03 wr 450 missing

10 replies to this topic
  • jessy rogers

Posted September 19, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I have a 03 wr 450 with a bout 200 miles on it. Last summer it started missing, popping, stuttering past 1/3 throttle then cleared.I read about the woodruff key problem and had the dealer make the repair. The first owner had the following mods made prior to the bike leaving the dealer. Big Gun exhaust with header and air box mods. This year, I cut the grey wire, placed additional mods to the air box cover and installed a JD stage1 jet kit as directed.
Well guess what? The problem is back. So, I completely dissassembled the carb and cleaned all the passages and even tried jetting changes. The result was a leaner or richer running machine with the same problem. I figure that since the problem begins past 1/3 throttle and does not go away, it has nothing to do with the carb. In my last effort tonight, I replaced the plug thinking it may be just that simple. We will see what happens tomorrow.

If any one has some ideas, thow them my way... Thanks!

• Alley Cat

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:15 PM

If it is studdering it is rich. You say it is at 1/3 throttle, so drop the needle a clip (go leaner) and problem should go away.

• jessy rogers

Posted September 20, 2006 - 09:53 AM

Actually it is past 1/3 throttle and all the way through to wide open.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 20, 2006 - 02:27 PM

start with the needle.

• ferguscawley

Posted September 21, 2006 - 03:00 AM

Check to make sure the carb is seated properly into the rubber boot on intake side of engine. Also check to ensure intake rubber is not cracked or split.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 21, 2006 - 08:02 AM

We've also had to adjust the TPS to get it back into spec.

• lavoie du christ

Posted September 21, 2006 - 04:03 PM

TPS was my problem too.

• jessy rogers

Posted September 22, 2006 - 11:44 AM

Thanks, Lowering the needle helped quite abit . I still have abit of a stumble. Ironically the boot on the intake side was not square and possibly sucking air. I will check the tps next. However it runs much better.
Thanks Folks

• bader3245

Posted September 23, 2008 - 07:28 PM

We've also had to adjust the TPS to get it back into spec.

What are the specs on the TPS?

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 23, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Yamaha service manual states:

TPS output voltage
Adjustment steps:
Adjust the installation angle of the TPS 1
to obtain the specified output voltage.
Measure the output voltage accurately with a
digital electronic voltmeter that gives an easy
reading of a small voltage.
TPS output
Tester selector
0.58 ~ 0.78 V DCV

• jandmsuburban7

Posted September 28, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hey, if it is an 03 and has that few miles on it. Maybe it sat long enough to gob up the petcock and you need to pull it out and clean it with some brake clean and small brush??!! Jason

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.