CRF650X pictures - No Kidding!!!

43 replies to this topic
  • Winkel

Posted September 21, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I like the number plate/headlight. I was considering something like that for the offroad rides. I have mine plated too, and bought a Baja Designs headlight for it. It would keep me from destroying it even though they are pretty durable.

Winkel :thumbsup:

• Thunderbug

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:12 PM

I got to give you a "B" for originality (cause you built the bike we all have thought of)

But I'll sure give you an "A" for concept, competence and execution of design.

Best home brew bike I've seen in a long while.

• aytheist1

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:24 PM

next lets take the new ktm 950 supermoto motor, bore it out to 1000cc and put it in a 525sx and race it in open class to see what happens to those little 450's. like comparing a wiener dog to a werewolf. haha

• Few

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Nice, Good Work! Wish I could confiscate it some how for my own new ride.

• dukeryder

Posted September 22, 2006 - 01:22 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Get some motard wheels and you'd have a SICK street bike too.

• David_G

Posted September 22, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Really nice job!!!
I have gathered some of the pieces and parts along with a like concept of building a Pig lite. Mine will have to have some engine mods 680cc, XR’s only header, R4 can… and the list goes on… I am really interested in how that CRF swing arm/Olin Inv forks setup working for you? How does your slim fast pig handle the whoops or jumps and drop offs?
My lil project has not progressed very far its just taking up room in the garage. But I am not starting to feel some motivation again. Bruce I am starting to feel motivated again. Hint hint. Who needs an e botton, oh yea my girlfriend needs one. If I put an ebutton on an ultra lite pig I would she would take it and I would never see either of them again.
David Gray

• nastcat

Posted September 22, 2006 - 06:23 PM

I did CRF450R fork conversion on my BRP. Initially the reason I did the conversion was the availability of the CRF450 parts compared to the XR650R parts. The cost for my conversion was about $350.00 dollars in ebay parts, but my 650 forks were shot because my oldest son had used the XR650R to cut down a fence post. Also my oldest friend collided with a dune-buggy, so I donated my front wheel to him for his pig. So I didn't sell any parts on ebay to help recoup some of my costs. I believe that with the higher price of the XR650R parts a person could possibly do this conversion even up except for possibly your labor and maybe the small machining costs
I used the method described in this link,
http://home.comcast....c/CRFClampMods/
Everything went together very well and I'm very happy with the results. The method used in this thread seems like allot more work. Putting the XR650R steering stem in the CRF450 triple clamps was a breeze and then you just use the XR650R steering bearings. Any decent machine shop should be able to do the pocket in the upper clamp and bush the upper clamp at a fairly reasonable price.

• woodsryder

Posted September 22, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Still waiting for more ride time to check my softer rear spring. It looks like a rainy weekend ahead :lame: The forks were already set up well for me but I'll need to go up one spring rate for the heavier XR. Outside of a racetrack, there's no real jumps or drop offs in Michigan,.. but we are the whoop capital of the world. My first ride (200 miles) was with a way stiff rear spring and soft forks. Despite the unbalance it still tracked better through the whoops than ever before. I just had to get the weight way back. I got the springs changed out now and want to try again before I mess with valving.

I had already sold the XR forks, so didn't have a stem to swap out, but that way looks like a good option too. It was no problem for me to modify the bearing so it was a drop in fit. I also had to remove the big casting lump on the front of the XR frame to clear my custom low mount damper, but I see in the pics you could leave it there without the damper.

Someone should sell special top bearings so everyone could do the swap easy. :thumbsup:

• TexasXR650L

Posted September 23, 2006 - 12:06 AM

no joke, what is with the mirror? what can you see out that thing. id think you were tring to look at your nuts!

• woodsryder

Posted September 23, 2006 - 06:43 AM

The mirror works OK. All the top mount ones end up looking at your elbow unless they stick way out. This one looks below your arm.

Uh,.. did ya notice that red motorcycle attached to the mirror :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted September 25, 2006 - 12:46 PM

The easiest way to mount the upside down forks is through Emig Racing. They make a complete set of clamps for the XR650R to use current twin chamber showa forks. If you are using "older" style single chamber Kayaba's (I am), CR500R triple clamps are a bolt on proposition with some modifications to the steering stops. The newer CR500's used the same steering head bearings as the 650R.

The no-linkage shock in this application will work better than any KTM ever made. KTM's no-link shock problem resides from the non-centered location of their shock. It loads the frame un-evenly (twisting motion) and will eventually kick back at some point in time when the frame stresses unload. This usually will occur at an unopportune time (long whoops, g-outs, etc...). Remeber that KTM's original rational for the no-link was central placement of the carburator for induction, not weight loss or suspension action. A no-link in the center of the frame is much more ideal!

Great job on the work!

• weskc35k

Posted December 30, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Bump ...well why not so sue me .
This thing rocks i wonder how he's doin' wi' it.
Woodsy are you out there or in rehab from an accident.
Want to sell it?

• ESS

Posted December 31, 2006 - 03:57 PM

I had already sold the XR forks, so didn't have a stem to swap out, but that way looks like a good option too. It was no problem for me to modify the bearing so it was a drop in fit. I also had to remove the big casting lump on the front of the XR frame to clear my custom low mount damper, but I see in the pics you could leave it there without the damper.

Someone should sell special top bearings so everyone could do the swap easy. :lol:

They do. I got mine from www.evolutionsuspension.com . Give them a call. It only cost $60 and all I had to do was remove the top bearing and race and replace it with theirs. Then just modify the fork stops on the trees to get the turning radius I wanted. $60 and a little work with a grinder sounded a lot better than paying $525 for some trees.:confused:

• oldchvytrx

Posted December 31, 2006 - 04:00 PM

I Love it!
Only a diehard Mich. single track tree hugger/banger would do something like that.
Hope to see Ya on one of the CCC trails next summer. I'd love to see the bike up close and personal.

• reed1

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Bump.........

• xrMike

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Somebody had to do it,.. too bad it wasn't Honda. This isn't just a facelift with new plastics,.. it really is a CRF/XR hybrid. :thumbsup:

http://www.build-stuff.com/CRF650.htm

Page can't be found! What happened? I want to see too...

• jjesneck

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:43 PM

I second that...

• BBA

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:14 PM

That just aint right man! Im reading all of the praise and then the damn link will not work. The rest of us want to see too!:thumbsup:

• reed1

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hey i just found it and brought it to the top of the:excuseme: list dont blame me

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 14, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, I want to see this 'light' piggy...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.