44 replies to this topic
  • MojaveThumper

Posted September 24, 2006 - 06:43 AM

Try this site for kits...

Good luck.

http://www.rotax.net.../price list.pdf

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 07:38 AM

Seriously? The wr's are dogs. They need big time motor help.

Am I the only one with a WR450F that agrees with Shady? :thumbsup:
I got Vortex ignition and Procircuit Ti GP pipe, jetted very crisp, Tons of power over stock, but still not enough..........

• ARin

Posted September 24, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I got Vortex ignition and Procircuit Ti GP pipe, jetted very crisp, Tons of power over stock, but still not enough..........

and you think honda has more??

• johnnyjeep

Posted September 24, 2006 - 09:37 AM

you can put a rocket on your bike and as soon as you figure out how to handle it, there wont be enough. Where does it end?

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 10:28 AM

and you think honda has more??

No I don't, but the comment was made about the WR450F.
And yes the stock, even a free modded WR450F leaves alot to be desired.

• MountainMax

Posted September 24, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Alley Cat, man if you think they need alot to be desired what did you ride before/ a YZ 1000 2 stroke or something? I think my wr450 (with some mods) has loads of power, What would be enough?

• tony1970

Posted September 24, 2006 - 11:29 AM

No I don't, but the comment was made about the WR450F.
And yes the stock, even a free modded WR450F leaves alot to be desired.

Why the hell do people buy a WR "trail bike" and bitch about the power. Buy a YZF put in a big bore kit, cam it and be done with it. Here's a new one, buy a KTM 525 SX and take it out on the trails if you want more power. How about starting another thread that never comes up " I want to motocross my WR, what mods do I need?". :thumbsup: :lame:

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Why the hell do people buy a WR "trail bike" and bitch about the power.

1: Because it is a 450 and it lacks power.
2: Because it is supposed to be an "enduro bike" not a "trail bike". If I wanted a "trail bike", I would have got a DRZ400.

Buy a YZF put in a big bore kit, cam it and be done with it. Here's a new one, buy a KTM 525 SX and take it out on the trails if you want more power.

I got the WR450F like everyone else in Australia that wants to road register the thing. We can't register any MX bike here, and we haven't got the 525sx in Australia anymore. How about doing some research before making suggestions? :thumbsup:

How about starting another thread that never comes up " I want to motocross my WR, what mods do I need?". :lame: :p

Now you are just being stupid. :bonk:

• whoops dude

Posted September 24, 2006 - 12:35 PM

my WR is stock has all the free mods done and is jetted properly and it in no way lacks power.

• tony1970

Posted September 24, 2006 - 12:45 PM

1: Because it is a 450 and it lacks power.
2: Because it is supposed to be an "enduro bike" not a "trail bike". If I wanted a "trail bike", I would have got a DRZ400.

I got the WR450F like everyone else in Australia that wants to road register the thing. We can't register any MX bike here, and we haven't got the 525sx in Australia anymore. How about doing some research before making suggestions? :thumbsup:

Now you are just being stupid. :bonk:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't Enduros held on trails? The last one I race was. And forgive me for not being up to date with your countries laws and what is imported and not imported. I am just a typical American..... I just don't care! :eek: :lame: :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodjy

Posted September 24, 2006 - 07:26 PM

[quote name='Alley Cat']1: Because it is a 450 and it lacks power.

Hey Alley Cat, I wonder if you have tuned your 450 right? I'm surprised to hear someone complaining about the power as an enduro bike. Sure, it has a ceiling on power in the top end and it would be nice to have an ever increasing rip but it's designed for enduros and power like that, especially on a carbureted engine, would come at a cost in the lower rev ranges. I reckon, even with a world class rider an enduro bike would spend 80% of its time in the mid rev range, 18% in the low range and 2 % in the top end so why would you build an engine with huge top end and the associated loss of driveability down low and mid range? Yamaha would sell stuff all bikes because everyone would be complaining about it stalling all the time, crap hill climbing and traction in slippery conditions. Like with the Yamaha, the Honda and KTM 450's are the same, if your riding is open fast flat out everywhere, chuck the MX cams and flywheel in, maybe a programmable ignition and tune her right and it will suit your riding perfectly but it will be a pain in the a$$ to ride in the bush. The 525 is 16% bigger so you could expect 16% more power throughout the revs. Top end that equates to 8 HP. I reckon I'd notice 8 more HP too. Horses for courses man!

• baha

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:18 PM

All the power you want, check out the displacement on a tall billet crank and cylinder

http://www.faliconcr...com/yamyz45.htm

OOOOh I wish I had that-maybe not-I could get killed :thumbsup:

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hey Dodgy, correct me if I am wrong mate, but the WR450F Has poor bottom end but nice top end. This problem has been targeted by Yamaha for the '07 WR models if you read the spec sheets.

Myself, I got a Procircuit Ti GP lowboy exhaust system, targets low to mid range mate. I got a Vortex ignition to make the most of the exhaust system too. Don't worry about tuning on my bike, it is crisp and pulls very clean. The power over a stock WR450F is awesome, but here is the thing, it is way easier to ride with all that extra power. Yes my riding is more open being mainly 4x4 tracks through the bush, yes I am looking at cams and head work for my bike. And definately yes to the flywheel weight being way too much!

My suspension is professionally set up too, this has been the biggest effect on the way my bike performs. The bike is so easy to ride now, It is no longer an unwieldy beast, but easier to ride than a 250F. I got one of those too! Because my bike is so confidence inspiring, maybe that's why I feel it lacks power?

Will you pay out on me if I said the stock WR450F handles like a pig too? :lame:

People don't realize that the more power you have, the longer you have to use the power. Is the power enough? For most people who ride sensibly. If nobody cared about power, we would all be riding WR250F's right? :thumbsup:

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:38 PM

All the power you want, check out the displacement on a tall billet crank and cylinder

http://www.faliconcr...com/yamyz45.htm

OOOOh I wish I had that-maybe not-I could get killed :lame:

Oh so nice! I have that page saved in my favorites already!!! :thumbsup:

• baha

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:40 PM

Oh so nice! I have that page saved in my favorites already!!! :thumbsup:

Man you could use it out there.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 24, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Man you could use it out there.

Definately, but I think it is out of my price range.........

• darrylwt

Posted September 25, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Oh Shady, Where the heck did you find somebody with the talent to out ride their modded WR? And here I was gonna ring the bell for school to start....
Rains are a coming, and work is a slowing. We will hook up soon bro!
PS. If she ain't leaking, don't bust her open. Ride like you stole it!

agree, I just got a 06 WR450 with all the free mods and WB E2 muffler and my bike run great and has the power it feels all most as fast as the CR500 I road for years and I was very surprised the 4 stroke was so quick I was worried about that when I decided to go to a 4 stroker from a big 2 stroke but then I am in So Cal where the Mountains are small Ha Ha!

• Dodjy

Posted September 25, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hey Dodgy, correct me if I am wrong mate, but the WR450F Has poor bottom end but nice top end. This problem has been targeted by Yamaha for the '07 WR models if you read the spec sheets.

Will you pay out on me if I said the stock WR450F handles like a pig too? :lame:

People don't realize that the more power you have, the longer you have to use the power. Is the power enough? For most people who ride sensibly. If nobody cared about power, we would all be riding WR250F's right? :thumbsup:

Compared to some other modern 450s, yep, the WR has less bottom end but this is a by-product of it's sweet mid to high range power which they don't have. I wouldn't call it poor, it's still amazing for a 450cc donk I reckon. You'll never get low down balls and a ripper top end unless they use EFI and/or variable valve timing (I wish) or maybe more cubes. Besides, I have never, ever needed more low down balls on my WR. It has plenty to start off on the steepest hills, pop the front over puddles, logs and small hairy creatures at any revs, and tractor up snotty wet clay just above idle, and all this without needing to fan the clutch. Where elso do you need it? I've gotto admit, I've got a power blade in the front of the carb so this helps all this (mainly increases the snappyness down low improving response) at the expense of a little top end. Your right, a well set up bike makes you ride faster with more confidence and you just want more grunt, it's addictive. As for handling, it all depends on your weight and the year. I've got an 05 and weigh 80 Kg. It's a bit soft for huge jumps but definitely not a pig. The 06 has a soft rear shock. There's a fair bit to be gained by setting it up professionally, but like any mass produced vehicle, it's made for the average. Besides if it was perfect, what would we do in the garage while were not riding, just look at it?

• Few

Posted September 25, 2006 - 10:30 PM

YZ cams will make a big difference. Also some use a cams out of the YFZ 450 quad, but studies have shown that the bike will do more donuts in a staging area and the urge to drink and ride without a helmet goes up. :thumbsup:

Tony, I knew only you would appreciate this header.... http://www.xylicon.c..._face_plant.wmv
Enjoy.

• tony1970

Posted September 26, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Tony, I knew only you would appreciate this header.... http://www.xylicon.c..._face_plant.wmv
Enjoy.

:p :bonk: :eek: OUCH! :lame: Thats a good one. Goes to show you quads are best left on the farm. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.