bike to run, or at least not without misfiring. "Fouled" means that the insulator is contaminated with conductive material that shorts out the spark.

What year/model is your bike?

• loudmuffler

Posted September 22, 2006 - 02:59 PM

2002 426. The main is a 175 i think.
What do i adjust? Do i bring the needle up one notch?
Will any thing go wrong if i don't jet it right?

• loudmuffler

Posted September 22, 2006 - 03:17 PM

don't worry about.

:

I have to worry about it. I was told if i dont get it jetted right i will mess my valves up or reck my piston :thumbsup: . TRUE?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 22, 2006 - 04:09 PM

not really, unless you run the bike VERY lean for a long time. this would be no fun, cuase it would run like poo poo and stall, over heat, etc.

• loudmuffler

Posted September 22, 2006 - 04:52 PM

not really, unless you run the bike VERY lean for a long time. this would be no fun, cuase it would run like poo poo and stall, over heat, etc.

My radiator starts bubbling coolant out after 20mins. It some times stalls in turns when i let off the throttle. I have no packing in my shorty :thumbsup: .

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 22, 2006 - 07:18 PM

My radiator starts bubbling coolant out after 20mins. It some times stalls in turns when i let off the throttle. I have no packing in my shorty :lame: .

sounds like you got some work to do.

what jets are in the bike now?

maybe go back to stock and start from there. :thumbsup:

• mpl239

Posted September 22, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Start with a JD jet kit, it will cure what ails you

• loudmuffler

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Main is a 175 i think. Will xr400 kehin jets work? I have a xr400 jet kit. The jet kit has main jets/needle/main jet adapters. Well i looked and the yz main jet is tall and fat and the xr jets are small. If i screw the xr main jets into the main jet adapters Then its about the same siz as the yz main jet. Is that what the adapters are for?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.