Another question on 06 bar height

13 replies to this topic
  • steve_97060

Posted September 20, 2006 - 07:16 PM

I have seen recommendations of an increase in bar height of 10mm, I emailed protaper and they say the stock bar height is 77mm. I noticed in other threads that the popular choice was the Windham bars, but they are 99mm which means they are 22mm higher than stock. Has anyone tried the Henry/Reed bars, they are 92mm, 15 higher than stock.

thanks..

• Baron Von Beard

Posted September 20, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I called Pro Taper to ask what bend the stock 06 bars were and was told that they are basically the Carmichael bend but that they are Yamahas specs and only available through Yamaha. Well I happen to have a set of Carmichael Pro Tapers and they are not even close to the same bend. The Windham bend is pretty tall, I owned those as well. The Henry/Reed bend is a very good universal bend bar. Not too tall, not too short, not too much or too little sweep.

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:05 AM

I purchased the Henry/Reed bend in the contour bars and they seemed to have much more vibration through them than my old protapers off of my older bike. The ones I had were rm high and they are the originals. As far as the height and bend, I love them, they take getting used to since I had been riding with bent bars for about 6 weeks. But from what I can tell they are nice. Does anyone else have any complaints about the contour bars vibrating bad? Any quick fixes i can do to the stock bar mounts to ease this?

• Ga426owner

Posted September 21, 2006 - 07:30 AM

The Windham Bend .... works great :thumbsup:

• chrisl609

Posted September 21, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I'm running the Henry / Reed bend, fits me perfect (5'9").

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2006 - 10:27 AM

The bars I took off of the '06 are very nearly identical to the set of Pro Taper "YZ High" bars (high?) that I bought for the 250F. They also very nearly match the set of Tag "YZ" bars on my '03. You figure it out.

We put Windhams on the '06, and they're perfect for my 6'2" son. To me (5'10"), they feel a little tall, and it takes me about a lap to adjust to them when I ride it, but not bad at all. I think I would probably like the Henry/Reed bars for myself.

• yami racer

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:57 AM

Windhams for me 6'

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted September 21, 2006 - 12:24 PM

I had reed/henry bars but didn't like the pullback which is s bit more than the stock ones have. I like pretty straight bars, the stock one is nice in that respect but too low. I've got Magura SX now, the ones I fell in love with in 2003, they are just the best. If I were to buy protapers, this would be my choice, enough height and minimal pullback:
Protaper Factory Suzuki 02-4783 silver 1-1/8" handlebar
But the bar is really a rider preference, what suits me will not necessarily suit you. :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted September 21, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Windhams contour....6'3

• adamdf

Posted September 21, 2006 - 03:02 PM

I have the Henry/Reed bars on my 06 YZ250F and i think they are the best bars i have ever used to date!(15 years of riding mx, i'm now 21, been riding my whole life) I would highly recommend them. I am about 5'9-5'10 somewhere around there.

• steve_97060

Posted September 21, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I am 5'10 and it seems like for the people around my height, the Henry/Reed bars work well. Those were the bars I was leaning towards getting anyway...

thanks all...

• moto for life

Posted September 21, 2006 - 09:09 PM

The stock bars are great but you need to play with how you have them set in your clamps and if another thing is not the bars you need to try get your forks in the right spot in you triple clamps, get back to me and let me know if that worked for you

• SCIENCE

Posted September 22, 2006 - 06:44 AM

If I were to buy protapers, this would be my choice, enough height and minimal pullback:
Protaper Factory Suzuki 02-4783 silver 1-1/8" :thumbsup:

Agreed, the Factory Suzuki work very well.
Unfortunately, things are changing at ProTaper. They have ended their long term mfg agreement with Easton. (to much $$ to keep producing in USA!) Hence the Contour & EVO offering. From what I've heard, the EVO will be on par w/the original PT's. Strength/vibration dampening etc. The Contour is a lower price point offering. It looks like a PT but is not as strong and does not dampen vibrations as well. As with about everything, you get what you pay for.
Personally, I'm buying an extra set of the originals and may try the EVO's.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:09 AM

I'm 6'2" and have Windham bend contours and 10mm risers on my 06 450F... I'm happy with the setup. No complaints about vibration or strength with the contours, but I haven't tested their strength yet :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.