Precision Concepts - CR500 Shock Body?

7 replies to this topic
  • Potts228

Posted September 21, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Has anyone here been able to ride on of the PC XR650Rs with their shock mod where they use a modified CR500 shock vs the PC modified stock XR650R shock? Trying to find out from users if spending the extra $600.00 is worth it.

Thanks

• motochris

Posted September 21, 2006 - 07:52 AM

It's my understanding that the main benefit is the larger body. More oil, less fade. I'm guessing that if you aren't the racer type, it won't be worth the difference. I was told that from PC themselves. Performance is virtually the same.

• BWB63

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I run the CR500 shock body on my bike. The biggest thing is you have both the high and the low compression settings. I will do a writeup on what it took to do it and how it works. Mine has a Gold valve in it.

• Kritter

Posted September 21, 2006 - 01:03 PM

I run the CR500 shock body on my bike. The biggest thing is you have both the high and the low compression settings. I will do a writeup on what it took to do it and how it works. Mine has a Gold valve in it.

Ditto on that. Its not so much the increased oil volume, its the hi speed adjuster.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potts228

Posted September 21, 2006 - 01:34 PM

It's my understanding that the main benefit is the larger body. More oil, less fade. I'm guessing that if you aren't the racer type, it won't be worth the difference. I was told that from PC themselves. Performance is virtually the same.

That's kind of what they told me and that the CR500 body works best for high speeds (100mph). After I put some thought into it, at high speeds the shock really isn't working that hard compared to hammering whoops so it seems more logical that the larger body would stay cooler at lower speeds.

I have a CR500 shock but PC won't use this so If I want them to do it I will need to shell out the extra $600.00

Anyway...I'm confused a little on which direction to go but the high speed/Low speed compression of the CR 500 shock seems like more of the benefit.

Thanks and BWB63... looking forward to the write up.

• surfnride

Posted September 21, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Has anyone here been able to ride on of the PC XR650Rs with their shock mod where they use a modified CR500 shock vs the PC modified stock XR650R shock? Trying to find out from users if spending the extra $600.00 is worth it.

Thanks

Yes, I have raced on both shocks. The CR shock works better. $600 better? Good question.... my opinion, unless you're a top pro, (maybe you are) no, it won't make any difference. The standard Precision Concepts shock revalved, and resprung works fantastic.

Here's something else to consider...I just bought a used 650R. It already has the $1100 CR rear shock. It helped my decision the buy the bike. So, my point is, The bad-ass shock is probably worth $300-$400 in resale value.

Question- what will you be doing with this kick-ass precision concepts suspension once you decide to do it?
Ron

• Potts228

Posted September 21, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Yes, I have raced on both shocks. The CR shock works better. $600 better? Good question.... my opinion, unless you're a top pro, (maybe you are) no, it won't make any difference. The standard Precision Concepts shock revalved, and resprung works fantastic.

Here's something else to consider...I just bought a used 650R. It already has the $1100 CR rear shock. It helped my decision the buy the bike. So, my point is, The bad-ass shock is probably worth $300-$400 in resale value.

Question- what will you be doing with this kick-ass precision concepts suspension once you decide to do it?
Ron

Thanks Ron,

Your input is great! ... I never think of resale as dirt bikes for me have always been a money pit.

Not a top pro by any stretch but was pro Motocrosser years ago. The PC revalve is awesome and I have only ridden with the standard shock and not the CR500 body. I am setting up a new bike for the 1000 for this year for class 40.

• BWB63

Posted September 21, 2006 - 02:27 PM

When you are talking high speed adjustment; you are talking the speed of the shock shaft movement not the speed of the bike. High speed -> quick hits, ruts, square hits (you could be going fast, the faster you go the quicker the hit) Slow speed -> big slow hits (like jumps, 'G' outs, big rolling whoops). If you have both shocks and get a Gold valve for the Cr500 shock it is not hard to do the switch. You use your XR650R shaft, shim stack (one simular), both bladders are the same, use the Cr500 seal head, 2.5wt or 3wt fluid. The valve of the CR500 is to harsh to use. It is used backwards to ours and the ports are not the right size but, the Gold Valve is right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.