XR200R Modification Guide

Quick Draw

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a used 18" wheel from fleebay (probably because we are all looking for one) has anyone bought a new rim and a spoke kit and built a wheel? What brand rim and spokes did you use? How much did it costs for the parts? I know it's tough but I have a whole winter to do it, and I'm tired of trying to find a decent tire for 17".

Thanks.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a used 18" wheel from fleebay (probably because we are all looking for one) has anyone bought a new rim and a spoke kit and built a wheel? What brand rim and spokes did you use? How much did it costs for the parts? I know it's tough but I have a whole winter to do it, and I'm tired of trying to find a decent tire for 17".

Thanks.

Try searching local junkyards. There's a pile of 18" rims in mine. Most go for $35.

The back of motorcycle magazines like Cycle World have ads for junkyards. Make sure you know exactly what you want and what will fit your bike. The junkyards don't.

"O"

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone have engine and/or chassis tuning info on the '84 or '85 XR200 with the RFVC (4 valve) motors?

Thanks

Paul

Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clymer-service-repair-Manual-honda-XR200R-84-85-XR200_W0QQitemZ170044355611QQihZ007QQcategoryZ88433QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

The picture must be a generic clymers manual pic, that happens to have a manual for a quad...but that should be what you need...

For anything that manual doesn't tell you, there is almost surely somebody on this board that knows the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

How would like to try it for us, and report back? Everybody has to be a guinea pig at some point... :worthy:

Thanks for the link. I have seen that site before.... There is a TON of information and reading....some of it useful. I have decided to edit the sticky. I'm going to put "helpful XR200 links" at the bottom of it. This one goes first, now everybody give me some more....

• 4 weeks later...

"I put an FMF Powere Core 4 on my wifes 99xr200 and it is way too loud. I have come up empty looking for a quiet insert for this particular pipe."

when i had my 1996 xr200, i had a 125 main jet and a 40 pilot jet in it with stock exhaust and a k&n air filter. and it ran great. almost no hesitation and i pulled hard for a simple mod. i rode in similar elevation and above with no problems. and it started on the first kick every time even in hot summer heat or in the the dead of winter

• 4 weeks later...

Now to add some of my own useful info from my recent experience. I did port and polish my head my self. At my house in my garage. I used a dremel with different grinding stones to port match the intake and actually open it up a hair. I smoothed out the short side radius and straightened the flow path pretty nicely. I did the same for the exhaust and intake. To polish the exhaust side I started off with 400 grit sand paper and worked my way forward until I was using 2000 grit. I then used a buffing wheel on my dremel with some different grit metal polishing compounds to finish off. I forgot to take pics but it's really not much to see. As far as the results I was pretty pleased. The throttle is much more responsive. Power delivery is really smooth. I can roll on the throttle in 3rd gear and raise the front wheel up. Now I am not sure the piston and or cam is stock in my bike. I am sure the piston is not an overbore as i put stand bore rings on the bike. They fit perfectly. It may be a higher compression piston and there may be a different cam in the bike. I honestly didn't think there should be when I had the motor apart so I did not try to determine they were anything other than stock. I am using a slightly longer rear chain which extends my wheel base a hair and should make pulling wheelies harder. All in all I felt the porting and polishing was a nice touch.

Disclaimer: I know I wasn't very detailed but I do not want some kid to grab out his dad's dremel and go start grinding on his head. I have been porting and polishing heads on cars for a long time. I have some experience in what I was doing. If you are not experienced in porting and polishing I suggest you send it out to get the work done. It is possible to hurt flow more than help the flow.

• Like 1