Boéchat Moto electric start kit for R

15 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted September 20, 2006 - 06:37 PM

I know this has been talked about before but just thought I'd pass on this info on it. Some of you may not have read this before. Pricey, but at least it's available.

http://www.boechat.c...g_site/moto.jpg

Stemming from the well-proven system on the Hondas XR400, a new electric starter kit can be equally mounted from now on the XR650. This unique adaptation in Switzerland is a full challenge due to the innate know-how of a Jurassic bike mechanic.

Thanks to the talent of a bike mechanic crafty in electronic, the Hondas XR650 can be equipped from now on with an electric starter. Christian Boéchat, its ideas man, has already adapted this option on the Hondas XR400. Due to the success of this transformation, this process was conceivable for the bike of the superior range, as well from the technical, as from the economical point of view. Short reminder: The Honda XR650 has been especially designed for the US and Australian market as a cross-country approval. This range, proposed as an Enduro on the European market, has been adapted afterwards to super-biker. The importer Monnier Motos from Moudon was besides one of the main investigator.

Knowing that until now starting a XR650 with a kick was working well for use across the Atlantic, a system more suited to our European use was justified. Aware of the economic stake, the owner of Boéchat Moto in Delémont seized the opportunity to emerging in this promising gap in the market.

Carter in aluminium

First challege: the complete conceiving and making of a new carter. Concerning the adaptation of the electric starter of the XR400, its carter, available at Honda’s, didn’t need any modification. On the other hand, it had to be done for the XR650. “It wasn’t a question of simply making bigger on scale the existing parts of the smallest model to the biggest one, on the contrary. Even if I could partly use some of the same technologies, from one bike to the other, I had straight to conceive on the base a new carter made of aluminium, hence the novelty of this system, which is unique in Switzerland”, underlined Christian Boéchat. The carter in question has been machined out of a high quality aluminium alloy block with the original sizes of 310x210x35 mm. This mechanical operation has been done by René Domont SA in Courroux, using a CNC machine, according to the plan made by the owner of Boéchat Moto himself.

Doping the igniting

Second challenge for Christian Boéchat: the creation of an igniting booster. We know that an electric starter turns less quickly than a kick brought in action by foot, it’s obvious. Therefore he had to dope the igniting by perfecting an electronic card to be added to the bike to give more electric voltage to the spark plug.

Third challenge: the perfecting and the machining of parts complementary to the ones delivered by Honda, that means: a pinion starter, a crankshaft cone extension, a battery holder made of stainless steel and a torch (supplementary electric beam). Since the other provided parts (starter, pinions, fre wheel, bearings and so on.) are made by Honda, Boéchat Moto had everything he needed to make an entire kit. This one is available assembled. However, a good mechanic can acquire the basic parts and do the assembly by himself, according to the assembly plan delivered with the kit.

An internet homepage

For better service, Boéchat Moto even improved his internet homepage www.boechat.ch , which provides a catalogue with details and prizes of all the delivered parts. Exclusive agent for Honda since more than twenty-five years, Christian Boéchat also starts up first time… (Top-News.ch)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Mudshark

Posted September 20, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Kinda makes the BD E-start look like crap.... but yup it sure is expensive.
then again it has alot of custom casings.... out of my price range I'm afraid :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted September 21, 2006 - 01:48 AM

Kinda makes the BD E-start look like crap.... but yup it sure is expensive.
then again it has alot of custom casings.... out of my price range I'm afraid :thumbsup:

Yes,I guess I can't really say it's THAT expensive when like you say, a lot of custom castings and parts.

Now if one of you guys (I don't have a R) would initiate a GROUP BUY and call the company you might be able to save quite a bit on it??

I'd rather pay the extra $$ though then have the coffee can starter on, for sure.

Honda should make that production OR make both models!

• philipstjohn

Posted September 21, 2006 - 04:15 AM

How much is it? And, is there a website to check out? I tried the link and it had expired...

• pgiinc

Posted September 21, 2006 - 05:23 AM

looks like 1600 for full kit can someone confirm the dollor conversion?
I see no way to order it do you?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 21, 2006 - 07:06 AM

It looks alot like the Joe Racer kit made in California. It costs the same too. Joe Racers kit for the XR650R looks like a stock set up on a XR650L. Cost $1599.

The only problem with the Joe Racer kit is it received bad reviews from those who bought it. Out of 2 reviews I read here on TT years ago neither one got it working after they paid for it and they could not get their money back. That is why I went with Baja Designs instead of Joe Racer. Notice I said 2 years ago. It may be that Joe Racer has perfected it now. I don't know the answer to that.

Joe Racer

• Huffa 2

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:20 AM

How much is it? And, is there a website to check out? I tried the link and it had expired...

Try this one www.boechat.ch

• Huffa 2

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:24 AM

It looks alot like the Joe Racer kit made in California. It costs the same too. Joe Racers kit for the XR650R looks like a stock set up on a XR650L. Cost $1599.

The only problem with the Joe Racer kit is it received bad reviews from those who bought it. Out of 2 reviews I read here on TT years ago neither one got it working after they paid for it and they could not get their money back. That is why I went with Baja Designs instead of Joe Racer. Notice I said 2 years ago. It may be that Joe Racer has perfected it now. I don't know the answer to that.

Joe Racer

So they are two different kits? Are you sure this Joe Race guy doesn't just import it from Christian Boéchat ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 21, 2006 - 12:12 PM

So they are two different kits? Are you sure this Joe Race guy doesn't just import it from Christian Boéchat ?

Two years ago it was being sold as his design so if he was importing it he never let you think that. You might call him and ask. Who knows we all may learn something.

• Mudshark

Posted September 21, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Two years ago it was being sold as his design so if he was importing it he never let you think that. You might call him and ask. Who knows we all may learn something.

Yup the JR kit requires that you fabricate a braket the hold the Startermotor
on the top of the motor... not really a complete kit.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 21, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Yup the JR kit requires that you fabricate a braket the hold the Startermotor
on the top of the motor... not really a complete kit.

I believe that he sells his kit in various stages of completion for those who do not want the whole deal.

• Mudshark

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I believe that he sells his kit in various stages of completion for those who do not want the whole deal.

I thought so too.. but I'm reading these instructions from the "complete"
kit download. Well It looks great. It's mostly stock parts.
I think the BD can is fugly.. but hey it's proven and reliable.. and half the price. You showed me yours and it looks fine to me. :thumbsup:

• pburke

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:59 AM

this thing looks well designed, however, at half the price of what I paid for my entire DS'd XR, you really have to have a medical problem with you right leg to justify this...

:thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted September 22, 2006 - 06:18 AM

this thing looks well designed, however, at half the price of what I paid for my entire DS'd XR, you really have to have a medical problem with you right leg to justify this...

:lame:

............or have a lot of money!

You guys (just out of curiosity) should contact the place and ask what discount he could manage if a dozen or so guys bought it.

It can't hurt to try.

:thumbsup: Isn't anyone else curious?

Wonder if XR's only would be interested in a nice batch of them?

• pburke

Posted September 22, 2006 - 07:19 AM

You guys (just out of curiosity) should contact the place and ask what discount he could manage if a dozen or so guys bought it.

at 50% off I may be interested (mostly as a value added idea if I ever should sell the bike). And even then, I'd first spend that kind of money on a steering stabilizer setup.

• Mudshark

Posted September 22, 2006 - 01:29 PM

at 50% off I may be interested (mostly as a value added idea if I ever should sell the bike). And even then, I'd first spend that kind of money on a steering stabilizer setup.

Ditto :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.