Torn Labrum Recovery Time?

I recently had arthroscopic surgery to fix a torn labrum in the front of my shoulder (inferior, Bankart style injury). The surgery went very well and my shoulder feels amazingly good for only having surgery 2 weeks ago. Personally I think he is an excellent doctor and did a fantastic job, but the only problem is that I think he is very conservative about my recovery. He wants me to wear the sling for at least another 3 weeks (I have already stopped using it), not start physical therapy until the middle of next week, and last he says it will be 6 months ? before I can ride without risk of jacking it up again easily.

The reason I am posting is because I have heard that a full recovery can occur in half that time, and was hoping to hear some real experiences from those who have had similar operations. Thanks

Arthroscopic Bankarts are not as strong as a traditional open procedure.

I only do the time tested open procedure on MXers, and other collision athletes. Girls and couch potatoes get should get the arthroscopic procedure.

Actually with the open procedure, the scar can be entirely in the armpit and totallyo ut of sight.

I am totally down of arthroscopic Bankarts in MXers, rugby, and American football players.

Dang, and I was stoked it could be done arthroscopically because I thought the recovery would be faster, but thanks for the setting me straight!

Question though, is having it out of the sling and put to slight use (nothing overhead or stressing the labrum) bad for recovery too?

My son had this arthroscopic surgery a year ago after a football injury. He went through the slow rehab and was playing contact sports after 4 months. Dr. Mark, it's now been a year. Do you think if it's held together for a year, it's now as strong as ever?

• 2 years later...

I tore my labrum about 3 months ago, the doctor told me that because im young, it might heal on its own and i shouldent get surgery and i should just do physical therapy. its still not healed, i have the option of having surgery now, my shoulder is in ok condition but it still hurts when i do certain things. i have been riding and it feels ok, if i got the surgery what would be the soonest i could ride again? do you think its worth having the surgery at this point?i get out of school in 5 weeks for summer if i got the surgery do you think it would ruin my summer riding and other activities?

I tore my bicept tnedon, labrum and AC joint. I had open surgery and was in a sling for 6 Weeks, then PT for 3 months. 1 1/2 years larter i can ride fine ( rode after about 8 months) but i cannot throw a football or baseball, the motion throws my shoulder out even after surgery.

• 1 year later...

Dr. Mark -

I got planted on my shoulder off my KTM a short while ago and the local ortho guy is thinking torn labrum. He's thinking "slap repair", towards the bottoom of this web page:

http://jaxsportsdoc.com/p_shoulder.html#3

In your opinion, has this technology improved at all? Should it be used for someone like me who will most likely be falling off bikes for years to come?

I dont' use those stupid things, nor do I do SLAP repairs in MXers. Mostly I revise SLAP repairs in MXers to biceps tenodesis. Nor do I do the labrum repair thing any more. It is a good first operation to do on an extreme athlete, and it will hold them in the medical system for a few years back and fourth to the doctor. I do the Latajet reconstruction. This is many more times a more stouter a repair ready to stand up to the toughest things an extreme athlete may put himself through. THis junk really looks like yesterday's news.

I dont' use those stupid things, nor do I do SLAP repairs in MXers. Mostly I revise SLAP repairs in MXers to biceps tenodesis. Nor do I do the labrum repair thing any more. It is a good first operation to do on an extreme athlete, and it will hold them in the medical system for a few years back and fourth to the doctor. I do the Latajet reconstruction. This is many more times a more stouter a repair ready to stand up to the toughest things an extreme athlete may put himself through. THis junk really looks like yesterday's news.

FWIW, I'm not a MX'er, just a nutty rider who likes to find the edge. Many times that involves going over it!

I'll have to get a hold of your office to check Ins. coverage. I just may have to fly out to Tejas, unless you want to recommend someone here.